As a Client, Would You Prefer Structure or Unstructured Therapy?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Poll As a Client, Would You Prefer Structure or Unstructured Therapy? (23 votes)

Structured 26%
Unstructured 43%
It Doesn't Matter 30%

Mental health therapy has a lot of different theoretical perspectives, interventions, ways to few the therapeutic process, and so on. There's a lot of research that more or less supports nearly all types of therapeutic processes and perspectives. But what isn't always covered is how clients feel during therapy. Do they enjoy the way therapy is progressing? Are they melding well with this therapist's style? Ideally, a therapist will ask a client how they feel about therapy or might notice that therapy doesn't feel to be moving as smoothly as expected.

But I'm interested in one aspect of therapy where I tend to differ from my peers. I run therapy sessions in a more unstructured way. Typically, I have a general outline in my head of where I want a session to go based off of how I think about a client and what has happened in the previous sessions. But I usually forget about it and let my interactions in the current moment in time with the client guide where the session goes. Often my plan goes right out the window. Like today, I had a big plan to do a certain, structured activity with a client and ended up acting out a role-play to build social skills. I did this because that is what the client was focusing on and my plan didn't seem relevant anymore.

But a lot of therapist will say that therapy has to focus on set goals for each session. That you adapt the therapy to a client but only within the confines of a structured therapeutic model. They would say that my therapy is a bit rudderless and that I'm not working on enough set goals. I would argue that the therapeutic relationship is the most important intervention a therapist has and should be used more often than anything else. That to ignore what feels right in the moment is wasting an opportunity even if the therapy looks a bit wayward.

But some clients prefer that structure. Other prefer a more spontaneous, non-linear approach. And, like with a lot of things us therapists obsess over, it could be that it doesn't matter at all to a client. So, if you were a client attending mental health therapy, what type of therapy would you like; structured or unstructured? Or does it not matter at all?

• 
TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TyCobb

To be honest, I don't feel as though this is a question with a definite answer -- for anyone really. I believe this would be completely dependent on the mood of the client at the time of the session.

I guess "It Doesn't Matter" would be my vote because I don't think it does as long as you and the client feel like progress is being made and it allows the client to be more open one way or the other.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Effective therapy?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3  Edited By JasonR86

Effective therapy?

If only it were so easy.

@tycobb said:

To be honest, I don't feel as though this is a question with a definite answer -- for anyone really. I believe if this would be completely dependent on the mood of client at the time of the session.

I guess "It Doesn't Matter" would be my vote because I don't think it does as long as you and the client feel like progress is being made and it allows the client to be more open one way or the other.

Yeah, that could be the case for a lot of people. This might be a case of me over-thinking as us therapist are want to do.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I think I'd feel more comfortable in trusting the therapist's judgment. They're the professional, and while I'm hypothetically the subject of the therapy, I think it'd be best if I let the therapist use whatever methods they also find most suitable. For the sake of the pole I voted ''doesn't matter'' anywhoo.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By damodar

I suppose my complete layman's opinion is that it depends on the client. If they're really making an effort to confront and deal with whatever issues, an unstructured approach should yield results. If they're not ready for that approach and are being cagey or evasive, it might be more difficult. At the same time, an unstructured approach might create a more relaxed mood that helps them get to that place where more structure might create friction if they're resistant.

So I guess I have no idea? :3

I think you're approaching it in a good way if you recognise both schools of thought and can sort of play fast and loose, moving between them as you see most beneficial. I have to imagine there's a little bit of an art to therapy, along with the science.

I kind of lean towards unstructured, but I'm also a serial procrastinator, so maybe structured would be better for me personally?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Voting "It doesn't matter" because it does matter but on a case-by-case basis and I've never had therapy.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I would think it's pretty clear you would need to take it on a case by case basis. Once you have a feel for what is most effective for the client use that with them. But always be ready going in to switch things up because maybe it's just been a weird day/week/month for them and you gotta approach it from a different way. We are all snowflakes and all.

Keep in mind of course that this expert opinion comes from my extensive years - i.e. 0 - as a Doctor and ignoring the fact that I probably need a therapist myself. Or at least a stay in an asylum.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I introspect way too much and hang up on things on my own. So if I went to a therapist with a specific problem in my head, then I'd want that to be treated, not some grandiose plan they made based on last time we met. And I'm generally all for spontaneous reactions and reads. And shouldn't this issue really be based around the client and not the therapist? Just as people learn differently and think differently, shouldn't also mental treatment be moldable around how the client's thinking works? But then again, I'm not a therapist. Maybe there is something at the core of every person that can positively relate to the way goals are set.

Yusar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Interesting topic. I never really thought about it before now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think I couldn't give you an accurate prediction until I was in the position to actually need therapy.

I can't help but feel that the people who are pushing structure on you seem more like they're into the accumulation of completed tasks rather than making progress. As if they were more interested in making a good show than in results.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Justin258

Everyone's different. I guess you should try to figure out if the client would be better off with a more structured or more unstructured approach. So... try structured at first and if you think it isn't work, go unstructured?

I feel like mental health is something that is too undefined to have a single "technique" or set of techniques that the therapist centers around him or herself and uses all the time. It's not like a heart or a central nervous system or a stomach, all of which work the same way for everyone and every doctor can know what to expect when going in.

But, hey, I forgot everything I learned in that one psychology class I took. You're the expert here.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

@tycobb said:

To be honest, I don't feel as though this is a question with a definite answer -- for anyone really. I believe this would be completely dependent on the mood of the client at the time of the session.

Nail on the head. From my experience, I would prefer a much more structured approach, but the therapists I have seen preferred a more stream-of-consciousness style of just seeing where my mind goes to and sort of poking along the way. However I personally like structure and routine, and having someone steer things along seems like a much better method. However that is something that I think works well for me and realise that everyone is different

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been undergoing therapy for a few weeks now(partially for first hand research for if I get into school for Psychology), and we've been undergoing an unstructured style. I've definitely enjoyed it so far, and I personally I agree with her reasons for doing it. While she does have goals(we went over my treatment plan last night), the bulk of what we actually talk about is based off of what I've experienced and dealt with throughout the week. Her reasoning is that doing it completely structured can sometimes make things feel too detached, as if your plan overrides the desires/need of the client. Either that, or it can lead to you spending time on something that is irrelevant at the end of the day. However, she is also a big proponent of taking things on a case by case basis, in that every client has different needs, therefore necessitating different methods. The only right answer is the one that helps your current client the most.

Like I said though, as a client and potential therapist, I feel that unstructured seems like an overall stronger approach, at least to a certain extent. We actually related this topic to another thing I went through recently, which was my college interview. I'm 26, so my situation is a bit different than the average college student. So, when I had my interview, they had a very clearly defined list of questions to ask me, one of which was "How do you deal with peer pressure", which I had to fight the urge to laugh at. I haven't even thought about that term for ten years! However, they had this list of questions, and they had to ask it. Then, any time I answered, she was constantly typing my answers up exactly, never making eye contact or communicating with me. It was a very awkward experience, and I felt a huge disconnect.

The danger of doing structured is that it can feel like that interviewer rattling off questions to me. Unfocused, some didn't even pertain to me, and overall it just feels like a missed opportunity that wasn't about me as a person, but just about them asking the questions they want to ask. It felt all about them. Obviously, structured can work as well, as unstructured has drawbacks as well in the wrong hands. As with all things, the answer probably lies somewhere in the middle.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had to switch therapists once, because her style was too unstructured for me. But it is a spectrum, I wouldn't want to be all the way on the other end, either. It's about finding whats best for your client, I think, but also accepting that not every client/therapist pair is gonna be a good match, and that's okay.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No idea. It's never crossed by mind once since I don't need therapy. I'm perfect, just the way I am.