Best headphones for $150?

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SexyToad

So for christmas my dad is giving me $150 so I can go buy what I want. So I wanted to get some awesome headphones. But I have no idea which headphones to get. I'm looking for some headphones that aren't cheaply made (I had some in the past that broke apart within 2 months), over the head, headphones (I'm not sure what to call them... But the ones that go on your head rather than in your ears.), and of course sound great. Any help will be appreciated!

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ArcLyte

For gaming? Astro makes a model that's around $150, that sounds amazing.

Incapability

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Incapability

Sennheiser HD555. Saw them on Amazon for exactly 150 bucks. As endorsed by Ryan Davis, too.

I've had the 595's for years - I'm not sure how many now, but I want to say at least 6 years, and they've worked like a charm regardless of what I've thrown at them. They also sound fantastic. I've tried the 555's too, and I know a handful of people who swear by them - they're fantastic, German engineering at it's finest.

You won't be disappointed with those - and they'll last forever.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By endaround

@SexyToad said:

So for christmas my dad is giving me $150 so I can go buy what I want. So I wanted to get some awesome headphones. But I have no idea which headphones to get. I'm looking for some headphones that aren't cheaply made (I had some in the past that broke apart within 2 months), over the head, headphones (I'm not sure what to call them... But the ones that go on your head rather than in your ears.), and of course sound great. Any help will be appreciated!

I just got recommended these

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353719961&sr=1-1

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Sooty

Sennheiser HD555s are fantastic. I've had the 595s for 5 years.

Only get Astro if you want to use them for the 360 or PS3. Otherwise you are far better off with real headphones and not gaming headsets. The Astros just make it easier to connect them to PS3/360 if you don't already have an amplifier of some sort.

smekke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By smekke

You could probably find a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's for around $200. But if you don't want to spend more than 150, Sennheiser is a great choice.

German made headphones are pretty damn good!

shikon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By shikon

Sennheiser HD 5xx is a really nice headset series as people have mentioned.

what you need to know about them tough is that they have an open design so they don't block any sound at all.

so if you are in the same room as a TV. they might not be the best choice.

and they are a terrible choice if you want to use them in a train or bus.

that said i own a pair and love them!

sushix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sushix

Headphones used to be a interest of mine, I spent a lot of time over at Head-Fi. Usually the first step is to find out what type you're even looking for.

There are 4 main groups of headphones - in-ear, earbud, supra-aural, and circumaural.

In-ear is like a ear-plug, designed for sound isolation. You should know what a earbud is. Supra-aural means the headphones sit flat on top of your ear. Circumaural are the large headphones where the cups go around your ear.

The second consideration is whether the headphones are 'open or 'closed'. Open headphones will leak out sound that's usually audible to anyone in the room; usually makes them unusable in any public places. However the trade off is sound quality that gives speakers worth the price of a new car a run for their money.

Closed headphones will seal the sound with minimal leak(commonly used in studios for recording), but because the sound is trapped and unable to escape freely, the sound quality is generally considered lower than open headphones. If you asked me to describe it, I'd say the closed headphones tend to sound more "ting-y".

One last consideration is the impedance. Basically, it tells you how much energy the headphones want to power the drivers properly. They're commonly marked in the specifications with a number followed by an omega symbol. Higher the number, the more power hungry the headphones are. 16-64 ohms are generally what I look for out of most headphones as it will enable you to use it with most sources, such as ipods, laptops, speakers, etc. Top level headphones can be around 150-600 ohms and you'll most definitely need an amplifier for those.

In terms of brand, as others have mentioned, Sennheiser is a great company and my last 3 headphones have been theirs.

Or alternatively, you could let everyone around you know how you have no knowledge of headphones whatsoever by buying Beats or Skull Candy. ;)

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Kerned

I have had a pair of Grado 225s for several years, and I couldn't be happier with them. They are slightly more than $150 ($200), but are truly amazing and great for the price.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By bassman2112

If you're looking for something that doesn't have a mic built-in, then I must ABSOLUTELY recommend you the Audio Technica ATH-M50.

I have a pair, and am a professional musician. Everyone I know (who uses/mixes with headphones) has them as well. They are really, really flat (meaning their frequency response is great all over), and really clear.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By VisariLoyalist