Bing it?

metalicat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By metalicat

With microsoft's bing.com taking off, I asked myself the question of whether or not it could really become true competition to the google machine. I forgot the name for this term, but there is indeed one for it. There is a term that describes when a company or a brand name becomes the iconic staple of an industry or market. For example, when I ask someone for tissue paper with which to blow my nose I don't actually ask for tissue paper. I ask for a kleenex. Kleenex had such a great mind and marketshare that there brand name became the product itself.  The first time I went to the store and realized kleenex was a brand name I was like damn how can anyone else make an impact when people think there product should say kleenex on the side. Google has done much of the same thing, I don't know when people first started doing it. I do remember some time back in the 90's when people said you could look it up on the internet and gave me a whole slew of search engines like lycos, askjeeves(ask.com) or yahoo. Nowadays whenever I or someone else asks for information the typical response is google it. Other than their crapton of money, how can microsoft combat such ridiculous market penetration in which google's name is attached to the very concept of using a search engine.

metalicat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By metalicat

With microsoft's bing.com taking off, I asked myself the question of whether or not it could really become true competition to the google machine. I forgot the name for this term, but there is indeed one for it. There is a term that describes when a company or a brand name becomes the iconic staple of an industry or market. For example, when I ask someone for tissue paper with which to blow my nose I don't actually ask for tissue paper. I ask for a kleenex. Kleenex had such a great mind and marketshare that there brand name became the product itself.  The first time I went to the store and realized kleenex was a brand name I was like damn how can anyone else make an impact when people think there product should say kleenex on the side. Google has done much of the same thing, I don't know when people first started doing it. I do remember some time back in the 90's when people said you could look it up on the internet and gave me a whole slew of search engines like lycos, askjeeves(ask.com) or yahoo. Nowadays whenever I or someone else asks for information the typical response is google it. Other than their crapton of money, how can microsoft combat such ridiculous market penetration in which google's name is attached to the very concept of using a search engine.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Bling is as useful as an IMAX movie for a blind guy.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

...I like Bing...

but it's true, it will never so much as put a scratch on Google.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
@metalicat:  Is the term monopoly? Sounds like what you were goin for. But anyways I think it will go nowhere just like Live Search did. I'm not sure if the plan all along was to scrap Live Search when "Bing" was ready. But Live Search just seemed like another search engine. Someones gonna have to do something revolutionary to dethrone google.
metalicat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By metalicat
@JJWeatherman:  the only reason I didn't use the term monopoly is because they don't have exclusive control over searching the internet. I was looking for the term of when a name becomes synonymous with a product or a service... actually I just found it metonymy or a genericized trademark.
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ahriman22

Bing looks like google (The search results), hell, I bet if I run wireshark I'll see google's IP appear on the list.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ahriman22

Bing looks like google (The search results), hell, I bet if I run wireshark I'll see google's IP appear on the list.

Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Steven

Bing is neat and I use it occasionally, but it's no where near dethroning google for me.  And telling someone to "bing it" will never catch on.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By natetodamax

Funny, my homeroom teacher's nickname is Bing.

MrPerfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By MrPerfect

Bing is alright, I used only once and most likely will use it again.