Book of Eli: Any Good?

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By skrutop

The trailers made The Book of Eli look like Fallout: The Movie.  Did anyone see it?  Is it any good?

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pwnasaurus
Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Nitrocore

I went to see it yesterday and it was pretty good actually, a few fight scenes throw in a a straight to the point story line, mixed with a plot twist and add half a tea spoon of Denzil Washington being a badass. It's a little stretched out towards the end but overall I thought it was entertaining, I'd say Fallout was definitely it's inspiration.

illumination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By illumination

Not really. 3/5 simply because of the twist at the end. 

Expected more but i guess I'm a fool of my own hype.

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By therabidfrog

I thought it was very entertaining. Has some deeper layers to the story and cool violence. Pretty darn cool.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Bruce

The thing that I think is cool about that movie: It was written by a former editor at Computer Gaming Monthly I believe.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thatpinguino  Moderator

It is very much fallout the movie.  I spent about 90% of the movie feeling like i was watching a faster paced fallout 3 complete with megaton and destroyed highway overpasses.  Though i really did enjoy that part as weird as it sounds.  It felt like alot of the movie was an inside joke to for people who played fallout.  From looting abandoned houses to visiting the local merchant.  I loved it but i am not sure if my experience was very normal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I dont know about The Book Of Eli, but I saw Youth In Revolt last night and it was great.
septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By septim

I don't really see the Fallout comparisons going beyond the general setting. It's more akin to a spaghetti Western in terms of actual story.

I really enjoyed it. It's one of those rare movies where you don't know where the story is headed. Gary Oldman is fantastic as the villain and Kunis and Washington turn in better than average performances as well.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Milkman

Saw it yesterday. It was not a quality film. You know that Family Guy episode with The Passion of the Christ 2? Where "Jesus is back....AND HE'S PISSED"? Yeah, it's pretty much that.

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Feser

It reminded me alot of the Boondock Saints for some unexplainable reason and Avatar . . . . Yeah, I'm confused. 

I thought aesthetically it was very original, and throughout the entire movie I  was itching to see what would happen next. As for the twist, which is the reason why alot of critics hate the movie, I thought fit perfectly in the context of the film. When the last shot rolls in it seems like the movie is embracing it's over-the-top conclusion, as if to say "How could have things happened any differant?" Some may dismiss the movie at that point as merely average, but  if you accept it for what is than it may end up as one of your favorite films.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwho

Had some great fights. I didn't really see how what the book turned out to be would, you know, fix the ozone. Some really cool fights, I though.
So let's talk about the twist that has a bunch of smug athiests cringing. What the book is.

So this, what Im about to say, isn't what the book is, but this is what the book should have been cus it would have made more sense. I'm about to spoil what the book isn't, so beware!

The book should have been about geo-engineering and Eli should have been heading west to give the geo-engineering stuff to someone there who could then build something to set off Yellowstone Park aka the largest volcano in the states and one of the largest on earth, thereby fixing the ozone with the sulfur it deposits in the atmosphere. So that's how the movie shoud have ended. That's not how it ended though.
This theory is what Im referring to.

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By teptom
@Bruce said:
" The thing that I think is cool about that movie: It was written by a former editor at Computer Gaming Monthly I believe. "
Yeah, former editor-in-chief of PC Gamer, Gary Whitta, wrote it. 
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Evilsbane
@Milkman said:
" Saw it yesterday. It was not a quality film. You know that Family Guy episode with The Passion of the Christ 2? Where "Jesus is back....AND HE'S PISSED"? Yeah, it's pretty much that. "
Wait wait wait . . . . bad analogy because Passion of The Christ 2 looked awesome **runs to the theater**    

. . . not really, I had the choice and I saw The Lovely Bones instead.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho

Lovely Bones was a hokey mess. Someone get Jackson an editor, Christ.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Evilsbane
@ryanwho said:
" Lovely Bones was a hokey mess. Someone get Jackson an editor, Christ. "
I liked watching it....I was ...having some fun that night so it was pretty Trippy. Could have been better but it was a nice visual experience and it had a nice moral.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ninjakiller

Awful...because of the ending.  It's so laughably stupid because of the supposed "twist" ending which made no sense since the film took place in America. 

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By skrutop
@septim said:
" I don't really see the Fallout comparisons going beyond the general setting. It's more akin to a spaghetti Western in terms of actual story.0"
Isn't every post-apocalyptic movie like a spaghetti western?
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho
@skrutop said:
" @septim said:
" I don't really see the Fallout comparisons going beyond the general setting. It's more akin to a spaghetti Western in terms of actual story.0"
Isn't every post-apocalyptic movie like a spaghetti western? "
Basically. Apparently when we lose our structural governmental body everyone turns into a gunslinger.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Scooper

I've liked the look of the movie since I first saw a trailer. It looks like Fallout the movie. I want to see it but probably won't since there's no good movie theatre close.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ninjakiller
@skrutop said:
" @septim said:
Watch The Road....nothing like spaghetti westerns, as it accurately portrays the end of the world imo. 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho
@ninjakiller said:
" @skrutop said:
" @septim said:
Watch The Road....nothing like spaghetti westerns, as it accurately portrays the end of the world imo.  "
?
Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ApertureSilence

I hated The Book of Eli, partially because of the religious themes, partially because of the repetitiveness, partially because Eli is so darn near invincible that there can be no suspense, but MOSTLY because of the horrendous twist ending which MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ninjakiller
@ryanwho said:
" @ninjakiller said:
" @skrutop said:
" @septim said:
Watch The Road....nothing like spaghetti westerns, as it accurately portrays the end of the world imo.  "
? "
Fine try this link instead. 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ryanwho

Nono. The part about accurately portraying the end of the world. If the world was over, there wouldn't be a movie. And the book/movie don't even touch the cuase of the current state of the world. I don't see what's accurate about it.

juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By juice8367

I thought the story was shit but the action was good.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Evilsbane
@ryanwho said

Apparently when we lose our structural governmental body everyone turns into a gunslinger. "

I KNOW I can't wait!!
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ninjakiller
@ryanwho said:
" Nono. The part about accurately portraying the end of the world. If the world was over, there wouldn't be a movie. And the book/movie don't even touch the cuase of the current state of the world. I don't see what's accurate about it. "
I meant in the context of the discussion.   The day to day struggle to just survive after the collapse of a modern society. 

...Why would it have to touch on what caused the current state?  There wasn't radiation as far as I could see, and the continual darkness most likely meant a comet or large asteroid hit Earth.  The cause was besides the point, as it was secondary to the survival story. 
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#29  Edited By AgentJ
@Nitrocore said:

" I went to see it yesterday and it was pretty good actually, a few fight scenes throw in a a straight to the point story line, mixed with a plot twist and add half a tea spoon of Denzil Washington being a badass. It's a little stretched out towards the end but overall I thought it was entertaining, I'd say Fallout was definitely it's inspiration. "

No, The Road (a book that inspired Fallout 3) was used as inspiration for Eli's wasteland. Interesting timing with the actual "The Road" movie coming out right before this one did.  

@ryanwho

said:

" Had some great fights. I didn't really see how what the book turned out to be would, you know, fix the ozone. Some really cool fights, I though.
So let's talk about the twist that has a bunch of smug athiests cringing. What the book is.

So this, what Im about to say, isn't what the book is, but this is what the book should have been cus it would have made more sense. I'm about to spoil what the book isn't, so beware!

The book should have been about geo-engineering and Eli should have been heading west to give the geo-engineering stuff to someone there who could then build something to set off Yellowstone Park aka the largest volcano in the states and one of the largest on earth, thereby fixing the ozone with the sulfur it deposits in the atmosphere. So that's how the movie shoud have ended. That's not how it ended though.
This theory is what Im referring to.

"
As something resembling an smug atheist myself, I actually really liked the identity of the book. It was very tastefully done, because it showed both the good and bad sides of religion. It had the people who wanted nothing more than to use the book to control, and it had the people who genuinely believed and wanted to use the book right. That aspect was one I really enjoyed about the movie.  

I'll tell you what, I thought the movie was great all the way up until about the 2/3rds mark. It was as soon as the plot arrived at the old people's home that things started getting jumbled and predictable/ridiculous. The pacing was thrown off, we saw Oldman in about 10 different meaningless scenes before he finds out about his error, and there was a complete lack of suspense. The movie degraded to telling rather than showing, and that's always a kiss of death in my eyes.  

I'll tell you what though, I thought the twist with Eli's character was kind of clever. They had hinted at it throughout the entire movie (when the Ipod died, when he first walked into town, meeting the woman) and I didn't really get it until then. 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ryanwho

Yeah really. The whole

thing was obviously the thing to happen, so they should have just gotten that bit over with prettymuch as soon as he got the book. Idunno. I really really dug most of the movie, I feel like it was well made and well acted and a lot of people are just forgetting all of that because of the last 20 minutes. I'd reccomend it for the fights alone. I just didn't leave with any kind of "well now things are on the upward turn" cus most people still can't read and the environment is still fucked up. Really, about the smallest victory possible is what you get. Whichm right, speaks to the deserpation of the time, that any microscopic thing that could help becomes incredibly important. Im overthinking it.
This is a problem I have sometimes with scifi. They don't want you to think too much, then they have bits where they're suddenly going to add a bunch of layers and are daring you to dissect it. But they didn't bother to check if that level of scrutiny held up everywhere else. Either fill every hole or call it what it is, swiss cheese.
Again, I liked this movie. I would absolutely recommend it over Daybreakers just because its just a much better made movie.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RetroIce4
@illumination said:
" Not really. 3/5 simply because of the twist at the end.   Expected more but i guess I'm a fool of my own hype. "
Ehh. Is that Khalifa as your avatar?
alexrubens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By alexrubens

I really liked it. The ending really pushed me over the "This movie is awesome" edge.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By habster3

I dunno but nice avatar!

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By therabidfrog
@MurderByDeath: You have to be familiar with the biblical themes and ideas that are interlaced into the plot. But sorry it spoiled your emotionally attached atheist vibe.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was pretty entertaining, though I wish they explained what the whole "LEMME SEE YOUR HANDS TO FIND OUT IF YOU'RE A HIJACKER!" thing.

ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ApertureSilence
@therabidfrog said:

" @MurderByDeath: You have to be familiar with the biblical themes and ideas that are interlaced into the plot. But sorry it spoiled your emotionally attached atheist vibe. "

I am well aware of the biblical allusions made throughout the film, but that doesn't make any of the ridiculous shit that happens any more credible.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By teh_destroyer
@Evilsbane said:
" @ryanwho said

Apparently when we lose our structural governmental body everyone turns into a gunslinger. "

I KNOW I can't wait!! "
that would be awesome :0
therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By therabidfrog
@MurderByDeath said:
" @therabidfrog said:

" @MurderByDeath: You have to be familiar with the biblical themes and ideas that are interlaced into the plot. But sorry it spoiled your emotionally attached atheist vibe. "

I am well aware of the biblical allusions made throughout the film, but that doesn't make any of the ridiculous shit that happens any more credible. "
I ain't saying it ain't silly. I am saying you're a douche for out right hating something for having religious ideas thrown in.
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ApertureSilence
@therabidfrog said:

" @MurderByDeath said:

" @therabidfrog said:

I am well aware of the biblical allusions made throughout the film, but that doesn't make any of the ridiculous shit that happens any more credible. "
I ain't saying it ain't silly. I am saying you're a douche for out right hating something for having religious ideas thrown in. "
My mistake. I should have expressed myself differently. I don't have a problem with the mere presence of religious themes per se, but with the heavy-handed and ludicrous way they are handled. There is no subtlety to any of it, it's just hitting the audience over the head with a crucifix-shaped sledgehammer. It's already difficult to suspend one's disbelief during the film's outlandish action scenes, but then the final plot twist (which I easily guessed, what with the characteristics of the biblical Eli) in retrospect makes them even less believable. 

Avatar image for featheredrainbows
FeatheredRainbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was okay. Gary oldman, and Dezel Washington were good but Mila Kunis was nothing special and the plot gets a bit ridiculous later on. i am fine with religion being in films, but this film was about as subtle as a pitchfork in the bum.

ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ApertureSilence
@therabidfrog said: 
I am saying you're a douche for out right hating something for having religious ideas thrown in. "
I should add that you're a douche for assuming I am outright hating the movie for the religious ideas only. There are a great many issues with The Book of Eli, very notably it's repetitive narrative structure and the fact that the hero is so powerful, there is nary a sense of threat or suspense to be found. Seriously, how often do we have to see that damn scene where a couple of thugs threaten Eli and he makes mincemeat of them, only for him to walk for five minutes, run into yet another couple of thugs, and make mincemeat of them, too.  With a hero that overpowered, with superhuman melee skills and marksmanship, where is the excitement?
therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By therabidfrog
@MurderByDeath: 
@MurderByDeath: Perfectly understandable, but there are some subtleties to the story that most might not catch. For instance the subtle inference that Eli himself maybe a Nazerite, and of course there is a Biblical precedent for mere mortals receiving serious killing powers so I guess you could say it's "In cannon" for lack of a better phrase. Though I agree completely that the violence and most of the plot had comic book written all over it I had lowered expectations and found myself enjoying it. I just found it refreshing to see a different perspective even if it is mashed up in a comic book plot. But I completely understand your perspective. But you're still an uber douche for back sliding on your obvious intent. 
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By teh_destroyer
@therabidfrog said:
" @MurderByDeath: 
@MurderByDeath: Perfectly understandable, but there are some subtleties to the story that most might not catch. For instance the subtle inference that Eli himself maybe a Nazerite, and of course there is a Biblical precedent for mere mortals receiving serious killing powers so I guess you could say it's "In cannon" for lack of a better phrase. Though I agree completely that the violence and most of the plot had comic book written all over it I had lowered expectations and found myself enjoying it. I just found it refreshing to see a different perspective even if it is mashed up in a comic book plot. But I completely understand your perspective. But you're still an uber douche for back sliding on your obvious intent.  "
I really liked the fact that the movie didn't have a source, some dude just wrote the script and they made the movie. It felt good going into a movie not knowing anything about it.
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ApertureSilence
@therabidfrog said:
@MurderByDeath:  But you're still an uber douche for back sliding on your obvious intent.  "
Reread my initial post. My so-called "obvious intent", assuming that you're referring to my prejudice against religious themes, was but one of several points I made about the movie, which I have reiterated for clarification in a consistent manner. You only chose to fixate on that one particular point because you took personal offense to it, while ignoring the others. I have done no back sliding. 

Douche.
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By Mrnitropb

All I need to know:
Is it better, equal, or worse than Man on Fire?