Bryan Fuller is making the next Star Trek tv show.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Bryan Fuller, showrunner of Hannibal and Pushing Daisies, has been named the showrunner of a new Star Trek series. This is honestly the first thing in a long while to make me feel optimistic about Star Trek's future. Bryan Fuller is a great showrunner with a history with Trek.

Still apparently going to be broadcast on CBS's dumb new web service.

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@personandstuff: Is the web service secretly Giant Bomb?

And this might get me to finally check out Star Trek. I'm always interested in the small bits of universe I hear and I like the new movies. I realize that those are action heavy but as Star Trek fans have said, being on TV lets them do the stuff Star Trek is good at.

And I like Bryan Fuller. Or at least I like the show I've seen from him, Pushing Daisies. Yes, I know he has other shows.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super unfortunate about the web service thing. I love Star Trek. I've always been a fan of Star Trek, but it wasn't until 2009 or so where I'd keep watching the re-runs of TNG on BBC (and not because of the new movie, that wasn't even on my mind), but then 2013, I watched every episode of all Trek's, and I was very content. I have fond memories of basically marathoning them (well, five episodes at most a day perhaps). I watched TNG first since I've already seen the majority of them through re-runs, and when I was younger, then I went back to the original; Deep Space Nine; Voyager, and then finally Enterprise. I liked them all. I never really liked any of the movies, but love First Contact, and found that despite the new ones not being what I want out of Star Trek, for what they are they were enjoyable. I actually can't believe it was three years ago that I ended watching them all, I was pretty bummed that it was over.

Loading Video...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Holy shit! That could be amazing!

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'd be more excited if Bryan Fuller's history with the franchise didn't extend to mainly Voyager.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#6 fisk0  Moderator

I just hope their web service will be available here in Sweden. It's a massive bummer that it seems WWE Network is the only internationally available service. HBO and Netflix have launched services here, but they only have a minimal portion of what's available on the US side.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fisk0  Moderator

@ntm said:

Super unfortunate about the web service thing. I love Star Trek. I've always been a fan of Star Trek, but it wasn't until 2009 or so where I'd keep watching the re-runs of TNG on BBC (and not because of the new movie, that wasn't even on my mind), but then 2013, I watched every episode of all Trek's, and I was very content. I have fond memories of basically marathoning them (well, five episodes at most a day perhaps). I watched TNG first since I've already seen the majority of them through re-runs, and when I was younger, then I went back to the original; Deep Space Nine; Voyager, and then finally Enterprise. I liked them all. I never really liked any of the movies, but love First Contact, and found that despite the new ones not being what I want out of Star Trek, for what they are they were enjoyable. I actually can't believe it was three years ago that I ended watching them all, I was pretty bummed that it was over.

Loading Video...

Yeah, I marathoned through all the shows in the summer of 2005, just as Enterprise wrapped up. I really want to get the blu-ray editions and rewatch them again.

Also, goddamn, that second TNG opening, I'm always amazed just how blindingly bright they've managed to make that sun. I've never seen anything quite that bright on TV before or since. My absolute favorite opening is probably Voyager, even though that ended up becoming one of the lesser shows.

crunksmcgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I am excited for this but more excited for his American Gods series. They recently announced who is playing shadow and the actor seems like a solid choice.

@fisk0 said:

I just hope their web service will be available here in Sweden. It's a massive bummer that it seems WWE Network is the only internationally available service. HBO and Netflix have launched services here, but they only have a minimal portion of what's available on the US side.

If Sweden's version of Netflix is anything like Canada's it will take a few years to get up to speed. We are missing a few things American Netflix has but they also do not have things we have on Netflix. Just hold out hope for it to get better.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess the means Hannibal is pretty much 100% dead. Also I can't wait to watch this, think it's amazing, and then it gets canceled after maybe two seasons like every other Bryan Fuller show.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I guess the means Hannibal is pretty much 100% dead. Also I can't wait to watch this, think it's amazing, and then it gets canceled after maybe two seasons like every other Bryan Fuller show.

Haha yep.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Space Opera is back in a big way and I fucking love it.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is good news...

...the fears/worries/consternation/anger/etc. about it being on the web are remarkably like those that surrounded ST:TNG being first run syndication...

Granted syndication didn't have a monthy fee - but, let's be honest here, this is where unbundling and cable cutting is taking us and they need a big show (or what they hope will be a big show in relation to the standard audience of the service it's running on) to make this work - TNG did it for syndication after all...

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I think I'd go so far as to say I'd jump through any hoops required to watch a new Star Trek series. They've definitely waited long enough that it will scratch an itch.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fisk0  Moderator

Quoting from StarTrek.com:

The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

So it looks like internationally the show will distributed through traditional TV channels and possibly local streaming services?

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Space Opera is back in a big way and I fucking love it.

We are going in deep.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Man I hope this works out. I feel like there hasn't been a good scifi series since Stargate ended.

badseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ntm said:

Loading Video...

For all the shit the Enterprise opening (rightfully) gets, that Mirror universe opening is fantastic. Also watch that clip has probably doomed me to a rewatch of DS9, it's still the best longform storytelling and most satisfying character arcs Star Trek has ever had.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowswordmaster: Yeah man, Star Wars, Star Trek, The Expense, Altered Carbon, No Mans Sky and Mass Effect coming back, it's a new golden age lol

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: dude you should be watching The Expanse

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@badseed: I like the Enterprise theme; I am not a huge lyrics person, but I think the lyrics go well with what's shown on screen, though yes, it is definitely different from the other ones.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: is it streaming anywhere? I'm dying for decent sci-fi that I haven't seen. I'm rewatching ds9 and voyager and just finished rewatching tng and wow tng looks great and the other two are noticeably not HD.

badseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

@badseed: I like the Enterprise theme; I am not a huge lyrics person, but I think the lyrics go well with what's shown on screen, though yes, it is definitely different from the other ones.

It's fine for a generic sci fi show but it's so far from what Star Trek is/was that it pulls me out of the show rather than get me into it.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Devil240Z

@jonny_anonymous: Sweet I'm gonna watch the first ep right now. I read the general premise for the show and it sounds pretty cool. I love the idea of a colonized Sol System. Its one of the main things I love about cowboy bebop. A more realistic scifi setting where we are isolated in our own solar system. No aliens or any of that.

EDIT: aw crap you need a cable provider to access the streaming episodes. I'm a cord cutter so...Dang.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@badseed: Actually it's in line with what Star Trek is, but if you mean by just from how it sounds, I agree. Originally, before I had watched the show through, didn't like it as much either, but going through it all I learned to actually like it quite a bit.

badseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Yeah it's the sound rather than the lyrics that I have a problem with. The thing they get 100% right though is the visuals.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@ntm said:

@badseed: Actually it's in line with what Star Trek is, but if you mean by just from how it sounds, I agree. Originally, before I had watched the show through, didn't like it as much either, but going through it all I learned to actually like it quite a bit.

@badseed said:

@ntm: Yeah it's the sound rather than the lyrics that I have a problem with. The thing they get 100% right though is the visuals.

Oh yeah, I remember back when it premiered I thought the theme was so bad that I actually muted the audio during the titles. Having rewatched it a dozen times over the 15 years since (the Swedish FOX channel has played it on repeat, two episodes a day non-stop for like three years now, and it's kinda scary that I still occasionally tune in to watch), it's still my least favorite Star Trek theme, but it's more silly than grating these days.

Nixamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be more excited if he didn't have two cancelled shows as his best work.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If thIs is some Star Trek Star Trek with a decent story I am in. If it's generic sci-fi action I am out, if it is TOS era I'm out.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fisk0  Moderator

Apparently they've gotten Nicholas Meyer on-board as a writer. He co-wrote and directed the best of the TOS era movies (Undiscovered Country and The Wrath of Khan), so that sounds kinda promising, though the Star Trek movies and the shows were pretty different things.