By KROM, all these different file formats make brain HURT!

RudeJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RudeJohn

Do we really need all these different file formats? AVI, WMA, MP3, MP4, etc., etc., etc. UHG, brain hurt! 

In the continuing adventure to create and upload my first ever audio podcast, a snag or ten has been hit and overcome. But not without considerable time and effort! In an age where everything is supposed to be user friendly, why is everything so goddamned difficult? I've spent hours checking websites, file types, software, and a whole lot of bullshit looking for the best solution to my problem.

While I was less than thrilled to learn that YouTube will ONLY accept video files, and that sites like filefreak that offer "free" hosting for mp3's are extremely annoying, I FINALLY discovered that Google is beating everyone's ass by offering a shitload of cloud storage for any type of file format you can imagine. Go Google and go cloud computing! For once, I have something nice to say about this cloud bullshit. Go figure. But I sure as hell don't mind being wrong if it all works out in my favor.

And despite the torrent of disinterest, I will post a podcast and enjoy doing it. But DAMN this has been a hassle. If I knew it was going to be this much trouble, I would have said "I am a wizard, and podcasting is fucked up!"

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By crusader8463

video= .avi

audio= .mp3

That's the base line for pretty much all products that can play video/audio, so just do that.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iam3green

yes, it is kind of annoying having a bunch of different file types. in a project that i had to do, i needed a file. i finally get the file to find out that the file didn't work on the mac. it was a headache because that was the only file that i needed.

RudeJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RudeJohn
@crusader8463 said:
video= .avi
audio= .mp3

That's the base line for pretty much all products that can play video/audio, so just do that.
Agreed, except that it appears GB uses mp4? Not that it matters because I'm not interested in video, since I have the perfect face for radio.  :-)
RudeJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RudeJohn
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By nintendoeats

the endless war between freedom and efficiency.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crusader8463
@RudeJohn said:
@crusader8463 said:
video= .avi
audio= .mp3

Agreed, except that it appears GB uses mp4? Not that it matters because I'm not interested in video, since I have the perfect face for radio.  :-)
That's why there are so many different file type variants. Some swear by one, and others another. While I'm sure some of those are obviously better then other ones when you look at the specs, it all comes down to what the most people adopt as a standard. 
fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By fox01313

Just go into the graphic design/3d animation fields, then you have 300 billion more mixed up file formats to try to keep track of, just causes madness of all kinds.

keris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By keris
@crusader8463 said:

video= .avi audio= .mp3

Except .avi only describes the container format and doesn't actually get you anywhere with video. You still need to figure out which video encoder to use. XviD, DivX, H.264, various MPEG formats are all pretty popular encoding formats. Each needs its respective decoder to actually view it within an .avi file.
ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By ShaggE

It's .rar to see a complaint about file formats, but I agree that some of them need to be thrown in the .bin. Just take a big .wad of them and .iso-late them from the others.

On that note, I'll just .zip out of here like a .bat out of hell, but not before I .wav goodbye.

(I hate myself for posting this)
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By crusader8463
@ShaggE: *slow clap*