Calling all sports fans!

• 66 results
pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Hell yes! Been a bay area pro sports fan all my life. Stanford and Cal sports too. My SF Giants are the biggest deal to me; been watching them since I was little. And they are the epitome of a scrappy team...Jeff :/

Anyway, all motor sports pretty much too, especially NASCAR, but more F1 this year because of the Drew and Danny cast. Loved the World Cup this summer, and most Olympics are a must watch when they come around. Sporting competition is super compelling to scrutinize imo.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By mbradley1992

@crimsinf: ...Hotty Toddy. ;)

I just had to. In all seriousness, though, I hope y'all win out, especially after what happened to us last night. I hope you guys ruin Auburn and MSU's playoff chances.

@stryker1121: How do you feel about being put last of the one loss teams last week in football? I saw that and thought, "why is OSU getting so little love right now? They're always fairly solid each year". Just curious how a fan of them feels.

@pweidman: I watched most of the World Series. You guys dominated. I don't think that the final record was as close as it looked. The Giants just hit and pitch better than anybody in the postseason, and that's what wins games. Stanford...sorry for your loss(es). I'm pretty shocked, as you guys are usually on top right about now.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@mbradley1992: Bad loss at home against Va Tech hasn't helped the cause. OSU is also playing in a terrible conference, so they're not going to get the benefit of the doubt until they get a big win under their belt - that chance is next week against MSU in East Lansing.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@mbradley1992: Big 14 ten is dogpoop, that's why. tOSU's schedule of schedule is junk as a result. That perception won't change until the Big Ten starts beating the SEC consistently in Bowl games.

Even if they beat Sparty convincingly, they are likely to be outside looking in come playoff time.

That and ESPN now has the SEC Network, whereas the Big Ten Network is partnered with Fox. ESPN loves them some SEC and downplays the Big Ten (along with any school and conference that isn't partnered with them) any chance they get. It's just how they run their business.

They do the same thing to NHL and other sports groups that aren't their "products" so to speak.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: I think it's worse with the ACC, but you're right. It's not so much "bias" like people call, but rather just a difference in how they cover them in their day-to-day stories. And I think a lot of boils down to two facts. 1) The BIG 10 turned them down in 2004 because the BIG 10 wanted a large share of ownership in coverage, so now ESPN's upper management is mad because the BIG 10 network is more successful than the other ESPN-run conference/school specific channels they operate. The ACC is similar for that reason, as well, though the ACC network is...well...not profitable. And 2) There's more money spent in the SEC and by SEC fans than any other in the country. As a whole, we pay our coaches, staff, (arguably players), and pay more money to go see games and buy gear than any other conference.

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Zefpunk

I have always been a huge video games fan, and just as long as I have loved video games, I have loved sports.

I am a huge basketball fan, definitely my favorite sport, college or NBA. Second is the NFL, although I am trying to get into college ball more. Also love baseball, F1, hockey, soccer, strongman competitions, sumo wrestling, etc. If there is a sports on the tv I be watchin' it is what I am saying.

From and currently in Cincinnati so it's Bengals, Reds, and UC all day for me.

Let's get a good sportsball forum thread going duders.

EternalHaV0C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Baseball all the way.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i mainly like basketball and football,but i also just love sports in general so i will watch any of the other sports as well.used to love wwe,but i got out of that 3 or 4 years ago.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@straightgrizzly: Who is your go-to NBA team? Think UC will be good this year? I know they had some tough luck against Harvard in the tourney, but in the regular season they dominated.

@eternalhav0c: Who do you watch?

@nasp: Got any teams?

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I watch college football (War Eagle) and keep an eye on the NFL even though I don't really have a particular team. I don't pay much attention to other sports.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mbradley1992: football wise im a new england pats guy.basketball i dont have a specific team its wherever lebron goes,so basically im a lebron fan.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By mosespippy

My local university girls soccer team won the division title today and are off to the (Canadian) national semifinal. The team has no fifth year players and only one fourth year, so they could very well repeat next year and the year after! That's pretty good considering our school has won one national title in any sport ever.

Our sixth ranked guys team upset the 3rd ranked team in the quarterfinals but got blown out in the semis 5-0.

EternalHaV0C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mbradley1992: Literally anyone, but I'm from Chicago and have been a Cubs fan my whole life. I enjoyed the hell out of this World Series because I was able to just root for good baseball.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@slag: I think it's worse with the ACC, but you're right. It's not so much "bias" like people call, but rather just a difference in how they cover them in their day-to-day stories. And I think a lot of boils down to two facts. 1) The BIG 10 turned them down in 2004 because the BIG 10 wanted a large share of ownership in coverage, so now ESPN's upper management is mad because the BIG 10 network is more successful than the other ESPN-run conference/school specific channels they operate. The ACC is similar for that reason, as well, though the ACC network is...well...not profitable. And 2) There's more money spent in the SEC and by SEC fans than any other in the country. As a whole, we pay our coaches, staff, (arguably players), and pay more money to go see games and buy gear than any other conference.

It might be, if Florida State didn't revive itself last year who know what the national narrative on that conference would be. Probably a running dialogue on which program would be "next" to get raided by another conference.

I definitely agree with point 1, point 2 I don't know if I believe that. I'd need to see numbers to agree with it.

I think the SEC is certainly more uniform top to bottom in terms of fan support. But as far as I know there are only 2 "profitable" athletic programs in the country, Ohio State and Texas. There's a lot of money being tossed around top programs in the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac 12, the difference is the bottom halves of those conferences might as well be MAC, Big East or WAC teams.

Assuming of course we're talking about Football.

JMurph_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in the bay area and I'm a big fan of the Giants so pretty pumped right now from the World Series, also a Niners fan and Warriors fan.

JMurph_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pweidman: Yeah I know right? Down the stretch we weren't really a home run hitting team and we didn't even have a single home run in the NLCS until game 5. The Giants have ALWAYS been scrappy.