Can you tell what songs a crowd likes at a gig?

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Jams

I just had a gig last night a local bar. We played about 15 songs and some got cheers and some didn't. I'm wondering if I can properly gauge if people like our songs by the applause or cheers at the end of the songs. So some got that 1 guy sympathy clap and others got a large amount of clapping an whistling etc..

Any other band members out there have any tips for putting together a set list for other shows? I think we should scrap the ones that didn't a low amount of applause. The thing I'm worried about though is that it can get a low amount of applause at one show, but more at another. What do you guys think?

Avatar image for overlord_ofthedeadxd
overlord_ofthedeadXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

What kind of songs did you guys play?

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think it'll get a lot easier to gauge when you've built up at least a small fan base. If you see familiar faces at your gigs, they probably like what they hear, and you just need to figure out which ones they love. Also, as if it needs saying, just go apeshit up on stage. Do all sorts of crazy shit, the more insane you guys look up there, the more memorable you'll be as a band. This is especially true if you're ever opening for another band, since you've got a lot of people to win over.

RudeJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By RudeJohn

Buy a round for the house, you cheap-ass bitches!

Or promise them sex with your mom after the show.

Either way, mom wins.   :-P 

gnark1ll420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By gnark1ll420

If they yell "Freebird" you might be doing good.

Allison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Allison

Do what songs you guys like. That's typically more important. :)

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder  Online

Don't just listen, watch. If people are just milling around, staring off into the distance, talking to other people, generally not paying attention - then they probably don't care much.

Also, about cheering, it's not necessarily indicative of how much people like your stuff. Sometimes it can relate to the number of people there, how much people have been drinking, the restlessness of people there (sometimes people might just cheer/make noise even if they don't particularly care about what you're doing) etc...

Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Mahonay

The number of nodding heads and people shimmying is equivelant or approximate to the enjoyment of a song at a show.