Catching up on Missed TV

BlackSymbiote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By BlackSymbiote

After all the hype and hearing about it all the time, I decided to struggle through the first season, and watch all of the newer Doctor Who shows. Once I'm done with that, which shouldn't be too far off, what should I watch next? In other words, what is your most recommended TV show?

To help move the topic along, I've also already watched The Shield and Breaking Bad. They were both pretty great.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

LOST and Trailer Park Boys

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sooty

If you liked The Shield you should watch The Wire, Dexter is good, has a few not so amazing seasons but they are all fun to watch.

and if you haven't seen Arrested Development then that is a must.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mandude

Agreed. Watch Arrested Development. From start to finish all in the one sitting.

And the Office, which shouldn't take you too long, since there's only 14 episodes.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By DeF

@Roflwaffles said:

Dexter

Stop after Season 4! While Season 5 is just merely boring, Season 6 is a total disaster!

Watch:

Firefly (!)

Battlestar Galactica (2003, not the old one of course)

The Walking Dead

Homeland (just finished its first season)

Terriers (from The Shield creator - don't be put off by the name!)

The Chicago Code (see above)

Pushing Daisies (watch it for the style alone!)

Supernatural

The Wire (assuming you haven't seen that since that's about as old as The Shield)

Dollhouse (first 5 eps are really slow but picks up to be something fantastic eventually!)

Community (best comedy since Arrested Development [watch that too if you haven't!])

Rubicon

Fringe

I could also recommend a ton of one-off seasons if canceled-too-soon shows depending on how deep you wanna get with this :)

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Chop
@DeF said:

@Roflwaffles said:

Dexter

I love you so much right now <3 

Seriously. Watch Pushing Daisies.
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Sooty

@DeF: 6 was better than 5, I thought the deaths were interesting and the end of 6 will make for an intriguing 7.

Too many numbers in one post.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlackSymbiote: Currently watching Homeland and really enjoying it - it's satiating my Rubicon desire now that that show's been cancelled. Rubicon was great, but I can see why it took some flak week-to-week. Regardless, Truxton Spangler is one of the greatest characters committed to celluloid.

Justified is also pretty great. If you haven't seen BSG or The Wire get stuck into both of those.

...Game of Thrones.

Oz.

There is a decade's worth of fantastic TV to watch, you just have to separate the dross from the gems.

See: @DeF's post.

Guy knows his TV. Going to second Terriers. It developed into something really great. Shame it, too, got nuked.

Avatar image for redcricketchase
RedCricketChase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RedCricketChase

Mad Men is pretty phenomenal, if you're down for a straight-up moody period drama. You might also check out the BBC original series The Office, That Mitchell & Webb Look, and of course the new Battlestar Galactica series (you gotsta start with the 2003 miniseries that kicked it off, don't jump into the series proper without seeing that! :]) Happy hunting!

P.S. can't wait til the last season of Dr. Who either shows up on Netflix streaming or drops in price to something I feel OK paying :D

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShaggE

Community. Now.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vexxan

It's all downhill when you've seen Breaking Bad.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By penguindust

Being Human (the UK version). There's three seasons out now on DVD/BD and currently available through Netflix streaming. 23 Episodes total currently. Season 4 begins airing this spring, I believe.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WMWA
@BlackSymbiote Mad Men for sure. Weeds is worth watching IMO. It's hit and miss, but the first 4 seasons are great.
Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pezen

I've just started getting through Mad Men, that show if fantastic. I never knew how much you could have a hate/love relationship with show characters.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By swoxx
sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By sickVisionz

Going from The Shield to the Wire will be rough due to every season of he Shield being good and every actor in it being good where in the Wire 50% of the cast is bad and the first 3 seasons range from bad to ok (4th season is great though and explains the praise the show gets).

Luther is another BBC show that really good. Skins is as BBC one as well that'd pretty great. The Sopranos (not sure if you've seen it already), Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood are all awesome to me. Fringe, Walking Dead, American Horror Story, and Hell on Wheels are a little cheesy at times but I enjoyed them. Weeds is up and down but good overall. Battlestar Galactica starts off super great for the first two or three seasons but falls off pretty hard after that.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WMWA
@Pezen

I've just started getting through Mad Men, that show if fantastic. I never knew how much you could have a hate/love relationship with show characters.

This. It's a slow burn though. Took me most of the 1st season to get hooked but now I love it.
crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By crazyleaves

The League. Pretty funny even if you aren't into American football.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By mosespippy
  • Black Mirror; it's only 3 episodes so you can watch that pretty quickly. It's basically Charlie Brooker writing The Twilight Zone.
  • Skins; The UK version is way better than the US version. You can start at the beginning of any odd numbered season if you don't want to watch them all.
  • The Wire; Omar commin.
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sickVisionz said:

Going from The Shield to the Wire will be rough due to every season of he Shield being good and every actor in it being good where in the Wire 50% of the cast is bad and the first 3 seasons range from bad to ok (4th season is great though and explains the praise the show gets).

An opinion is exactly that: subjective by definition. But...

...WHAT THE FUCK, MAN?

I, along with the rest of Earth's population that have seen The Wire, am shaking my head and tutting at you right now. We are the 99% is far more appropriate here, you.... you iconoclast!

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DeF

@Chop said:

@DeF said:

@Roflwaffles said:

Dexter

I love you so much right now <3 Seriously. Watch Pushing Daisies.

:D

did you watch Wonderfalls as well? That was an overlooked Bryan Fuller created gem (Tim Minear worked on that one!) as well with a similar mystical/goofy/dark humor vibe.

@Sooty said:

@DeF: 6 was better than 5, I thought the deaths were interesting and the end of 6 will make for an intriguing 7.

Too many numbers in one post.

hm, really? I agree that the murder setups themselves were interesting but the kind of stunts the writers pulled in s6 overall were just awful. they made Dexter look like an idiot and wasted perfectly good guest actors. don't get me started on the ridiculous plot holes. what they did at the end is a) disgusting and b) the interesting half of that should have happened at the end of s5. I have never hated this show before and liked it a lot until s6 happened. there is so much wrong on a pure creativity and craftsmanship level as far as writing goes, it's just sad.

@GetEveryone: said it right, there's been terrific TV happening during the last decade, it would be overwhelming to list all the fantastic choices from critically beloved stuff that might be a little niche, to those big hits that managed to pull off quality writing while keeping the masses interested as well. what I tend to find most interesting are those overlooked (mostly) one-seasoners that got axed too soon (The Inside, Wonderfalls, Daybreak, Caprica) or stuff that hardly gets talked about but had something interesting going for it (The 4400, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Life, Veronica Mars)

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By Tireyo

I've been catching up on watching Two and a Half Men. Better show than I anticipated.

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DopeToast

Lost. I started watching that from the second episode back in 2004 and didn't stop. I've never stuck with a show that long. And Arrested Development. I never knew anything about it before Christmas, but I got a Kindle Fire as a gift and watched all three seasons in three days. It was fantastic.

BlackSymbiote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BlackSymbiote

So many great suggestions! I've seen a few of the shows listed, but a lot of them I haven't, and I've heard good things about most, if not all, of the shows listed. I've already seen Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Dexter (but I stopped after the John Lithgow season), Lost, Arrested Development was my college show with all my friends, Fringe, House (but only part way into season 2), Firefly, BSG, Supernatural, Being Human (UK version) and about 3 seasons of Mad Men.

You've listed a ton of other shows though, so I have my work cut out for me! Basically anything else listed that I didn't just mention, I haven't seen. I've been wanting to check out Justified and Community.

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By retrovirus

Venture Bros., Battlestar Galactica, Breaking Bad, and the Wire. College is not conducive to TV marathons.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BraveToaster

@mosespippy said:

• Skins; The UK version is way better than the US version. You can start at the beginning of any odd numbered season if you don't want to watch them all.

I'm not going to lie, I found the UK version online and I enjoy it. I thought it was odd that I actually enjoy a show for teens.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By _Zombie_

First season of Alphas is on DVD, I believe. Second season shouldn't be too far off. Watch it if you get the chance, it's definitely worth it.