CFLs

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fajita_Jim

Our beloved incandescent bulb is on its way out. They're already getting hard to find around here, and I had to settle for some store-brand because the incandescent name-brands left were all 60w and above. 

I've tried CFLs. I was told they would last years. I bought three last year and they've all burnt out since. I also don't like the light they cast, it's too sterile. 

Have you adopted CFLs yet? Which do you find most tolerable?  I was thinking about going the LED route once incandescents are gone because I hate CFLs that much!

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By damnboyadvance

Not yet, but they are brighter and more efficient. Not sure why I haven't.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Aus_azn

I've adopted them since the 75W BR40 bulbs are basically no longer produced, and the 65W ones are weaksauce. So, I got these BR40 CFLs that are replacements for 120W bulbs, never looked back. They're good with the light now, very incandescent-y; the startup time leaves a lot to be desired, though.

MegaGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MegaGoat

Go straight to LED
CFLs are bullshit and have mercury up the ass

Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Burzmali

I have CFLs all throughout the house. Some of them are 4 years old. I have had 2 burn out in under 3 years, but they were in our bathroom where the lights get turned on and off frequently. Apparently that will make them die sooner. I have no problem with the light they emit. The mercury is only problematic if you break the bulb, and even then it isn't a significant health risk unless you're a fetus. I wouldn't describe 5 mg of Hg as "up the ass," but whatever. 

LEDs are definitely better, but they're quite a bit more expensive (like $30 a bulb). Yeah, the bulb will last you 20 years, and the power consumption is just a fraction of even a CFL's, but that's a lot of money to shell out. They should come down in price in the next decade.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Aus_azn
@Burzmali said:
"  The mercury is only problematic if you break the bulb, and even then it isn't a significant health risk unless you're a fetus. I wouldn't describe 5 mg of Hg as "up the ass," but whatever. "
Not really any different than the standard fluorescent bulbs powering most commercial areas, and your table lamp... It's not a health risk unless you decide to roll around on top of them.
mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mrfizzy

i dont have a problem, i dnt know what the problem is with the light they put out, you can get ones that give off a more yellow, less sterile light. Also, arnt LEDs even more bright/sterile? 

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Whatever lights you get make sure they don't heat up your house's insulation too much.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Enigma777

I had CFL's everywhere around the house but they started fucking with my eyes and making them itchy and irritated so I went back to the softer incandescents. I want to try the LED ones, but they're so damn expensive!