Cognitive dissonance with music !

s80007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys,

I was listening to Maroon 5 when drunk, when I heard the song 'Animals'. My drunk brain loves the shit out of that song, but the LYRICS ! They are so rubbish ! I hate the lyrics but when drunk i seem to love the song ! Have any of you ever had such an experience ?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't hear lyrics unless I focus on listening to them. So I kind of just naturally listen to music like a drunk person would. As long as a song sounds good, it's a good song to me. It doesn't have to mean anything at all.

Finding out the lyrics to Frank Zappa songs after listening to them for years was a funny revelation.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I believe this phenomena is why pop music is so easily fabricated and why "club music" is so bad.

That being said, there are too many people that don't care about lyrics in songs. I guess that's fine, but then the music should make up for it (yet strangely it doesn't). I can't find any other explanation to why some of this modern stuff is so liked beyond the fact that people are drunk 75% of the time.

s80007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By s80007

@cornbredx: Yes most club music, while not sober i like most of them. Other wise not at all, well apart from a few :)

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Unfortunately I'm as uptight, snobby & almost militant about music when intoxicated as I am when drunk. Hearing music I don't like and can't escape from has ruined a good night before. It's annoying.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If half the western fans of Jpop and Kpop knew what the words actually were, Jpop and Kpop would lose half their western fans. Mind-bogglingly inane!

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

That's not cognitive dissonance.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sinusoidal

Who? I believe it is. I think a lot of Jpop and Kpop fans have convinced themselves that the music they're listening to is some deep experience full of the wisdom of the east when in actuality it's the same old "Won't you be my boyfriend?!?" crapola.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By spraynardtatum

Your problem is listening to Maroon 5. Don't ever listen to Maroon 5.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@alistercat said:

Who? I believe it is. I think a lot of Jpop and Kpop fans have convinced themselves that the music they're listening to is some deep experience full of the wisdom of the east when in actuality it's the same old "Won't you be my boyfriend?!?" crapola.

Huh-Huh-Huh-Huh-Hurricane! VENUS!

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By veektarius

I think that most progressive metal is only good when you don't listen to the lyrics. It's not that they're awful so much as just nonsense.

Cognitive dissonance, by the way, is the condition of holding two conflicting points of view. For example, I hate Maroon 5, but I like this song. This typically leads to the psychological effect of one of those two opinions being changed, i.e. you will either decide you don't actually like the song or that you do actually like Maroon 5. The first scenario is more likely because your opinion of Maroon 5 is likely to be more long-standing/cemented.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

There's a Kimbra/Foster/ATrack song out there called Warrior. The melodies are good, the hooks are great, but the lyrics are about how scientists are bullies and how children know the truth and the entire thing is a paean to ignorance.

geniobastardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL bingo!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its the one 5 you don't listen to. Oh, and 5ive.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If half the western fans of Jpop and Kpop knew what the words actually were, Jpop and Kpop would lose half their western fans. Mind-bogglingly inane!

I don't listen to pop, but this is a big part of why I listen to foreign music. I secretly know they're saying dumb stuff, but at least I can't tell.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think lyrics are as important as the music itself, but I can let bad ones slide if it sounds good enough.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I listen to a lot of foreign music so I rarely have this problem. The lyrics are most definitely bullshit, but I can never tell. I tend to think as long as you enjoy the tune of the song it's okay if the lyrics are bad. I don't listen to music for insightful wisdom in the first place.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#19  Edited By Lelcar

The instruments can definitely speak for themselves; you don't need lyrics. I like a lot of songs where the lyrics are bullshit. Hey, I like songs with good lyrics too, but it's not my priority.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#20 MattyFTM  Moderator

@shindig said:

Its the one 5 you don't listen to. Oh, and 5ive.

So you listen to Five Star?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure. They were our answer to the Jackson Five. If 3 of them were women.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe it was Sammy Hagar who said the lyrics don't matter so long as it sounds good with the music.

I'm rather inclined to agree.