Computer Trouble - Currently in Safe Mode.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By CL60

Whenever I try to boot my computer on the screen with Windows loading I get green lines going d own the screen, then they turn into red dots everywhere on the screen then my computer crashes/freezes/blue screens. I have no idea whats going on.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@CL60:  Try uninstalling your drivers, restarting, then try reinstalling them. If that doesn't work then let me know.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CL60
@PrimeSynergy said:
" @CL60:  Try uninstalling your drivers, restarting, then try reinstalling them. If that doesn't work then let me know. "
Yeah, I did that. I uninstalled the drivers, then when I restarted all the red dots were there and the computer was running incredibly slow, but I finally managed to get through it and install the drivers, and now it seems to be working. It still doing it when I uninstalled the drivers still makes me worried though.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CL60

I'm also worried to continue playing Call of Cthulhu It crashed on me multiple times giving me those red dots I was getting. Then one of the crashes was just my entire computer, and I couldn't reboot.

shadyspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By shadyspace

Run your antivirus program in safe mode and see if it picks anything up.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By JCTango

Check your system temperatures - make sure not too dusty in there - also make sure there's good airflow

Your graphics card also might be suspect

-just some ideas!  I know how frustrating pc troubleshooting can be t_t

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CL60
@PrimeSynergy said:

" @CL60:  Try uninstalling your drivers, restarting, then try reinstalling them. If that doesn't work then let me know. "

Nevermind. I didn't fix it. It just happened again. I managed to get an error though. Which said something like this I believe. 

Display driver stopped responding

The nv4_disp display driver has stopped working normally. Save your work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality. The next time you reboot the machine a dialog will be displayed giving you a chance to upload data about this failure to Microsoft.
JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JCTango
@CL60 said:
" @PrimeSynergy said:

Nevermind. I didn't fix it. It just happened again. I managed to get an error though. Which said something like this I believe. 

The nv4_disp display driver has stopped working normally. Save your work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality. The next time you reboot the machine a dialog will be displayed giving you a chance to upload data about this failure to Microsoft.
"
That could be a sign that your graphics card is dying.. especially if it still shows those problems when you uninstalled the drivers = (.
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@CL60 said:

" @PrimeSynergy said:

"
Alright! I'm gonna go and say your GPU is good and pissed off about something. Check and make sure the fan on there is spooling up as your computer starts up. It could be overheating and crashing right away as it starts, or your GPU could just be finally shitting out on you which would give you a wonderfully great excuse to drop money on a new card. Oh and maybe check your PSU, maybe your card is just not getting enough power anymore or something. These are just two possibilities out of who knows what. Hope you get it figured out, when a component on my PC dies out, I feel like a part of me is gone.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CL60
@JCTango said:
" @CL60 said:
" @PrimeSynergy said:

"
That could be a sign that your graphics card is dying.. especially if it still shows those problems when you uninstalled the drivers = (. "
Well, I guess I'll stay up for another 30 minutes (It's 3:30 AM right now, I wanna sleep) and see if it goes haywire again, and check in the morning and see if it's broken again.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CL60
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" @CL60 said:

" @PrimeSynergy said:

"
Alright! I'm gonna go and say your GPU is good and pissed off about something. Check and make sure the fan on there is spooling up as your computer starts up. It could be overheating and crashing right away as it starts, or your GPU could just be finally shitting out on you which would give you a wonderfully great excuse to drop money on a new card. "
What would you recommend if I had to upgrade? My current video card is a 8800 GTS, whats something better than that, and cheap.
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@CL60 said:
" @PrimeSynergy said:
Nevermind. I didn't fix it. It just happened again.  "
Now it might be time to worry.

Try a clean boot to see if something is running that is causing the issue. And like @shadyspace: said, scan for viruses or like @JCTango:  said, it might be the temps inside. I'd suggest getting some compressed air and blowing off the card. If that doesn't help or your computer is spotless then your video card might be on the way out.
JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JCTango

Are you able to check the temperature of your system's hardware (including the graphics card)?

With today's super fast machines, heat management is crucial!  Things overheat real fast with today's speeds.  Once your system overheats, it just crashes to prevent any further hardware damage.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CL60
@JCTango: @PrimeSynergy:  

Apparently the Temp of my computer is 26 degrees C. Also I just cleaned the inside of the computer a few weeks ago.
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@CL60: If it came down to upgrading you might want to look at a GTX 460 1gb model. The prices of these things have dropped to around 150-160 or so plus you'll be rocking DX11 and have a good card that will run everything just fine without having to drop tons of cash.  

Might want to look at your PSU too and see how that's been holding up. If it's an older one, that could be causing problems too.
JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JCTango
@CL60 said:
" @JCTango: @PrimeSynergy:   Apparently the Temp of my computer is 26 degrees C. Also I just cleaned the inside of the computer a few weeks ago. "
That's a pretty good temp actually!

How about the video card?  Is it getting proper ventilation etc?  Everything all plugged in ok?  

Do you have any spare/old video cards you can swap in for now to see if that's the culprit?
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CL60
@wolf_blitzer85 said:

" @CL60: If it came down to upgrading you might want to look at a GTX 460 1gb model. The prices of these things have dropped to around 150-160 or so plus you'll be rocking DX11 and have a good card that will run everything just fine without having to drop tons of cash.   Might want to look at your PSU too and see how that's been holding up. If it's an older one, that could be causing problems too. "

My PSU is new, my old one broke recently(I made a thread about that too lol) and it was under warranty, so they sent me a new one. DX11 wouldn't be anything for me right now, but I guess it would be nice to have a card that has it(I'm still on XP). 

@JCTango said:
" @CL60 said:
" @JCTango: @PrimeSynergy:   Apparently the Temp of my computer is 26 degrees C. Also I just cleaned the inside of the computer a few weeks ago. "
That's a pretty good temp actually!  How about the video card?  Is it getting proper ventilation etc?  Everything all plugged in ok?    Do you have any spare/old video cards you can swap in for now to see if that's the culprit? "
Yup. Everything is plugged in fine, and it's got proper ventilation.  Sadly I do not have any other video cards.
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" @CL60: If it came down to upgrading you might want to look at a GTX 460 1gb model. The prices of these things have dropped to around 150-160 or so plus you'll be rocking DX11 and have a good card that will run everything just fine without having to drop tons of cash.   Might want to look at your PSU too and see how that's been holding up. If it's an older one, that could be causing problems too. "
Damn you. One step ahead of me haha. But yeah, go for that card. It is a beast for that price.
JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JCTango
@CL60 said:

"What would you recommend if I had to upgrade? My current video card is a 8800 GTS, whats something better than that, and cheap. "

I haven't checked the prices on cards lately, nor have I followed up recently since I built a new system, but the card I currently have (nvdia 285 GTX) runs most of the new games these days pretty well with all settings at max.

It should be semi- top of the line these days I think, heh.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60

Oh god. I may be going out again, red dots just flashed.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CL60
@PrimeSynergy said:

" @wolf_blitzer85 said:

Damn you. One step ahead of me haha. But yeah, go for that card. It is a beast for that price. "
This? I'm out of the loop when it comes to cards these days. 
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6976278&CatId=3669
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@JCTango said:
Do you have any spare/old video cards you can swap in for now to see if that's the culprit? "
It's all about trial and error when it comes to PC troubleshooting so this would be a good course of action. You could also try your on board graphics as well (if your mobo has it) in case you don't have older cards laying around, just to see if your computer boots up correctly without any extra stuff getting in the way. If you still have problems, then you can at least rule out that it's not just your graphics card (or your card at all) and another component is causing trouble.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CL60
@wolf_blitzer85 said:

" @JCTango said:

Do you have any spare/old video cards you can swap in for now to see if that's the culprit? "
It's all about trial and error when it comes to PC troubleshooting so this would be a good course of action. You could also try your on board graphics as well (if your mobo has it) in case you don't have older cards laying around, just to see if your computer boots up correctly without any extra stuff getting in the way. If you still have problems, then you can at least rule out that it's not just your graphics card (or your card at all) and another component is causing trouble. "
It seemed fine when I booted it up with on board graphics. But it seems fine right now too. But it could explode at any second.
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@CL60 said:
" @PrimeSynergy said:

" @wolf_blitzer85 said:

Damn you. One step ahead of me haha. But yeah, go for that card. It is a beast for that price. "
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6976278&CatId=3669 "
Yep yep
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@CL60 said:
" @PrimeSynergy said:

" @wolf_blitzer85 said:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6976278&CatId=3669 "
I'd say this wouldn't be a bad one to go with. Sure you can't use DX11 but if anything you'll have a solid card that you can run with for a while and probably not have to worry about upgrading anytime soon.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Xeiphyer
@CL60: Turn off the computer, wait like 20min for it to be cooled off inside, then open it up and blow all the dust you can out of it. Also make sure that your fan is actually spinning when your computer is on for a while (probably wont start spinning for a bit until it needs to). If that doesn't help, probably your graphics card starting to go.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CL60
@PrimeSynergy:  @JCTango:@wolf_blitzer85:  

Well thanks for all the help. I'm going to bed. I'll try a game tomorrow and if it happens again, fuck it, I'm buying that video card you suggested, and hoping for the best. I need a new one anyways. 

@Xeiphyer said:

" @CL60: Turn off the computer, wait like 20min for it to be cooled off inside, then open it up and blow all the dust you can out of it. Also make sure that your fan is actually spinning when your computer is on for a while (probably wont start spinning for a bit until it needs to). If that doesn't help, probably your graphics card starting to go. "

Yeah, I checked inside when it happened, there was little to no dust. It's probably starting to go. It's pretty old. 
JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JCTango

Good luck, man!  All the best = )

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By Undeadpool
@CL60 said:
" @PrimeSynergy said:

"
Try to get the error again and then Google it. I don't want to come off as harsh (like GTFO N00B!) or anything, but seriously, Google is AMAZING for tech support. I have a friend who's A+ certified (built the computer I'm currently using, in fact) and the first thing he does with an error message is to Google the exact wording of it.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By subject2change

Your card is dying. End of story. You can temporarily fix this buy baking the card in the oven. You need to remove the fan/heatsink from the card and bake the card for about 10min on 350*

http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/529271-bake-your-graphics-card-oven-fix.html

Ideally just buy a new graphics card.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By YoThatLimp
@Undeadpool said:
" @CL60 said:
" @PrimeSynergy said:

"
Try to get the error again and then Google it. I don't want to come off as harsh (like GTFO N00B!) or anything, but seriously, Google is AMAZING for tech support. I have a friend who's A+ certified (built the computer I'm currently using, in fact) and the first thing he does with an error message is to Google the exact wording of it. "
I worked for one of th largestt futures exchanges in the world for 4+ years doing tech support....google is my #1 tool.
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

your video card is dying dood. if you are on a tight budget, pick up the nvidia 460....hell of a card for the price.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By Tireyo

Computers are so fun to use! ...... when they work that is.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Tireyo643 said:
" Computers are so fun to use! ...... when they work that is. "
Consoles are awesome too....when they don't overheat so often.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#36  Edited By BeachThunder
@dudeglove said:
" Call of C thulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, right? That game is notorious for crashing. I heard there was, like, one guy responsible for the PC port. "
Apparently there's a huge game breaking glitch towards the end that makes it un-finishable for some D:

Anyway, CL60, the card you linked to is the 460 SE, not the 460. If possible, I would recommend that you get the 460 (not SE) as it's slightly more powerful. Have a look here.
KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By KarlPilkington

Have you tried deleting System 32?

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#38  Edited By Clinkz
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Tireyo643 said:
" Computers are so fun to use! ...... when they work that is. "
Consoles are awesome too....when they don't overheat so often. "
Gameboys are great...when you don't drop them.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CL60
@BeachThunder said:
" @dudeglove said:
" Call of C thulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, right? That game is notorious for crashing. I heard there was, like, one guy responsible for the PC port. "
Apparently there's a huge game breaking glitch towards the end that makes it un-finishable for some D:

Anyway, CL60, the card you linked to is the 460 SE, not the 460. If possible, I would recommend that you get the 460 (not SE) as it's slightly more powerful. Have a look here. "
Bah, doesn't matter to me. I just want something better than my current video card. I can't find the 460 (not SE) on tigerdirect.ca.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CL60
@wolf_blitzer85:
I'm just gonna go and get one of these on Monday. I don't feel like ordering a card from anywhere. Takes too long to get here, and shipping is usually ridiculous for me.
 http://mysterybyte.com/part/16610/
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@CL60 said:
" @wolf_blitzer85:
I'm just gonna go and get one of these on Monday. I don't feel like ordering a card from anywhere. Takes too long to get here, and shipping is usually ridiculous for me.
 http://mysterybyte.com/part/16610/ "
Yeah I hate waiting for stuff too. Even though you could probably get it cheaper online, buying it at a little higher price probably more than makes up for the shipping and time spent not using your computer. It may not be the best of the best, and you may not get to experience all the DX11 fanciness, but you'll at least be sitting on a decent card that is a little future proof for when you do decide to upgrade your OS. Plus your computer won't be dead anymore. So that's a plus.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CL60
@wolf_blitzer85 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @wolf_blitzer85:
 http://mysterybyte.com/part/16610/ "
Yeah I hate waiting for stuff too. Even though you could probably get it cheaper online, buying it at a little higher price probably more than makes up for the shipping and time spent not using your computer. It may not be the best of the best, and you may not get to experience all the DX11 fanciness, but you'll at least be sitting on a decent card that is a little future proof for when you do decide to upgrade your OS. Plus your computer won't be dead anymore. So that's a plus. "
Hell, when I go over there depending on the price, I may buy Windows 7 too lol. Does it matter if it's Home or Professional?
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@CL60:  Depends

I've been using the Home versions of the Windows OSes forever and they always seem to be just fine. Personally, I'd only get a better version if you REALLY need the features they're offering.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CL60
@PrimeSynergy said:
" @CL60:  Depends  I've been using the Home versions of the Windows OSes forever and they always seem to be just fine. Personally, I'd only get a better version if you REALLY need the features they're offering. "
Yeah, the place I'm going to get the card on Monday has Windows 7 Home Premium for $114 may as well pick that up while I'm down there too.
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@CL60 said:
" @PrimeSynergy said:
" @CL60:  Depends  I've been using the Home versions of the Windows OSes forever and they always seem to be just fine. Personally, I'd only get a better version if you REALLY need the features they're offering. "
Yeah, the place I'm going to get the card on Monday has Windows 7 Home Premium for $114 may as well pick that up while I'm down there too. "
Hell yeah, your computer is going to be like a new woman by the time you're done with it. 
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CL60
@wolf_blitzer85 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @PrimeSynergy said:
Yeah, the place I'm going to get the card on Monday has Windows 7 Home Premium for $114 may as well pick that up while I'm down there too. "
Hell yeah, your computer is going to be like a new woman by the time you're done with it.  "
Hehe, I guess I'll actually get around to playing Just Cause 2 since I'll have windows 7.
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@CL60 said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @PrimeSynergy said:
Hell yeah, your computer is going to be like a new woman by the time you're done with it.  "
Hehe, I guess I'll actually get around to playing Just Cause 2 since I'll have windows 7. "
That's good since it's a great game and you'll probably be able to max it out if you have a decent cpu. The cool thing is, if you get bored with the main story as I did, you can just mod the hell out of it and fly around as Iron Man or turn your rocket launcher into some crazy uncontrollable doomsday device. 

However there will always be a place in my heart for this: 

God Bless PC (Look at that crazy broken water too!)
 God Bless PC (Look at that crazy broken water too!)
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Goodness...you guys are making me want to play JC2 again AND get a new PC. I've been pushing a 9800GTX and that little bugger has been holding up pretty well. It sure as hell runs JC2 well. Sadly, it's days are getting more and more numbered. I was planning on building a new PC in the summer. Hopefully AMD's new Bulldozer chips start to roll out by then.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CL60
@wolf_blitzer85: My CPU isn't that great, but I'm sure it'll get the job done. Also, that picture is awesome.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CL60

Popped it in and can't get a picture.