Def Jam: Icon Impressions

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By MistaSparkle

So Def Jam: Icon. What can I say, I mean I have been eying this game for so many years now at my local Blockbuster. I never picked it up, though because I was sort of embarrassed, but this was a game that always stood out. Whenever I walked by it I always took it and flipped it over to admire the wonderful screenshot of Lil Jon spartan kicking Xzibit. After viewing this image its IMPOSSIBLE not to want to play it. Just IMPOSSIBLE. Anyways I was browsing the demos selection on XBL and accidentally found the demo for Def Jam: Icon, and let me just say that this game is only $3.99 at Gamestop. Everybody should get it because it is an experience like no other. Especially if those guys liked that Jacky Chan fighting game, I think they could really get into this. Every rapper has their own fighting style and can do some really crazy-ass stunts like a goddamn ninja. In order to be successful in defeating your opponent you will have to sink your fist into the other dude's face in sync with the licencsed music in the background. And with every satisfying hit corresponding to beat the environment reacts whether its a gas station exploding or an angry asian fellow spraying you with fire extinguisher. And I only played the demo, so I can't even imagine what craziness is in the full retail version. If you like crazy, stupid fighting games, hip hop, and the last fight scene of Crank 2... 

BUY IT!!!!!!! 
( $3.99 ) 
NOW!!!!!!!!!!      
MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MistaSparkle

So Def Jam: Icon. What can I say, I mean I have been eying this game for so many years now at my local Blockbuster. I never picked it up, though because I was sort of embarrassed, but this was a game that always stood out. Whenever I walked by it I always took it and flipped it over to admire the wonderful screenshot of Lil Jon spartan kicking Xzibit. After viewing this image its IMPOSSIBLE not to want to play it. Just IMPOSSIBLE. Anyways I was browsing the demos selection on XBL and accidentally found the demo for Def Jam: Icon, and let me just say that this game is only $3.99 at Gamestop. Everybody should get it because it is an experience like no other. Especially if those guys liked that Jacky Chan fighting game, I think they could really get into this. Every rapper has their own fighting style and can do some really crazy-ass stunts like a goddamn ninja. In order to be successful in defeating your opponent you will have to sink your fist into the other dude's face in sync with the licencsed music in the background. And with every satisfying hit corresponding to beat the environment reacts whether its a gas station exploding or an angry asian fellow spraying you with fire extinguisher. And I only played the demo, so I can't even imagine what craziness is in the full retail version. If you like crazy, stupid fighting games, hip hop, and the last fight scene of Crank 2... 

BUY IT!!!!!!! 
( $3.99 ) 
NOW!!!!!!!!!!      
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hot_Karl

I owned this game when I first bought my PS3...man.

I don't really want to get into a review or anything, but I kinda dug the game for what it was, but when compared to the previous games, it was a huge, HUGE step down. 

Much like the previous games, the strengths were the great graphics and the stellar soundtrack (which was finally, honest-to-god, COMPLETELY uncensored in Icon). The fighting though was fun but weak, just because I loved the wrestling elements in the first two games- they were basically ghetto-ized versions of the N64 AKI Wrestling games (WWF Wrestlemania 2000, etc). 

I think for $4, it's worth a look; it's better than the dumb premise would have you believe.

On the flip side, I've kept the first two games in the series and played those from time to time, while Icon I got rid of a few months after I beat the game.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By beargirl1

it looked great in the trailers, but i didn't touch it when it came out. it just looks so awful compared to Fight for NY 

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By NickM

That game asked me to beat-up Ghostface Killah in order to sign some douchebag. I pretty much stopped playing after that.