Do people still care about world records?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

So its late night and I've been looking at the guinesses of world record websites and all I got to say is, what is the damn point of all this? To say you're better then everyone else out there? Its seriously pretty dumb and from what I've seen most of the records out there are pretty ridiculous. Do people really care about the largest breakfast omelette in the world or the tallest toilet paper tower in 30 seconds? Its kind of sad that back in the day when I was younger I remember finding a bunch of 80's guniesses of world record books at my uncles house and being amazed at the people in it, but now a days as I sift through all these records I just have to shake my head and feel like its overkill. They'll literally put people in the record books over the silliest records.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Maajin

I don't think it it to say you're better than everyone else necessarily, but to accomplish an amazing/ridiculous feat and be recognized for it. I do think most of them are pretty dumb as well, but remember that there'll always be new kids to look at those and be amazed by them.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Alright changed my tune, that's pretty cool but still pretty dumb.

Things that Matter!
Things that Matter!

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By supamon

Remember when achievements was really popular and still is to some people but not anymore to the rest? Same thing.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There are more things to keep us humans entertained now then there ever was in human history, so naturally hearing about some "amazing" feat is no longer that amazing.

With that said, I do keep a records book on my coffee table, it seems to be fairly entertaining to people who haven't looked at one in while.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

of course, why would they stop mattering?

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Juzie

I never cared about the guinness book of records but there are lots of world records that are actually pretty cool and I would be proud of myself if I was in their shoes (Mostly talking sports records).

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think all records you be interesting. Worlds fattest man...sure. Worlds smallest person...sure. But all these video game records, records for biggest pancake, or records for hours of hopscotch played need to go.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TruthTellah

@i_stay_puft: I don't know how relevant Guinness world records are anymore outside of tourism and promotions, but I think the concept of world records is still very sound. I mean, I just watched Awesome Games Done Quick last week, a marathon of speedruns from some of the best in the world, and watching them get near world records(and make ones, in three cases over the marathon) is quite compelling and awesome. I was super hyped to see someone get the world record on Pilotwings 64 of all things. ha. World records are still rather cool.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think they're cool, especially sports-related or other skill-based records. I think video game records, like speed runs, are really compelling to see or read about. I don't want to spend that much time mastering a game and/or learning to exploit it, but it's really cool that some people are that dedicated.

stonepawfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@i_stay_puft: I don't know how relevant Guinness world records are anymore outside of tourism and promotions, but I think the concept of world records is still very sound. I mean, I just watched Awesome Games Done Quick last week, a marathon of speedruns from some of the best in the world, and watching them get near world records(and make ones, in three cases over the marathon) is quite compelling and awesome. I was super hyped to see someone get the world record on Pilotwings 64 of all things. ha. World records are still rather cool.

seconded! i care about speedrun world records because, well, watching people play games i like really skilfully is fun. and oftentimes have crazy glitches that are entertaining to see

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TruthTellah

@truthtellah said:

seconded! i care about speedrun world records because, well, watching people play games i like really skilfully is fun. and oftentimes have crazy glitches that are entertaining to see

Yeah, watching speed runners is kind of like the excitement of watching an Olympic-level athlete compete at the highest level. It's just cool, and when speed runners are playing something I have some connection to, it's even better. World records in games, to me, are still quite compelling.

Back in the 90s, I almost got a world record on the Gameboy version of Tetris, but a handful of people still had me beat. I really respected that level of competition, and I think it can be rather interesting to see masters of just about anything perform at the top of their ability.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By damodar

The thing that is stupid is when people try to set a record that is such a specific and obscure task that there's basically zero competition. Don't actually have any skills but want a world record? Set the record for most number of times singing Row, Row, Row Your Boat in 10 minutes while holding an egg in each hand.

Records that are actually meaningful or an indication of some actual prowess are interesting to me, whether it be sporting records or biggest jenga tower or whatever it may be, as are records that are straight forward enough in concept to actually be interesting, like tallest man etc. Basically a record that you don't look at and think "That's stupid, I could do that."

People tend to enjoy watching others excel at things. Records are a part of that. Plenty of people also have interest in the extremes of what is possible or what we have recorded. Things that fall in to those categories are worthwhile.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Brendan

Pushing the envelope is still an interesting endeavor, even if the records themselves are sometimes suspect.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@truthtellah said:

Speed runs are cool I guess but I think I'm more excited of the glitches found then the actual accomplishment of breaking the world record of so and so game.