artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By artofwar420

No Caption Provided
I'd like to hear some opinions about the service since I'm thinking of switching to it soon.

How has the cap affected you? How are the download speeds compared to what you pay for? Consistency? Do you recommend the ISP?

Edit: The main reason I'm switching is that I have DSL right now and while it's not dial-up, it only reaches 3mbps.The ONLY options where I live would be keeping this or getting Comcast.
ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By ReyGitano

No, and I hope I'm never forced into having them.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By melcene

I came close to the cap once.  Haven't been anywhere near it otherwise.  I have 4 gamers in the house, four separate PC's, a couple of laptops, 3x 360s, 2x PS3s.    Hasn't been that big a deal.  Also, my understand is they don't immediately do something if you hit the cap.  It's just the repeat offenders, so to speak, may get their service tweaked or even shut off.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By artofwar420
@melcene: So say, TWO heavy users of the internet would probably not hit the cap. Is that a safe assumption?
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By KaosAngel

Taking What I Pay For
 Taking What I Pay For
Yo, I'm part of the insurgency here in Philly.  Fighting the corporation, don't care what Comcast says.  Paying for my goods, keeping 'em solid yo. 

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By YoThatLimp

I have a business line setup in my home office which tends to be pretty great when it works, i tend to have DNS server problems when residential users are having problems as well. I don't have a cap so I won't speak of that.  

Speeds are great, I am normally getting 50-90mbs down and 5-10mbs up, when i have a normal line the consistency and the hardware always had problems for me. 

If you have a choice, I wouldn't switch unless you pay for a business line IMO

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By artofwar420
@KaosAngel: That's right on the limit it seems, how many peeps use your connection?
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KaosAngel
@artofwar420: Just myself and my brother, parents only use it for Netflix.  My brother watches live Korean TV, I use it to fight the corporation.  Once FiOS hits my area, I'm saying goodbye.  Until then, I'll keep the fight strong.  No complaints about the speed though.  >.>
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By artofwar420
@KaosAngel: That's what I'm waiting for too. Right now FiOS is not in my area yet. I might join you in the fight, 'cause 3mbps is just not cutting it anymore.

No Caption Provided
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KaosAngel
@artofwar420: Do you have an ETA for FiOS?  It's risky man, being in a 2 year deal with Comcast and then having FiOS getting there in less that time.  My friends have FiOS and when I go there, it's like I'm not living in a third world country.   

Again, Comcast's speeds are more than great...the problem is the 250GB cap.  :| 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By artofwar420
@KaosAngel: ETA is about two years, so it kinda works out. Do you know what happens if you move out? Like a canceling fee?
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By EpicSteve

Time Warner, motherfuckers. 

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KaosAngel
@artofwar420: No idea, I'm out of contract for Comcast....once FiOS hits I'm going to beg them to keep me.  I want to hear the sales person spit so much bullshit to keep me.  The modem is ours, the lines are ours, etc.  My dad runs a business so he installed all that stuff so the only thing we pay for is the monthly for internet.  No contract.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Up until about six years ago I did, but my dad was too much of a cheapskate to keep it. We now have a service known as BELD that's local to my town. It's OK I guess. It never really shits the bed which is a plus, but to be honest I think I'd rather have Comcast...

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By iam3green

no, i don't have comcast for internet. i have them for cable though. i have DSL it is not that fast at all. it takes a couple of hours to download things.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I do at home, but not at college. It's kinda pricey, but also pretty fast overall. At least fast enough for what I do. 

MegaGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MegaGoat

I had Comcast, but then I went to the doctor

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By s7evn

Yup...and it's alright, not great.

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By NickLott

I think the internet speed I'm getting is great (my speed test was approx. 20mbps down/9mbps up). I really hate the bandwidth cap. It's hard to move forward with to the cloud based future with a cap. I don't know if I was well below the cap or well above it before they instituted it but now that it's there, I make sure come the end of the month that I'm right there near the limit. 

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By captain_clayman

i had comcast years ago, moved to surewest for a while, saved money and it was basically the same shit, but then i moved and cant get surewest anymore.  :/  i wish there was a way to JUST get internet and then no cable, just get netflix.  but unfortunately my mom watches tons of reality shows that she DVR's so yeah. 

my internet's pretty fucking fast tho, especially now that i moved my router into my room and that shit is all wired up and nice.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Enigma777

I used to. They suck a bag of dicks, but they are still better than my current provider... Never thought in a million years that I would miss Comcrap... *sigh*

monstersnsoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By monstersnsoup

I'm on a fast comcast home line, 50mbs. The speed is great, the cap sucks. We have 2 gamers and one person who seeds a linux distro. When you hit the cap I'm not sure if anything happens immediately but if you hit it more than once they throttle you something fierce. Our down speeds were somewhere around 50kbs at the end of last month after we hit the cap

Loopah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24  Edited By Loopah

Depending on where you have their service depends on how good it is.  When I lived in Chicago, the connection and download speeds were great.  However, I lived in Indiana before that and the connection was terrible and dropped all of the time.  Let me get one thing straight though; no matter where you are in the country, Comcast's customer service is absolutely the worst I have EVER dealt with.  I could write a novella about all of the terrible experiences I have had with Comcast customer service. 

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Aus_azn

Cable is better. Fiber optics whips cable. Your choice. Fiber optics is not available in my area yet, but my friend has it and his speeds wreck mine.

I average about 10Mbps down, 2Mbps up.

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BigLemon

I have Comcast, but I wish there were more options where I live. A buddy of mine uses a service called Charter Digital and it's absolutely the best. Super fast download speeds.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By Hamst3r
@artofwar420 said:

How has the cap affected you? How are the download speeds compared to what you pay for? Consistency? Do you recommend the ISP?"

I recently moved to Colorado and my options were Qwest and Comcast, I went with Comcast as they offered the faster speeds. Their install went terribly; the dude didn't have his own tools, he wouldn't put the modem where I requested and took forever, arguing on the phone to get the line activated.

That said though, now that it's set up, it's fine: 

No Caption Provided

That's the $99.95 plan. The price is fine as I was paying $69.95 for a 20 Mb connection in California. The speed is consistent. NetMeter says I downloaded 162 GB last month; watching tons of videos, Netflix streaming, downloading Steam games, etc.; so the 250 GB cap is fine.

Overall I'm happy with my connection; I just dread having to ever call them for support. :P
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BraveToaster

I'm not happy with my Comcast service. I've had my connection cut off in between online matches, and streaming Netflix. I fixed my connection earlier today and it doesn't broke when I get home from work. I had an appointment for Verizon installation, but I had to cancel because of work.

bulletzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bulletzing

Nope. I have Time Warner Cable.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By artofwar420

I gather the concesus is: Speed is awesome, mostly consistent, cap shouldn't be a problem with one person and customer service is horribad.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Yes, and one time I got a letter mailed to me warning me to stop downloading things I was like "what?!" and then I was like "oh crap I guess I should stop that" so I guess the man has won this round.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By louiedog

When I moved to San Fransisco a few years ago I opted for Comcast. I got in on a good promotional rate. The person who set me up with a package on the phone was very nice. The installer came out either the next day or the day after, I don't remember. The install went quickly in my already wired building and I had no problems. Every time my promotional rate was about to run out, I called to complain about the price and they let me keep it for another 6 months to a year. Every person I spoke to on the phone was extremely nice and helpful. Eventually I moved apartments. I canceled the service and signed back up to lock in the promotional rate again (yeah, I like saving $30/mo, so what :)). Once again the installer came out quickly and I had service. 

During that time my cable was out for maybe 30 minutes total. I was paying for 12 Mbps service and getting 24. I had my cable modem die once and it was easy to go down to their office and replace it. I really don't have any complaints about the service for the years I had it.

Now, when I moved out of the area to where I currently live Comcast seemed incompetent. The people I talked to just tried to upsell me on service, couldn't give me good info, and told me it would take 2-3 weeks to get an install appointment. I've heard some bad things about their reliability from neighbors. There really do seem to be regional differences in the service they provide.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By artofwar420
@louiedog: Thanks for the perspective. How much were you paying btw?
smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By smitty86
@artofwar420 said:
"

I gather the concesus is: Speed is awesome, mostly consistent, cap shouldn't be a problem with one person and customer service is horribad.

"
Pretty much, if everything is going good, your fine. But the sec. you have to talk to anyone from Comcast you will be driven to the point of insanity due to the ignorance you have to deal with. Also their pricing for things seem to be higher than everyone else (at least here in Chicago).
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DrPockets000

Comcast is fast enough, and I like the speed, but what anything goes wrong I prepare myself for a universe of hatred and unpleasant words exchanged over the phone.  It's great when it works, it's the worst thing in the world when it decides to stop working.  

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By louiedog
@artofwar420 said:
" @louiedog: Thanks for the perspective. How much were you paying btw? "
It was a couple of years ago, so rates may have changed, but I was paying $60 for TV and Internet. I didn't have HD at the time either, so that's probably another $5-$10. They had quite a few specials at different times. I got a free DVR for a year and ended up keeping it, so my bill went up to $70. I also had free HBO for 6 months at two different times.

@smitty86 said:
" @artofwar420 said:
"

"
Pretty much, if everything is going good, your fine. But the sec. you have to talk to anyone from Comcast you will be driven to the point of insanity due to the ignorance you have to deal with. Also their pricing for things seem to be higher than everyone else (at least here in Chicago). "

I actually live in the Chicago area now. Their sales and support is San Francisco was incredible compared to the sales people I talked to here in Chicago.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By JJOR64
@SlashseveN303 said:
" No, and I hope I'm never forced into having them. "
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points