Do You Like Monopoly (The Board Game)

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll Do You Like Monopoly (The Board Game) (110 votes)

Yes, it's pretty fun 50%
Board Game More Like Bored Game!!!! 36%
I neither like nor dislike 14%

I've always somewhat liked it but i've always somewhat hated it since i always end up cheating and then feel bad about it. Even when the Electronic Edition came out i always put more money in.

i own 3 different boards BTW (Simpsons Editions, Electronic Edition, and Original) so i guess i'm a fan.

• 
bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Um, WTF how did this end up in the Sonic the Hedgehog forum???? I totally picked monopoly

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Oh dude, yes. I love that game.

Sonic the Hedgehog is a classic.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hero_swe

If you like monopoly then you should take a look at Tabletop Simulator, just released on steam. It's hilariously fun and awesome to play boardgames with friends on it.

and there is ofcourse already a monopoly board save/mod for it.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By rachelepithet

With real people on a real board it takes too long and there's too much shit to keep track of to keep score. By yourself in a video game edition versus CPU, it's fun until you get to the part where you can't lose but the CUP can't give up, so you have to wait 100 turns for your opponent to bleed out all their money.

Also, Monopoly is supposed to be a game of chance but in order to make the CPU challenging they program the opponents to always roll past your biggest properties.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's been a good 10 years since I've played Monopoly, but I remember liking it.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It's an okay game. It can still be fun, but there are much more engaging (though sometimes more complex) board games today that really improve over Monopoly's somewhat aged ruleset. Personally, I'd much prefer to play Fortune Street or Panic on Wall Street over Monopoly any day.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

No. I don't like Monopoly.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I like Monopoly, but I've only played that whatever popular alternate rule set, where you get money for free parking and such. I didn't know that that isn't official until fairly recently.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Moved it...not sure how that happened

BambamCZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By BambamCZ

Never liked Monopoly, the almost complete reliance on chance\dice turned me off.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Monopoly is a brutal simulation of the crushing power of economic leverage.

Then you get asshole friends who try to spice it up by making Free Parking the Free All-The-Money-In-The-World space, which extends the game an additional 20 hours until everyone quits out of boredom.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Don't know, never finished a actual game I think.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Monopoly.

Or, more like I liked Monopoly when I was younger. I enjoyed the few hours of family time until it naturally devolved into two of us having a mini Cold War at the kitchen table.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Marcsman

It is a masterpiece.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I like Monopoly for like an hour. After that is usually when I begin to regret starting a game. Shortly after that is usually when I quit.

Unfortunately, this has happened every time I've played Monopoly.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't care for it or hate it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm not really a fan, I do t think I've played in the past 5 years... But I remember loving the SNES version as a kid so sure, I guess I "like" monopoly.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

My cousins won't play Monopoly any more because I always badger people into trades that, while marginally better for them, tend to be significantly more advantageous for me.

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the game, but the actual physical version is such a goddamn hassle to get going and then maintain organization for the 60 hours a single playthrough takes.

Monopoly Party for the Gamecube though. That's the pinnacle of all Monopoly ever. It's got themes and shit, and an AI player named Granny who is the biggest goddamn bitch in the world.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#20  Edited By Sin4profit

It's an okay game. It can still be fun, but there are much more engaging (though sometimes more complex) board games today that really improve over Monopoly's somewhat aged ruleset. Personally, I'd much prefer to play Fortune Street or Panic on Wall Street over Monopoly any day.

Yeah, the Fortune Street TNT soured me on Monopoly. Also thanks for the Panic on Wall Street suggestion, i'll have to look into that.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShaggE

Nope. Could never stand it.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, not really.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By mosespippy

Yeah I love monopoly. Growing up my 4 person family and a blind couple that were friends of ours would play it after dinner parties on holidays or whatnot. It's a good game for drinking wine/coffee & eating snacks during and to chit chat for three hours. Once all properties are bought then there is some great negotiations going on. It's also good for the blind couple since they have the board memorized, know all the values of everything and can keep track of it all in their head. All you have to do is hand them the dice.

The best thing we ever did was establish free rent as bargaining chips. I'll trade you the piece you need to complete your set for all the money you currently have plus three free stays on your property. You can get so much more for your property that way. It forces them to sell off or mortgage other properties for cash to build, and it quickly establishes complete sets.

We once put two boards* in a figure 8 and you'd change boards when you pass Go. You had to buy properties from each board with their respective currencies, but could trade different currencies amongst ourselves. It was always rough getting money since we didn't pay you for passing Go until you passed both boards, at which point we'd pay you $200 in both curecncies.

*75th Anniversary edition and Coronation Street edition.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

If I wanted to play a slow game about acquiring properties that lasts too long and has the potential to let players snowball their way to victory, I'd play Fortune Street.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Well, I had the Star Wars Monopoly set when I was in high school and I think I played that game all of twice.

The most interesting time I had playing Monopoly was when we played on Mom's old French language edition. Mom was the only one that knew what any of the Chance or Community Chest cards said.

Yeah, it's a long, dull game.

If I wanted to play a slow game about acquiring properties that lasts too long and has the potential to let players snowball their way to victory, I'd play Fortune Street.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last time I played Monopoly I had one of every property, including a couple monopolies... and jesus christ why the fuck didn't I let the other people enjoy the game at least a little?

What a stupid game. Turned me into a monster.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By monkeyking1969

The REAL rules of Monopoly are actually VERY different from how people play. The #1 rule nobody follows is this: "...Whenever you land on an un-owned property you may buy that property from the Bank at its printed price, ... You receive the Title Deed card showing ownership; place it face-up in front of you. Those are the rules folks, all properties that the 'landing player' does not buy are auctioned on the spot.

My recommendation is to hand out post-it notes, and do sealed bids for these auctions.

If you follow the games rules it is still a game of chance very often, but chance is spread between all players with many types of chances all occurring at once. You will find the best players never really have the chance to plan when so much occurs at once. That rule also makes it EVERYONE'S turn all the time because at any given moment you might be buying or bidding during anyone's turn. The game is not slow when you play this way, the game is done in less than an hour.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It's fun when you throw in your own rules to make things interesting. Put all the taxes in the middle to be rewarded for landing on the middle, and maybe some $500 bills for good measure. Creative trades make it fun too.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

Yes, but you must play QUICKLY! The key is NOT to count out each step. THE MOMENT the dice come to a halt, move your piece to its destination and do your business with the banker/landlord, while the next player scoops up the dice and does their business. The board 10 spaces on each side, 5 spaces from a corner to a railway and the dice only output 2-12, so it doesn't take long to instantly know the destination based on starting space and dice roll. Plaything this way, you can get through an entire game in a reasonable amount of time, and it has the frantic pace of a trading floor.

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

I think one of the reasons everyone thinks of Monopoly as a long, slow game is that no one plays it by anything but house rules. No one knows about auctions, Free Parking becomes a jackpot square (the more money you inject into a game, the longer people can go without making difficult decisions) and everyone miserly holds onto their properties rather than trade them and allow someone else to get a Monopoly. Played properly, a game takes about an hour and a half, maybe two hours.

The few times I can convince people to play it, we have an enjoyable time, but there are so many other games that are, in my opinion, so much less of a hassle to get through.

buttle826

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tom_omb said:

It's fun when you throw in your own rules to make things interesting. Put all the taxes in the middle to be rewarded for landing on the middle, and maybe some $500 bills for good measure. Creative trades make it fun too.

DO NOT DO THAT! A standard game of Monopoly, if played by the rules, should only take 90 minutes tops. House rules, like the one stated above, are what give this game a reputation of being 4 hours long.

The REAL rules of Monopoly are actually VERY different from how people play. The #1 rule nobody follows is this: "...Whenever you land on an un-owned property you may buy that property from the Bank at its printed price, ... You receive the Title Deed card showing ownership; place it face-up in front of you. Those are the rules folks, My recommendation is to hand out post-it notes, and do sealed bids for these auctions.

all properties that the 'landing player' does not buy are auctioned on the spot.

If you follow the games rules it is still a game of chance very often, but chance is spread between all players with many types of chances all occurring at once. You will find the best players never really have the chance to plan when so much occurs at once. That rule also makes it EVERYONE'S turn all the time because at any given moment you might be buying or bidding during anyone's turn. The game is not slow when you play this way, the game is done in less than an hour.

This dude knows what he's talking about. Monopoly isn't as terrible as everyone thinks it is, they're just completely ignoring the rules. It doesn't suck, it's just kind of mediocre.

Enuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Enuff

The Stock Trading Version is really fun, but I don't enjoy vanilla monopoly as much as I did when I was a kid...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Monopoly is an excellent game for bullshitting; see for example the Fortune Street TNT.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to when I was younger but not so much anymore.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

Nope. I love board games, but Monopoly has a mediocre design and I don't find it fun or interesting at all. I guess I've just seen the promised land of other, better games and I can't go back now.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Moonshadow101

I thought I did. I played it as a little kid, then stopped.

In college, I once sat down to play it with four other people. The game lasted 8 hours. In the end, we continued to play it only out of sheer spite. We instituted a random house rule that passing GO no longer gives money, just to reduce the amount of money in play. At 6 in the morning, somebody finally won, and we threw the board directly into the garbage where it belongs.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Mouse Trap is way better...just sayin'

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By Tennmuerti

No. It's boring badly designed bullshit. It might have been fun at one point when I was a kid with all the strategic grasp and savvy of a blind lemur on speed, who couldn't even finish the C&C campaign. But once you figure it out every game is the same amongst adults, the only variation is who gets the RNG luck on their side initially and starts to snowball, it's fun for maybe 10 minutes while people start trading, houses are built, then boom it's over and everyone just concedes to save time, no one leaves satisfied, because even winning has near 0 skill necessary. It's only hope at being fun is playing it at parties when you're drunk, guess what almost anything can be made fun at that point.

That's using the rules about auctioning posted above by the way, yes games only need to last 1 hour tooooops when people know what they are doing. It's still bad as it's the same shit every time.

Oh and don't get me started on unbalanced properties, holy fuck. How has that shit not been changed in the vanilla game is beyond me, i remember playing a knock off version "Business" that fixed that bs.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Yeah it's alright as hangin out game when shootin the breeze and whatnot.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you sort of like Monopoly but what something different try to find an OLD Milton Bradly game called Billionaire. Its a stock/commodities bidding game. Everything is sealed bids for buying, and there are three mechanics happening that add randomization. Its not a hard game to play, but so not easy to explain without pictures and props.

Also, for you folks that HATE chance but want a strategy game without tons of crap, try to find a set of 4000 AD.
This is a pure strategy of movement & resources game with no dice, so no chance elements. Two to four players may play independently or in alliance with others. Players use fleets of space ships to claim stars following combat with opposing fleets. Fleets move using a hidden hyperspace movement system based on the distance between stars. Captured stars generate more ships. Victory is determined by the last player to be eliminated. You have to look on eBay or message boards for this game because I don't think it has been sold in decades.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

With real people on a real board it takes too long and there's too much shit to keep track of to keep score. By yourself in a video game edition versus CPU, it's fun until you get to the part where you can't lose but the CUP can't give up, so you have to wait 100 turns for your opponent to bleed out all their money.

Also, Monopoly is supposed to be a game of chance but in order to make the CPU challenging they program the opponents to always roll past your biggest properties.

I couldn't disagree more. The whole fun of monopoly is the human drama of it. Creating alliances, double-crosses, persuading your friends to take accept your dubious trade, stealthily stealing 500s from the bank, laughing at them maniacally as you crush them with the power of capitalism.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

You're not a true Monopoly fan unless you own the Luxury Edition!

For the record, I'm not a true Monopoly fan--that thing's ridiculous.