Does your family sanctify table meals? BREAKING BAD spoilers

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JouselDelka

The following post and probably people's replies are Sspoilers for Breaking Bad:

So I'm going through Breaking Bad again, gonna finish the entire series before Sunday's episode, and something caught my attention and annoyed me.

The following is Season 2 episode 10 spoilers for Breaking Bad:

So Walter is cleaning out the wood "rot" underneath his house, and while he chops and breaks shit, making noise, Skylar the dick and Walter Junior are very annoyed at the lunch table by the noise and have that, you know, that expression on their faces. Then Walter walks by to throw the shit outside the house, and when he comes back in the working clothes and stops by the table to make a quick sandwich.

And they gave him the shocked look as if he was a barbaric and insolent cave man that needs to be put away.

I just had to fucking yell "he's fixing your HOUSE you bitch!" I mean what the fuck, why are they so damn touchy? If that was my house me and my mom would eat and watch dad work, tell him he's doing a good job perhaps, and I'd probably get up and help him. My mom would be happy that he's fixing the goddamn house. And the lunch meal doesn't MATTER because we'll have another one the next day, right now rot needs to be cleaned for our well being.

What a...
What a...
...cunt...
...cunt...
....family!
....family!

So does your family sanctify meals so much that they give you the looks of shame or lecture you if you didn't totally respect one every once in a while?

Bunch of fucking weirdos.

Thank you.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By leebmx

Yeah.. because Walter the mass-murdering, psycopathic, drug dealer is normal one....

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Walter is acting really werid to his family at this point in the series. What he is doing appears to make no sense and is just distancing him further from the family and costing them money and causing noise.

I'd prefer if you would refain from using the word "bitch". There is not need for it, ever.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'd prefer if you would refain from using the word "bitch". There is not need for it, ever.

Tell that to Jesse Pinkman, bitch.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

We thank Satan for the bounty we are about to receive.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immortalsaiyan said:

LOL.

jimmy_p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx: His family had no clue about that at that point in the series. (Season 2)

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immortalsaiyan said:

People bitch about female dogs being called bitches all the time.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're acting funny towards Walter 'cause he's acting funny.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By audiosnow

I think it had more to do with Walt Sr. trying to get Walt Jr. hammered earlier in the episode, then suddenly becoming "Homeowner of the Year."

It wasn't a matter of breaking the traditional family meal, it was one of acting like a lunatic.

EDIT: Oh, and apparently, "Ha, ha, ha, someone doesn't like coarse language"? I'm unsure why people find @immortalsaiyan's comment so amusing.

johnbakosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShaggE

Walt Jr.'s obsession with breakfast carries over to lunch. And Skylar is just Skylar.

Meanwhile, Hank is probably in the bathroom nearly having a revelation because of all of this. "Rot rhymes with caught... criminals get caught...criminals sounds like minerals... Jesus Christ, Marie... Marie rhymes with LSD... LSD is a drug... winners don't use drugs... William S. Sessions... the 90s... Malcolm in the Middle... OH SHIT, WALT IS HEISEN... wait, no, that's silly. Oh well." *flush*

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Well, this is stupid.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

What if I am writing about dog breeding? Or I'm a rapper trying to rhyme the word "itch"?

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmy_p said:

@leebmx: His family had no clue about that at that point in the series. (Season 2)

But he was already acting very strange, that's the whole point of the scene which seems to have completely passed the OP by. He's supposed to look like some sort of ravenous animal compared to the rest of the family. Its supposed to show how he is losing touch with his normal family values and becoming the feral, instinct driven Walter who just takes what he wants without asking that we come to love/hate. Also his wife knew already knew about the two cellphones by this point and had suspicions about his behaviour.

That comment was also a reaction to the OP calling Skyler a cunt which I thought was kind of thoughtless. I get kind of sick of all the hate she gets when her husband is basically a murdering, family destroying scumbag - although admittedly entertaining to watch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

EDIT: Oh, and apparently, "Ha, ha, ha, someone doesn't like coarse language"? I'm unsure why people find @immortalsaiyan's comment so amusing.

BECAUSE THEY'RE ON THIS WEBSITE.

I would prefer if no one used the phrase 'motherfucker'. There's no need for it, ever.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They do and I find nothing wrong in it.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is amazing

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much this.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If people don't like coarse language then perhaps they shouldn't be on these forums. It's funny to me because he thinks that someone is going to give a fuck that he doesn't want them to use coarse language. Unless he finds the word bitch offensive which in that case I just pity him.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mlarrabee said:

If people don't like coarse language then perhaps they shouldn't be on these forums. It's funny to me because he thinks that someone is going to give a fuck that he doesn't want them to use coarse language. Unless he finds the word bitch offensive which in that case I just pity him.

I don't find it personally offensive, I just disagree with the use of gendered insults.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well Walts attitude could´ve been prevented if they , you know askwd him what he wanted.... damn selfish pricks , see no need to use bitch for those bitches :D

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mlarrabee said:

I don't like coarse language; I think it's evidence of a poor vocabulary. I tolerate it because it's impossible to avoid, and because isolating one's self from everything one dislikes isn't healthy.

What I find sadder is the disrespect for others' sensibilities. I wish it wasn't amusing to hope others actually "gave a fuck" about your beliefs. There's a nice grey area between George Carlin and PLUR.

But this isn't the thread topic, so while I'll read any reply, I probably won't respond. This isn't Caesar washing his hands, but the desire to not see this thread spiral in a different direction than it was already going to.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MiniPato

@laserbolts said:

@mlarrabee said:

I don't find it personally offensive, I just disagree with the use of gendered insults.

Then I don't think you'll like Jesse Pinkman.

That said, I think this is a dumb thread.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minipato said:

@immortalsaiyan said:

@laserbolts said:

@mlarrabee said:

Then I don't think you'll like Jesse Pinkman.

That said, I think this is a dumb thread.

I do like Jesse Pinkman. A lot actually. I think he is a fantastically written and acted character. I can like a character or person and not agree with their word choice or some of their beliefs. I think most of the people use that word intent no harm. That does not detach it from the negative aspects of it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Justin258

@laserbolts said:

@mlarrabee said:

I don't like coarse language; I think it's evidence of a poor vocabulary. I tolerate it because it's impossible to avoid, and because isolating one's self from everything one dislikes isn't healthy.

What I find sadder is the disrespect for others' sensibilities. I wish it wasn't amusing to hope others actually "gave a fuck" about your beliefs. There's a nice grey area between George Carlin and PLUR.

But this isn't the thread topic, so while I'll read any reply, I probably won't respond. This isn't Caesar washing his hands, but the desire to not see this thread spiral in a different direction than it was already going to.

When used well, harsh language can be quite effective in punctuating a point. I don't pretend to be someone who uses it well, but there are those who can use it to make language work better. It's mostly slang, anyway, and this is an informal forum.

On topic, if someone were clearing rotten wood out from under my house then I, too, would ask them to not eat at the table. I'd ask them to wash their hands at the bathroom nearest the door and bring them something while they are standing near the door, or perhaps sitting in a chair I don't care too much about, or literally anywhere that isn't where I eat my meals. Leaning a filthy body over a clean table full of food sounds kinda gross, don't ya think?

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess one thing to remember is that it's kind of ambiguous whether he is actually fixing the house? Like when he is trying to explain earlier to Walt Jr about the Rot, Walt Jr is like "erm, this wood looks totally a-ok you nutjob." I always interpreted that as Walt making an excuse for building a money cave.

But I also don't think the idea is that he's being atavistic at all. It's that he's having pretty fucking immense mood swings. Like, the day before he was being super intense and aggressive, and now all of a sudden he's just super cheerful.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MideonNViscera

haha

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Stupid thread that is worse due to the author calling Skylar a dick. Continuing the trend of people hating Skylar for no reason. The only time it has made sense for people to dislike skylar is during this last Season, where she actually gives us a reason to not like her.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It amuses how so many fans of Breaking Bad look for any excuse to hate Skylar and glorify Walt.

Nhoj_Sllew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They were probably pissed off like most people who have to listen to construction work all morning

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But I also don't think the idea is that he's being atavistic at all. It's that he's having pretty fucking immense mood swings. Like, the day before he was being super intense and aggressive, and now all of a sudden he's just super cheerful.

Yeah that seems to be the general consensus here, and I guess it makes sense. I just feel like they were smothering him and critiquing him too often, he's a fifty year old cancer patient with many regrets and fears, his mood swings made more sense to me than his family seemed to think, and that's what bugged me.

But I still think that him being an intelligent chemist and the man of the house, going through the trouble of buying tools and doing home renovations is a good sign, a good exercise, a good thing. Those looks of bewilderment and disapproval got on my nerves.

@ssully said:

Stupid thread that is worse due to the author calling Skylar a dick. Continuing the trend of people hating Skylar for no reason. The only time it has made sense for people to dislike skylar is during this last Season, where she actually gives us a reason to not like her.

Well then, my bad as an individual for having an opinion on another individual and liking/disliking them. I guess I hopped on the bandwagon.

Skylar is a massive dick and I spent the entirety of seasons 2 and 3 wishing she would die because as a person, she was a full blown melodramatic self-righteous husband-smothering and dickish dick. Deal with it?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It amuses how so many fans of Breaking Bad look for any excuse to hate Skylar and glorify Walt.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, I've never watched an episode of Breaking Bad, mainly because I hardly watch TV anymore, but what does sanctify a meal mean? Is it like, praying before eating or something?

millionthlayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skylar is a massive dick and I spent the entirety of seasons 2 and 3 wishing she would die because as a person, she was a full blown melodramatic self-righteous husband-smothering and dickish dick. Deal with it?

Yeah, man! Because her husband acting completely suspicious all the time, and even full-blown psychotic (I refer you to the near-rape scene), is totally OK behavior! Wifey just needs to shut up and deal with it, amirite? *brofist*

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ekajarmstro

Walt isn't fixing the house, he's going insane.

jimmy_p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its fucking SkylEr you god damn white knights.

id say that at that point in the series she has justified concerns over Walter's behavior, i think that OP is a bit out of touch. In the light of season 5 however I think both Skyler and Marie's paths are taking dark turns right now.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jouseldelka said:

Yeah, man! Because her husband acting completely suspicious all the time, and even full-blown psychotic (I refer you to the near-rape scene), is totally OK behavior! Wifey just needs to shut up and deal with it, amirite? *brofist*

Everyone in Breaking Bad is a terrible human being, isn't that kind of the point?

Immunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Immunity

@alexw00d: I dunno, Jesse seems like a good person manipulated to go down a terrible path. More or less.

Anyways, the OP is totally missing the point. The scene has nothing to do with "sanctifying table meals". I imagine the OP is projecting his hatred for Skyler onto any scene he can. That being said, I don't think Skyler was handled well as a character. Her story is mostly a distraction from the story most people care about (Walter's story). As a result she's received a ton of hate. However, the idea that she should be grateful for what Walt has done and stop being a "bitch" is fucking insane.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both of my parents and their spouses do, yes.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your original post sounds like you completely skipped all of the episodes before this one. I am baffled how anyone could ask such a question given the events that have already taken place in that family.

millionthlayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By millionthlayla

@alexw00d said:

@millionthlayla said:
@jouseldelka said:

Everyone in Breaking Bad is a terrible human being, isn't that kind of the point?

For most of the show, Skyler HASN'T been a terrible human being, though. Walt is a much, much worse person than Skyler, but Skyler gets a disproportionate amount of hatred. My issue is also WHAT she gets hatred for, as indicated by my reply to jouseldelka. When people make Walt out to be Skyler's victim, it's a little silly, don't you think?

XCEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By XCEagle

@millionthlayla said:

@alexw00d said:

@millionthlayla said:
@jouseldelka said:

For most of the show, Skyler HASN'T been a terrible human being, though. Walt is a much, much worse person than Skyler, but Skyler gets a disproportionate amount of hatred. My issue is also WHAT she gets hatred for, as indicated by my reply to jouseldelka. When people make Walt out to be Skyler's victim, it's a little silly, don't you think?

Except as the OP so eloquently put it, she looked at him wrong. She's such a dick!