#1 Posted by BBAlpert (1428 posts) -

First off, I apologize if this is a little icky.

I can't remember what prompted this, but the other day I realized that I didn't know whether ear wax was something that the body generates, like snot, or if it was just an accretion of dust and other airborne gunk that settles in the ear, like belly button lint or whatever.

Or maybe it's a combination of both, like a bunch of assorted crud suspended in some kind of bodily substance?

#2 Posted by s10129107 (1182 posts) -

They've invented this great ubiquitous new Lord called "the internet". I've heard tell you can go and ask "the internet" shit like this via its shamen "Google" and "Wikipedia".

#3 Posted by Ducksworth (660 posts) -

It's a secretion.

#4 Posted by RazielCuts (2943 posts) -
#5 Posted by s10129107 (1182 posts) -

Also, your body fucking makes ear wax. CMON MAN.

#6 Posted by Tackchevy (264 posts) -

Ear wax (cerumen) is generated in the part of the ear where you find it. It's a combination of mostly dead skin bound together by fatty acids and cholesterol secreted from specialized glands in there.

#7 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

Why would you ask this in a video game forum? Have you heard of Google? Bing? Ask Jeeves, for fuck sake.

#8 Posted by Veektarius (4746 posts) -

@Tackchevy: Kudos on providing a useful response devoid of icky images!

#9 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

Also, it's not a good idea to clean it out at all. You're supposed to leave it in there. You can only clean the outer ear lobes, not in the hole. DON'T STICK IT IN THE HOLE!

#10 Edited by roc_553 (208 posts) -

Maybe you should check this out?

If only there was a website that tested things seen on tv.