#1 Edited by golguin (3869 posts) -

It's been a while since I've felt an earthquake that lasted this long and with this much shaking. It didn't feel that bad, but it lasted a good 15 seconds. I was re-watching the final episode of Kill la Kill and had to stand up to stop my plasma screen from shaking.

#2 Posted by MB (12207 posts) -

USGS says it was a 5.2 outside of La Habra. Come on, that's nothing for California!

#3 Posted by Jeust (10541 posts) -

It's the San Andreas Fault acting up.

#4 Edited by Bones8677 (3224 posts) -

I sure as hell felt it. I LIVE IN LA HABRA. It was the worst i've been in. Shit was falling down all around me. I had to grab one of our dogs and we all ran out of the house.

#5 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

Yeah, my daughter was jumping on the sofa at the time, she didn't even notice.

#6 Posted by Rebel_Scum (676 posts) -

No I was in Los Santos at the time.

#7 Edited by Mezmero (1858 posts) -

Lol yeah I felt it. It happened just at the time I need to get up for work so it kinda worked out for me.

#8 Posted by EveretteScott (1452 posts) -

It was her all along!

#9 Posted by TheHT (11102 posts) -

Man, I'd hate to be on the toilet when an earthquake hits. That's gotta be the worst.

#10 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

@starvinggamer said:

It was her all along!

You callin' mah daughter fat?

*spit*

Step outside.

#11 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2146 posts) -

I felt nothing in Mar Vista, but the previous quake hit pretty good.

#12 Edited by tsiro (214 posts) -

Over in the South Bay it shook for a good long while but it was pretty mild.

#13 Posted by TooWalrus (13156 posts) -

I didn't feel a thing, though I'm in Michigan, so that's understandable.

#14 Posted by Original_Hank (98 posts) -

I'm right by the epicenter too. Got owned. Lots of broken glass and stuff,but still safe at least. Time to invest in a bugout bag.

#15 Posted by TRSJabber (26 posts) -

I felt it in Burbank, but by the time the waves reached us here, they had calmed considerably and we only felt a gentle rocking sensation, almost like being on a train. I hope you all in Orange County are unharmed. I grew up in Brea and was there for the Whittier-Narrows quake in 1987 and the Northridge quake in 1994. I was 10 when the Whittier Narrows quake hit. It was my first and I thought the world was ending.

#16 Edited by coaxmetal (1603 posts) -

Read this as south carolina at first, and of course not. But reread, and it was more appropriate. I live in SF and still did not feel it though, but if the SF earthquake twitter account is any indication, there's hella quakes I don't feel (mostly less than 2.0 magnitude, which is mostly nothing. iirc the Richter scale is exponential)

In theory, we may be due for another biggun. One of the big nearby faults (not sure if it's san andreas or hayward) is long long overdue to slip, big time, which would cause a mess.

Hopefully i'll have beer for when the big one hits, stores might close. Gotta prepare. Hopefully nobody was hurt by this one though.

e: !!!!! big news. Based on a tweet I saw, someone's water bottle fell over. Updates as the situation progresses.

#17 Edited by Emperor_Norton (42 posts) -

Yeah, I was in the middle of watching Noah when it hit, whole theater started shaking and swaying like some fucking over the top D-Box bullshit

#18 Posted by DeadpanCakes (833 posts) -

Whuh? There was an earthquake? I'm too far south in California to have been affected I suppose.

#19 Posted by Bones8677 (3224 posts) -

@ronald_raiden: I'll do you one better, bunch of my figurines fell from the shelves, as well as my katana set. Bunch of broken glass in the kitchen. Thankfully, everyone's alright.

#20 Posted by Andorski (5244 posts) -

I don't feel anything under 6.5

#21 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7074 posts) -

I felt it in South Dakota. It may have been a train or a semi or something but I'm pretty sure it was the earthquake. I'm extremely sensitive to seismic activity.

#22 Posted by President_Barackbar (3448 posts) -
@mb said:

USGS says it was a 5.2 outside of La Habra. Come on, that's nothing for California!

In the grand scheme of things, no. But its the biggest one we've had in a bit.

#23 Edited by jking47 (1209 posts) -

I am in San Jose, did not notice anything. The big one is yet to come!

It makes me think about how crazy a bad earthquake could be though... Time to make a bug-out bag I guess.

#24 Edited by Milkman (16619 posts) -

I'm extremely sensitive to seismic activity.

That's a helluva pick up line.

#25 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7074 posts) -

@milkman said:

@mariachimacabre said:

I'm extremely sensitive to seismic activity.

That's a helluva pick up line.

Also the world's worst X-Men power.

#26 Posted by EveretteScott (1452 posts) -

@starvinggamer: Not at all good sir!

*cleans up spit*

*spit-shines your shoes with it*

#27 Posted by bigjeffrey (4910 posts) -

I was asleep, it woke me up and I went back to sleep shortly after.

#28 Posted by Bones8677 (3224 posts) -

Still getting a bunch of Aftershocks round here. I hope this isn't a precursor to 'The Big One.' >_>

#29 Edited by bigjeffrey (4910 posts) -

Another one just now, so many that's like 4 in the past couple of weeks.

#30 Posted by Andorski (5244 posts) -

Oh, common guys! Act like Californians!! Anything less than the '94 Northridge quake ain't news.

#31 Edited by ripelivejam (3743 posts) -

@mb said:

people always say this, but i think the last big ones were the bay area one in 1989 and the northridge one in 1994. i do see some above 6.0 since then but haven't read or heard anything about them.

#32 Posted by TyCobb (1961 posts) -

Nope. Northern California here. With any luck, a big ass one will come and send San Francisco out into the abyss and split Southern California away from us. =)

#33 Posted by TheBrainninja (179 posts) -

High Desert here, I felt it too. Not terrible where I was, just shook gently for a while. Glad y'all La Habrans are safe, sorry about your stuff. I'm really lax about securing stuff, so I doubt I'd fare any better if one hit stronger/closer. A good reminder to implement best earthquake practices :/

#34 Posted by CornBREDX (5051 posts) -

I live in Texas now so no, but everyone was talking about it in the GBS Diablo 3 clan (#2) last night.

I grew up in cali and remember the one in 87 i think it was because it hit while we were watching the news and I'll never forget how freaked out the news casters were getting live on TV (I was a small child so to me that was something I'd never seen before- and honestly I've never seen a quake hit while News was broadcasting live since either) and in 94 the quake was insane. It caused my hamster cage to fall off a speaker stand I had it on on the wall (the hamster was fine) a bunch of windows shattered and all kinds of broken stuff everywhere. My older sister lived in Northridge at the time so wasn't so lucky. Her and her family were on the news because the house damage was so bad they camped in their yard for a few days or something.