End of the semester and hitting a wall...

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 21

Do you guys ever get to a point at the end of the semester when you just feel like you've expended all the mental capacity you can muster.  To be perfectly honest, my drive to do well drops significantly in the 2nd semester...I still do well as I fall into the motions of doing my work, but it's a much more arduous task in the winter semester.  First semester I am eager and happy to do work, but 2nd semester I hate it...I hate so damn much.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nick_verissimo

I hit a wall right at the end of the semester before exams.  I get so drained that when it comes to exam time that I can't focus and I can't bring myself to studying.  I've got about 4 hours to an Inorganic final tonight and even though I'm iffy on some topics, I almost am at a point of acceptance that I really can't process anything else at this point.  I don't think I'm going to fail, but I'm also not expecting high results.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@chocolaterhinovampire said:
" Do you guys ever get to a point at the end of the semester when you just feel like you've expended all the mental capacity you can muster.  To be perfectly honest, my drive to do well drops significantly in the 2nd semester...I still do well as I fall into the motions of doing my work, but it's a much more arduous task in the winter semester.  First semester I am eager and happy to do work, but 2nd semester I hate it...I hate so damn much. "
Read my bio, man. I'm one term from finishing my degree and really couldn't care less. 

I definitely think there is a difference between intelligence and academia. I have drive, but not at all for my studies. I want a 9 to 5 where I can drop work the minute I leave and indulge in any guilty pleasure I fancy.
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just finishing up a 25 pg history paper I have due next week and starting preliminary research for my MA topic...the evolution of government policy toward the use a pesticides in agriculture in Ontario...I only have one exam, but after I finish this paper I think i'm gonna shut my brain off till I come back on the 7th of January.  I am not overly intelligent...I just work hard, early and often.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Brians

I'm there right now excited my semester is nearly over.

chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya I hear that...I am going to do little of anything that could be seen as having academic value.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By beej
@nick_verissimo said:
" I hit a wall right at the end of the semester before exams.  I get so drained that when it comes to exam time that I can't focus and I can't bring myself to studying.  I've got about 4 hours to an Inorganic final tonight and even though I'm iffy on some topics, I almost am at a point of acceptance that I really can't process anything else at this point.  I don't think I'm going to fail, but I'm also not expecting high results. "
I get to feeling that way, but since I want to go on to law I've got myself convinced that anything other than an A is unacceptable in order to go to a good school. So basically I'm starting to get towards acceptance, I just end up fighting it. That said I just finished for the term hooray! And like others have said I'm at the point where I would love to have a 9-5 that ends at the end of the day, instead of extending till 5 am sometimes...

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sgjackson

I decided I wanted to change my major and hit the wall super hard...in October. I think it's going to screw me.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By nick_verissimo
@beej:  
Yep, the idea of the 9-5 is all that really keeps me motivated. I feel like I haven't had a good night's rest since mid-November and the elation I'll feel once exam's are over will be pretty awesome.  Good stuff on being done for the semester, I'm definitely jealous of you. 

@GetEveryone: I'm the same way, there are some classes i have no problem getting motivated and pumped for, but there are just some things I can't bear to make myself get through.  University isn't even about how smart you are, it's just a matter of saying no to everything fun (most of the time) and following along and doing exactly what your Prof. tells you.  It's a bummer.
is343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By is343
@nick_verissimo said:

" I hit a wall right at the end of the semester before exams.  I get so drained that when it comes to exam time that I can't focus and I can't bring myself to studying.  I've got about 4 hours to an Inorganic final tonight and even though I'm iffy on some topics, I almost am at a point of acceptance that I really can't process anything else at this point.  I don't think I'm going to fail, but I'm also not expecting high results. "

Pretty much this exactly. 
I've spent the last several days doing almost anything else instead of studying. Cleaning, reading, cooking, sleeping, anything else. I just can't bring myself to sit down and do it, no matter how badly I want and know I need to. Except once I do get into the groove, I'm good to go. Until the next time I get up for anything. 
Now I have just this weekend left. I keep telling myself I'm going to, because I've just got a couple semesters left until I'm done and I have to do well. We'll see how well that goes. I'm in the limbo of the 'meh, I'll wing it' stage, and the 'I'm getting this done' stage.

Edit: Also, I'm sitting in the library on giantbomb instead of studying. Not a very good sign. :|
goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By goodwood

My friends hate me because I can get away with not studying and still do well on tests. Homework is one thing I just dont like doing it since it seems like pointless work most of the time. Group presentations are what I hate the most when stuck with a shit group. I just had 2 of those this past week.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Grissefar

Yes, I find it's easy to burn out and not perform the best with courses that are irrelevant - such as Chemistry, Science Studies and Statistics. Who the hell use that? It's much easier to get involved and spend a bunch of hours on something interesting, such as using advanced computer simulation programs to set up the services and design of a building.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13  Edited By damnboyadvance

I think it's backwards for me. I hate the 1st semester, but the 2nd semester goes by quicker.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By droop

No Caption Provided
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iam3green

yep, school. school sucks or at least it's what i think. i hate school ii can't wait until i'm done with it. community college is like high school number 2 just you pay and more things to learn. i'm horrible with school i tell you what.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Brians
@Droop:  That is a damn good graphic and true too.
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By luce

I can't wait till someone invents information pills

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Yeah, this happened to me about a month ago. Man, I screwed up big time this semester. I can say goodbye to being on the dean's list. 

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Arbie

I kinda know what you mean but I've only just finished my first term! My main problem is that I've put myself into holiday mode when I need to have my writing portfolio in for Monday. I have a lot to do and I've partly shut down my brain to Uni already. =P

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CptChiken

I tend to laps for about a week, then kick myself back into gear. never had a problem with motivation i just seem to find it easy to strive for goals i set myself i guess.

AceBlack19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By AceBlack19
@Droop said:
"
No Caption Provided
fica"
This summarizes everything. Seriously. Great pic.

Its fairly common to burn out on school near the final weeks. I finished up my thesis project last year, and due to complications with IGETSE certification I'm stuck in school still. It feels very anti-climactic and an unnecessary expenditure, but it would also be silly to stop going after coming this far.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HandsomeDead

I spent last weekend pretty much awake for the duration. I ended up doing what I always do where I'll do the research for the essay, I'll make it into notes and then think I'm prepared and end up having to write a zillion pages by dawn. I've been sleeping pretty heavily since, which has actually been pretty nice even if I do feel like I should be partying or something instead.

chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CptChiken: I have developed a pattern for work so even if I feel like doing nothing my body just goes into auto pilot and I start bashing my head through the wall that is University...its just a lot of hard work for me...work hard...work early and work often, but I need a damn break lol...christmas is looking extra sweet this year
CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CptChiken
@chocolaterhinovampire: Yeah sounds like you are in need of a break.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Azteck

Yeah, I'm right there. I've been home for almost a week, have a math and physics exam on Tuesday as well as a presentation on various server-things and I haven't done shit on it. I just don't really care, too drained from the rest of all the stuff we've done in school.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#26  Edited By wwfundertaker

My brain feels like its going to explode. Need to keep it together for the exams.