EuroVision Hype Thread

• 85 results
imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@soulcake: Alright thanks. I'm planning on watching the finals so was more just curious if there were any acts that didn't make the cut that were maybe still worth seeking out. Sounds like I can give most of it a miss then. Finals without Russia are going to be crazy though, pretty exciting actually!

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@imhungry: It's funny how Russia send somebody in wheelchair in order to not get booed and then they still got booed. Maybe it's for the best that Russia didn't get in the finals. I am almost feeling pity for that poor artist who's got nothing to do with shitty Russian / Christian Orthodox Politics.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I thought the second semi final was lackluster overall, but I was happy to see Moldova bringing it again, very fun performance

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't know if it's region-blocked or available for everyone, but the grand final will be live-streamed on YouTube:

Loading Video...

gerdoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here we go :D

elbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By elbon
Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Eurovision is always good for a laugh, especially with Graham Norton.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Getting some real The XX vibes from Portugal's entry this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bulgaria the best. Czech Republic, Israel and Netherlands the worst

hnke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By hnke

Something about the recent ironic "appreciation" of Eurovision annoys me even more than the sincere appreciation of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People have the worst taste. Israel was literally the worst song

meatsofevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boonsong: Definitely not my toy. I am definitely a stupid boy.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Our girl did amazingly. I would have been terrified if that had happened to me, but she just grabbed another mic and carried on. Well done SuRie!

The rest of it was very predictable. My best mate and me managed to predict about 80% of the 12 point scores.

David

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@boonsong: I agree. I didn't like any of the other songs but that was the worst one.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@hnke said:

Something about the recent ironic "appreciation" of Eurovision annoys me even more than the sincere appreciation of it.

Eh, they're really doing it to themselves.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Just when I thought Eurovision was done with the casual racism (and being pleasantly surprised how many non-white acts there were this year), the one act which was overtly racist won. I genuinely can't believe this song even made it on stage: they made a song out of the fact they think the Japanese word for stupid, "baka", sounds like a chicken noise so the singer proceeds to imitate Japanese apperance while making chicken noises and dance. She stands in front of a wall of lucky cats and sings about Pikachu in part of the song. I know the song is about female empowerment to not get walked all over by "stupid boys" but why couldn't they have done it without all the Asian stereotypes.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I predicted the Netherlands to finish 16th. Ended up 18th. Not bad. Expected Cyprus or Austria to win it all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: I've both heard news about and seen disturbing videos of LGBT members being harassed and even beaten in Russia. Quite horrific.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#70 gamer_152  Moderator

Was very pleasantly surprised by Hungary, they were my favourite of the night. Lithuania and Estonia also had very strong performances and you can't deny the power of Ukraine's stage piece. I was also touched to see France taking a stand for refugee rights and the hosts' humour was so terrible it was entertaining in its own way. Norton was as great as ever. The whole Israel thing left an awful taste in my mouth though. They had a racist caricature up on stage that they were selling as a symbol of diversity. How are we still doing this shit in 2018?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamer_152: Europe is really racist is my takeaway. Seriously
Not that it's a surprise..

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72  Edited By Onemanarmyy

When it comes to cultural appropriation i'm not well versed into that matter so i might be wrong on this. Please be gentle, i understand this is a loaded issue and i'm not out there to make people angry. I just want to learn.

I thought the issue revolved around the idea that you're taking the good parts of other cultures and claiming them as part of your own. When you look at that Israel performance, the stage & costuming was made to create an asian vibe, while not having a clear reason to do that apart from the looping tables looking sort of cyber, combined with a lot of cyberpunk styling themselves after that continent. But at the same time, i wonder what the thing is that turns it racist instead of appreciation. Wouldn't it need years of continuous 'stealing' of this style before people start making the false connection that this style is part of Israel instead of Asia? One artist using this style feels like such a small blip on the radar that no one would ever start to attribute these icons to Israel.

Looking at my own country's performance (The Netherlands) we had a guy that adopted the 'Waylon' stagename because he's a fan of Waylon Jennings. Very much an country / americana lover that has styled himself after that image for years. We had dancers krumping around, which is also not part of our culture. Honestly, i think that was a pretty tacky presentation. But as we're a very US-focused society, there are loads of american things we pick up and embrace. I'm lucky enough to not have grown up in a ghetto and never felt like my race was an issue, but i still love to listen to hiphop songs where that's part of the content. We eat McDonalds & hang around in Starbucks. We are entertained by the same movies,music, theatre and books. We make use the same services and touch the same devices. When we start to style ourselves in an American fashion , isn't that relatively natural for the people that grow up in such an environment? We get influenced by what surrounds us. A lot of that is American.

As the world becomes more and more globalized, we see ,hear and experience more and more cool shit that is not part of our own heritage. When we humans love something, we might want to surround ourself by that. I think the most common one that we encounter on the internet is how anime lovers are more likely to take japanese classes, enjoy cyberpunk, listen to japanese music and adopt japanese sounding names & avatars on the internet. Japanese media like Attack on Titan & Valkyria Chronicles take certain aspects of germanic culture to dress their stories in. we're dressing up in Lederhosen & Dirndl's when we take part in the german Oktoberfest. We don't do that to take away their culture, we do it because it 'fits' with the event, and is very much a once in a year event that warrants such a celebration of German culture to us. That feels more natural than admiring it from the side as we stand there with our orange-coloured outfits representing our own national iconography.

I guess that i have a hard time conciling with the idea that as globalization spreads, we can learn & appreciate aspects from other cultures,but should keep ourselves far away from letting others know about that, through how we present ourselves. That feels counter to the idea that you can grow up with all those different cultures affecting you and shaping you into the person that you are today. If you spent 3 years in India and felt a huge connection to that lifestyle, what's against carrying some of that with you? As long as you're not making a deliberate effort to obfuscate that it's native to India or promote the idea that the style originated in your nation, i don't see the problem.

When i think of cultural appropriation i feel like it requires a certain group, institution, country or ideology to have a multi-year campaign to keep claiming the same cultural icons as their own until people start to see that group as the rightful owner of those symbols. Like a football club having an native american name & logo to the point where people might associate them first with the icons presented. An artist wearing a cowboyhat or a kimono feels like a pip on the radar that doesn't have a similar effect. To me, there's a difference between a deliberate attack on a culture over a long stretch of time by a powerful group of people and the personal choices of an individual. Especially when the person has no known longstanding history of trying to take those cultural symbols away from the rightful owners.

I guess the main question i have is : How can you show appreciation of a different culture and embrace it, without it being seen as a malicious deed? Or should we ideally not acknowledge that appreciation in our appearance , but rather adopt a more Billy Mitchell-esque appearance that solely incorporates your own culture's heritage?

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess the main question i have is : How can you show appreciation of a different culture and embrace it, without it being seen as a malicious deed? Or should we ideally not acknowledge that appreciation in our appearance , but rather adopt a more Billy Mitchell-esque appearance that solely incorporates your own culture's heritage?

By being aware of the points you made, and then ignoring the nay-sayers. Most of them aren't even from that culture themselves, but have taken on some righteous task to actively police all others. I suppose in an attempt to feel useful, connected, and wanted. It bores me, frankly. Much like how people cannot for the life of them create anything humorous, besides regurgitating memes and movie quotes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy said:

By not being a lazy stereotype for jokes and laughs.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By soulcake

@boonsong: Hey man Israel ain't Europe :P

Funny fact Israel lies in Asia

mmm Austria was the real winner for me solid song great act. Kinda sad the song with the worst written lyrics in the competition won. That says a lot about the voters i guess.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake: doesnt matter even a little bit.

EDIT: I was referring to Europe voting for Israel, if it wasn't clear. Its a Euro competition so your point is moot. And I thought you meant Israel being located in Asia somehow made its racist song fine, which it's not

DodoBasse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: Ok, full stop. Switzerland is a part of Europe, politically as well as geographically. Just because they are not parr of the EU doesn't mean they aren't part of the political landscape.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By fledeye

For confused non-Europeans -

The Eurovision Song Contest has nothing to do with which counties are geographically or politically in Europe. It was an idea of Italy's to help bring all the war torn countries together after the Second World War. Any country which is part of the EBU (European Broadcasting Union) can be eligible to take part providing they can host the following year's contest should they win. The name is a hangover from the early days of the contest which only featured seven European countries, but now covers; The UK and Ireland, continental Europe, North Africa, the Middle East and the old Eastern Block/USSR countries.

The EBU is funded by five countries known as the Big Five; UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy and those countries automatically qualify for the final.

As it's a melting pot of ex-pats from all over Europe, Australians have always followed the contest and have one of the biggest fan bases. As a member of the EBU, they were invited a few years ago as a guest contestant on the understanding that if they won, one of the Big Five would host. They did really well in the first contest, have ploughed a lot of money into the contest and local tourism for the host nation, so have been allowed to stay.

The contest is in no way supposed to be political as it was supposed to bring countries together in music, but over the years has become more and more and politics and which counties you border. For example the UK always give Ireland a lot of points because they are our neighbours and we haven't been the nicest to them over the years. On the other hand, Ireland never give the UK a high score because we are responsible for most of the issues Ireland has ever had. Norway and Sweden will always give each other lots of points (except for the famous nul points years), the Balkan counties always give each other high marks and Malta normally give the UK high marks because they're part of the Commonwealth.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: Shaking my head and pinching the bridge of my nose, duder. Did you perhaps mean the European Union?

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By BrainScratch

Everyone I know from my country and from the rest of Europe are talking about how the show went and favorite/least favorite songs, meanwhile in here (where there's probably a bunch of Americans?) there's an overblown talk about racism and cultural appropriation. It's kinda hilarious, ironic, and sad.

It just seems that it's getting less and less appealing to participate in any kind of fun topic on the Giant Bomb forums...

Anyway, I think there was a bunch of bad songs on the finals (as usual for Eurovision), but the winning song was definitely the worst of them all.

Also, I don't know if people from overseas enjoyed the opening act and the "in-between" acts, but as a Portuguese I thought we were well represented musically with Mariza, Ana Moura, Beatbombers and Branko. (I don't enjoy Salvador Sobral).

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the best way I've heard cultural appropriation described is by a uni professor. Cultural appropriation is plagiarism, while cultural appreciation is referencing. In the former you're taking without asking for permission and not showing respect to the one you're stealing from, whereas the latter you're giving proper credit and paying due diligence.

I do understand why the song won, it was the best overall package: song, performance and message (if you don't count the Serbians, who were robbed). It's just a shame that it had to have the other stuff on it. What's ironic is that I've also seen the alt-right hating on the song for obvious reasons.

@johnymyko:I dunno, maybe it's just Portugal, because I definitely saw talk of the cultural appropriation from Finnish, Swedish, British and Irish people. I liked the Portuguese in-between more than pretty much any of the acts this year. The acts were spot frigging on.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

When i think of cultural appropriation i feel like it requires a certain group, institution, country or ideology to have a multi-year campaign to keep claiming the same cultural icons as their own until people start to see that group as the rightful owner of those symbols. Like a football club having an native american name & logo to the point where people might associate them first with the icons presented. An artist wearing a cowboyhat or a kimono feels like a pip on the radar that doesn't have a similar effect. To me, there's a difference between a deliberate attack on a culture over a long stretch of time by a powerful group of people and the personal choices of an individual.

This specifically is where the problem is. A personal choice of an individual don't really matter all that much by itself, in the grand scheme of things. But if enough individuals make these one-off personal choices over a long enough span of time, it starts to look like a deliberate attack on a culture.

In other words, a white guy going to a Halloween party dressed like a native American isn't an isolated incident. He's part of a larger group. There are other white dudes at other Halloween parties wearing the same cheap costume, which was only made by the costume company because enough other white dudes bought the company's "Big Chief" costume the previous year, and the years before that.

THAT'S why it's a problem.