favorite DVD commentary tracks?

Thrillhouse87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Thrillhouse87

anyone here a fan of watching DVD's with commentary tracks? I have only seen a few, but really enjoy them if they are good.  
If I were to recommend a movie, it would be the commentary track for "This Is Spinal Tap." It's all done in character, and is about as funny as the movie itself. It kinda feels like a brand new Spinal Tap movie in a way.  

which are some of your favorites? 

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

Bubba Ho-Tep has some pretty awesome in-character commentary as well. Plus, y'know, Bruce Campbell.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Spoonman671

I know there's a version of Conan the Barbarian that has a hilariously stoned Schwarzenegger, but I'm not sure which one it is.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Love commentary. Often more than the movie. And actually TV show commentary is worth a whole new thread... lots of gems there.

Conan the Barbarian: Very rare Schwarzenegger commentary, in which he may or may not be stoned. And a very creepy, girl-excited director. Also, this movie kicks ass.

Ocean's Eleven: This is a pretty good pop-corn movie but the Matt Damon/Brad Pitt/Andy Garcia commentary is actually really awesome. Andy is being super serious the whole time while Damon and Pitt are laughing non-stop.

Blade Runner: One of my favorite movies, so that's why it's here mostly. You learn a lot about this movie from Ridley Scott. Very cool details.

Could go on and on, but that's enough for now I think. Never seen the This is Spinal Tap commentary but that sounds amazing.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Pie

Every episode of the Simpsons has commentary and they are all pretty good. Listened to all 1-9 atleast 3 times I think

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By EarlessShrimp

I will say Total Recall has some of the best commentary ever for anything. It's sort of indescribable...

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By thebunnyhunter

Total Recall, Arnold does the best commentary ever

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By VierasTalo

Evil Dead, Bruce Campbell's track. It's awesome. Preferrably the second one recorded, I think the current bluray release has the third one and the first was a Laserdisc-thing with the whole crew I think. Campbell's solo one is the one to get. Also, Evil Dead II, with Tapert, Raimi and Campbell is beyond hilarious. Freddy VS Jason is totally great too, giving lots of info on the past of the project and good banter between all three participants.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By tallTuck94

Most Judd Apatow/Seth Rogan films tend to have really funny commentary.

I enjoyed the Game of Thrones commentary as well because they rotate through the cast for each episode meaning you get the funny cast stories but you also get the technical side as well. I would have preferred a second selection of commentaries completely by George RR Martin because he only does one episode and I'd love to see what he thought of the series episode by episode.

Scott Pilgrim Vs the World probably has my favorite selection of commentaries. They have a technical one with Edgar Wright, Bryan Lee O'Malley and I think Michael Bacall. Then they have a core cast podcast with Cera, Winstead, and some of the evil exes.

The funniest one though is the one filed with the supporting characters which has people like Aubrey Plaza, Mark Webber, and Anna Kendrick. It's probably my favorite commentary of all time.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pie said:

Every episode of the Simpsons has commentary and they are all pretty good.

This, except for any with Yeardley Smith

tsiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tsiro

The Team Meat commentary track for Indie Game: The Movie is super entertaining.

jasonmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jasonmartin

Simpsons's every episode is too rocking, I have listen their every track.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By myniceicelife

every so often i watch all the original Futurama episodes with the commentary tracks. I could recite each episode probably word for word anyways, but the commentary is enjoyable for both laughs and some actual intelligent stuff.

lemonlateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lemonlateralus

Lord of the ring:extended editions. Multiple tracks, from actors to art directors.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By csl316

Big Trouble in Little China Just John Carpenter and Kurt Russell screwing around for a while. With some insight thrown in.

TheWretched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheWretched

Fight Club is great

EDIT: And maybe the "reviewers" tracks on the Matrix ones. It's funny, because they bash the second and third movie quite a bit^^

Slumberpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Slumberpunch

Roadhouse with commentary by Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier is pretty great.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By landon

Clerks X.

Keven Smith has his producer Scott Mosier with the core cast tell some pretty hilarious stories while watching the movie. It might as well be a Smodcast.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By BrittonPeele

I don't watch a ton, and haven't made a habit of it in quite awhile, but I remember liking the one for A Series of Unfortunate Events because Daniel Handler does the commentary in-character as Lemony Snicket.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By landon

@Slumberpunch: They did a commentary for Road House? Err....why?

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wampa1

Any of the Ridley Scott commentaries are great, guy goes into detail and clearly loves what he does. The John Carpenter and Kurt Russell ones are really good, can hear the fact these guys have been friends for years.

@Landon: Just really big fans of the movie, they talk about it in depth in an interview, some Road House producer saw it and asked from what i know.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By audiosnow

Tropic Thunder has an outstanding commentary track.

On the opposite side of the world, A Series of Unfortunate Events also has a great one.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By csl316
@Intelligent_Space_Man

@csl316 said:

Big Trouble in Little China Just John Carpenter and Kurt Russell screwing around for a while. With some insight thrown in.

I'd recommend any John Carpenter and Kurt Russell commentary, since they usually get pretty drunk during the course of them.

Indeed. The Thing and Escape from New York stand out, too. Lots of "So Kurt, can you still do that nowadays?" *super hoarse laughter*
Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Vonocourt

@tallTuck94 said:

I enjoyed the Game of Thrones commentary as well because they rotate through the cast for each episode meaning you get the funny cast stories but you also get the technical side as well. I would have preferred a second selection of commentaries completely by George RR Martin because he only does one episode and I'd love to see what he thought of the series episode by episode.

I tried watching that episode, got about fifteen minutes before the constant "and this is this character," or "and this is this character doing this" got to be too much. Hope for the next time Martin does commentary they have someone with him so he doesn't have to stress about dead air.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#25  Edited By Daneian

Every track for Arrested Development.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tallTuck94

@Vonocourt: yeah it would have been better if David Benioff and D.B. Weiss joined him to discuss the process of adapting the books into a tv show.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CaLe

I really need to do some research and then catch up on all of the crazy/interesting/genuinely good commentaries I've missed. I think I've listened to one in my whole life and it wasn't very good. I think my expectations were just too high. It was the Anchorman commentary.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

The first season of Louie is pretty great!

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By rachelepithet

Simpsons seasons 1-10

ZNine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ZNine

I've always loved Brian Blessed's commentary in Flash Gordon, its hilarious how into the movie he gets.

SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SargeGulp

Blade Runner (ridley scott)

Jason and the argonauts (peter jackson)

The fighter (david o russell)

Rome. Just like Game of Thrones the whole cast rotates.(such a good fucking cast)

AndyAce83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By AndyAce83

Cannibal the Muscal drunken commentary. All the crew sit down, drink, talk, get pissed. It goes from there. Also, before they get smashed, we learn alot from their mistakes.

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By nerdsbeware

@mlarrabee said:

Tropic Thunder has an outstanding commentary track.

Yes, probably one of my favorites as well.

Community's episode commentaries are fantastic. Most of Kevin Smith's films have good ones as well since he gets a good majority of the cast to come and do them. Aside from that, Lord of the Rings - I had mono a few years ago and basically drifted in and out of consciousness while listening to these. Obviously I had to go back and re-listen, still great heh.