Featured User review. What a nice surprise.

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Edited By BR4DL3I9H

I came onto Giant bomb this morning, as I do most mornings, and started browsing the site to find the Persona Endurance run videos (I have watched up to, and including, video 26). After a short while I noticed a message in my inbox, but thinking it was probably a general announcement, I let it be. Eventually I opened my inbox.

Now, for me this is how a good day starts. I received a message informing me that my review for Pixel Junk Monsters would be a featured user review on the front page, from 25/09 for about 2 -3 days. This isn't something that happens to me, at all. I have started writing more reviews for games in the last few weeks, but have only posted 2 recently (The other review is for Wanted: Weapons of fate). The reason I chose to review Pixel Junk Monsters was because it is such a good game, and it is almost criminal that no one had reviewed it yet.

This is just the recognition I needed, as I often wonder if even writing a review is worth all the effort, but this definitely makes me keen to keep writing them. It is great when I see other people reading my reviews, especially if they like them, but I would still love some constructive criticism.

Currently I am playing Resistance 2. I have completed the single player and now am concentrating on competitive and Co-op, so hopefully I should have another review up for that game shortly. After that I am looking forward to Infamous, which I will hopefully get in a few days time.

I am curious about other peoples opinions on user review though, do you read them? Do you write them? If you don't write them, why?

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

I came onto Giant bomb this morning, as I do most mornings, and started browsing the site to find the Persona Endurance run videos (I have watched up to, and including, video 26). After a short while I noticed a message in my inbox, but thinking it was probably a general announcement, I let it be. Eventually I opened my inbox.

Now, for me this is how a good day starts. I received a message informing me that my review for Pixel Junk Monsters would be a featured user review on the front page, from 25/09 for about 2 -3 days. This isn't something that happens to me, at all. I have started writing more reviews for games in the last few weeks, but have only posted 2 recently (The other review is for Wanted: Weapons of fate). The reason I chose to review Pixel Junk Monsters was because it is such a good game, and it is almost criminal that no one had reviewed it yet.

This is just the recognition I needed, as I often wonder if even writing a review is worth all the effort, but this definitely makes me keen to keep writing them. It is great when I see other people reading my reviews, especially if they like them, but I would still love some constructive criticism.

Currently I am playing Resistance 2. I have completed the single player and now am concentrating on competitive and Co-op, so hopefully I should have another review up for that game shortly. After that I am looking forward to Infamous, which I will hopefully get in a few days time.

I am curious about other peoples opinions on user review though, do you read them? Do you write them? If you don't write them, why?

SenatorSpacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By SenatorSpacer

I try to read all of my friend's, but oddly not that many people write reviews up. And I base my purchases on what this great community thinks. And I do write them, I have a review for Dishwasher and trying to write up a review on Mushroom Men.

Congrats on the featured user review!
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By jkz

Congrats man, I'm thinking I'm going to start putting up some of the reviews I write for my blog here.

I do read reviews, but I only read them fully if the writing itself is good.
BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

Thanks! I to look to the community a lot when making a decision of whether or not to buy a game, especially if the game is quite old, because you get a much better feel for how well the game has held up over the years. I understand why people don't write many reviews though, which is shame, but at the same time it is dissapointing when you put a lot of effort into a review and no one reads it.

I will admit that i will also only really read a review which is well written. Even though i do not always spell rights correctly and sometimes miss use commas, i don't really have the energy to read a review when the author hasn't even bothered to spell check it.

SynisterSpacer, i read your Dishwasher review and i thought it was good. Actually, i don't know if you are going to read this, so i will leave a comment on your review.

SenatorSpacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5  Edited By SenatorSpacer
BR4DL3I9H said:
Thanks! I to look to the community a lot when making a decision of whether or not to buy a ... [more]
Thanks :D I thought it was an okay review, but thanks for the comment :D Also just picked up Bionic Commando.
BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

That should be good. I would be interested to hear what you think about it. I was tempted to pick it up, but my monthly gaming budget is going on Infamous.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By gingertastic_10

congrats man, ill try to keep up on your reviews, they are pretty good, if only i could write good ones as well lol

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

Thanks. I do like getting feedback when i have written a review, it makes the whole process a lot more worth while.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Crono

Congrats first off.

Now for your questions at the end of your post:

Yes, I write reviews.  I wish I was much better at it, of course, but I feel with each one I get better.  I hope others read them, but I really don't mind if none ever do because really I find myself just enjoying writing reviews about games and finding out how I feel about each game and what all I feel I can say about a particular game in an objective voice (ok, not all are objective... but still that is usually the goal). 

I read many user reviews here because I like the community here.  This site was designed for people who are very passionate about gaming so I feel that most here will give a constructive review of a game.  I usually read reviews to older games I am considering checking out.  For instance, recently I read this review of Sly Cooper 2 because I have it on a list of older games I want to play through some day.  So I decided to research the game some and this person's review has helped convince me that it would be worth my time.  Now I have it in my Gamefly Q and as soon as I send back Valkyria Chronicles which Brad and Dave did a Quick Look on back in February.

So yes, we are out there, the few but proud who read and write reviews and I am glad that you were chosen for the feature so that you now have motivation to continue writing reviews.  Great work man!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By natetodamax

Nice job, man!

I have written a few reviews. You can check them out in my profile if you'd like. I really only review games that stun me in some way or if I feel that it's a game worth reviewing. If I were to pick which of my reviews on Giant Bomb I'm most proud of, I'd have to say it's my Left 4 Dead one.

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By ShadowKiller

Usually when I think I'm going to buy a new game I'll go to the game's page and find out what this awesome community thinks of it. I usually only write my own reviews when I know I have a lot to say about it, and I'm pretty satisfied with my Dawn Of Sorrow review.

Also you wrote a great review with lots of detail that really deserves to be the featured user review. Keep up the great reviews.