Fellow Vegetarians. Christmas. what did you eat?

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mortal_sb

the tradition in germany is to mostly eat fish or meatloaf with some potatoes and a couple of other side dishes. the christmas dinner is a meaty matter.

i'm a vegetarian myself and i wanted to ask the giant bomb vegetarian duders what they had for christmas dinner. maybe i'll get some inspiration for next year (or for some meals in general)

this year: polenta with two pieces of gluten based meatloaf, roasted and seasoned in a super fruity/winey sauce (cranberries, raisins, plums and other stuff).

No Caption Provided

recipes would be cool too.

for the rest: please don't hate or pull any vegetarians "you're eating the food of my food" jokes please. just broaden your horizon.

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By mortal_sb

anyone? ANYONE? :[

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By imsh_pl

I live in Poland and unless you count fish as meat I ate no meat during my christmas dinner.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By RIDEBIRD

I made quornballz or something of that sort. Red onion, minced quorn, cream cheese. Even the more stubborn and HAHAHA LOL VEGETARIANs really enjoyed them. Swedish julbord is mostly meat as well, but theres neat potatothings and plenty of other fatty carb stuff.

I should say I'm not vegetarian, I just primarily eat vegetarian/vegan. I ate a few meatballs and ham as well, but mainly the quornballs. They were really, really good!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Ravenlight

@mortal_sb said:

the tradition in germany is to mostly eat fish or meatloaf with some potatoes and a couple of other side dishes. the christmas dinner is a meaty matter.

i'm a vegetarian myself and i wanted to ask the giant bomb vegetarian duders what they had for christmas dinner. maybe i'll get some inspiration for next year (or for some meals in general)

this year: polenta with two pieces of gluten based meatloaf, roasted and seasoned in a super fruity/winey sauce (cranberries, raisins, plums and other stuff).

recipes would be cool too.

for the rest: please don't hate or pull any vegetarians "you're eating the food of my food" jokes please. just broaden your horizon.

Way to eschew traditional capitalization. :P

While not a vegan/tarian myself, my Christmas dinner consisted solely of black coffee, so I guess I'm allowed to participate.

Recipe:

1. Yo, get some black coffee

I got mine here.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Polenta is brilliant. Although I enjoy it most with wild boar..

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TobbRobb

Though I'm not a vegetarian, my food consisted mainly of eggs, herring and potatoes. Too that I had some eeeh... Hard to translate food that fit perfectly with the base food. There were meatballs and sausage, but I didn't feel like eating some.

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mortal_sb

@Ertard said:

I made quornballz or something of that sort. Red onion, minced quorn, cream cheese. Even the more stubborn and HAHAHA LOL VEGETARIANs really enjoyed them. Swedish julbord is mostly meat as well, but theres neat potatothings and plenty of other fatty carb stuff.

I should say I'm not vegetarian, I just primarily eat vegetarian/vegan. I ate a few meatballs and ham as well, but mainly the quornballs. They were really, really good!

seems yummy! got a recipe for them? we've got vegetarian swedish meatballs at our local super market, they're pretty great too.

@Ravenlight said:

I got mine here.

black blood of the earth = your christmas dinner was way more expensive then mine. :D

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I went out with my bow and arrow, and i put an arrow straight through the knee of a deer. I guess, it'd be fair to say that that deer used to walk around the forest, until it an arrow in the knee.

Anyway, Christmas arrives late in Serbia, what with the Julian calendar and all.

Amukasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Amukasa

As a aspiring Vegetarian I am wondering where you find your receipes? That looks pretty good!

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By matthias2437

Ham. Oh wait.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BrockNRolla

I enjoyed my vegetarian Christmas very much. My sister and I both are, so we've basically converted family meals into veg outs. Potatoes, deviled eggs, veggies and dig, breads, and home-made pizza. A bizarre mixture, I know, but delicious.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By bibamatt

Wow - that looks FANTASTIC!

We had red onion and goats cheese pastries with all the traditional UK Christmas dinner sides (yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, stuffing, veg etc).

Yum yum yuuuuuummmm.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Vinny_Says

You germans and your fancy shaped plates!

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mortal_sb

@Amukasa said:

As a aspiring Vegetarian I am wondering where you find your receipes? That looks pretty good!

depends. there are a lot of good vegetarian recipe books out there with some great ideas in them. also: searching recipe sites is always a good step to look for some neat stuff to eat. as far as recipes: only got them in german and that probably would not help you much. and why aspiring? just do it! :) two years ago i just said to myself: you don't need this anymore. bam. never even had the thought to go back to eating meat.

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mortal_sb

@bibamatt:goat cheese is THE BOMB.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dany

I had steamed veggies, rice, and some small potatos. That plus a few desserts.

My mom was going to make some lasagna without the meat but nope, that would have been tasty :(

@mortal_sb: Blue cheese is delicious

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Marcsman

Ham. No way do I do " rabbit food"

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gamefreak9

@mortal_sb said:

just broaden your horizon.

I'm pretty open minded to vegetarians... but this statement is just moronic... being a vegetarian is by definition NARROWING your horizons...

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mortal_sb

@gamefreak9 said:

@mortal_sb said:

I'm pretty open minded to vegetarians... but this statement is just moronic... being a vegetarian is by definition NARROWING your horizons...

depends on the horizon we're talking about. sure, i'm narrowing it by not eating all the crazy meat that's out there (that probably still tastes delicious), but i'm broadening it as a human by being aware of the fact that the meat business is fucked up and starting to look at food, vegetables and all sorts of crazy shit i would NEVER have tasted because i've always had the meat choice. most people tend to eat the things they like and don't even think about trying new things. i mean, just look what's on menues these days. it's all the same! i would've never eaten quinoa, plantain or sunchoke in a restaurant in my meat-eating days. now i have an interest in looking up food. it really changed a lot for me.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By SSully

I had a big slice of ham, turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casarol, and this awesome jello. Note: I am not a vegetarian.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jimbo

Tofurkey?

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gamefreak9

@mortal_sb said:

@gamefreak9 said:

@mortal_sb said:

depends on the horizon we're talking about. sure, i'm narrowing it by not eating all the crazy meat that's out there (that probably still tastes delicious), but i'm broadening it as a human by being aware of the fact that the meat business is fucked up and starting to look at food, vegetables and all sorts of crazy shit i would NEVER have tasted because i've always had the meat choice. most people tend to eat the things they like and don't even think about trying new things. i mean, just look what's on menues these days. it's all the same! i would've never eaten quinoa, plantain or sunchoke in a restaurant in my meat-eating days. now i have an interest in looking up food. it really changed a lot for me.

Um, so your insinuating that you know more about the meat business than I do...? or rather more than all meat eaters? The two aren't mutually exclusive... I have tasted all the things you've mentioned(i think) + things you would never taste, and I don't really know how much i know about the food business but I have seen all those biased documentaries people watch.

I agree that people usually just stick to what they know and don't explore new things, and setting limitations(vegetarian) is actually a way to go around that and experience unusual foods, but the fact is that if you posses the right frame of mind you will experience much much more(especially in this context of food).

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mortal_sb

@Jimbo said:

Tofurkey?

will never try that. urghs. looks horrid!

@gamefreak9 said:

Um, so your insinuating that you know more about the meat business than I do...? or rather more than all meat eaters? The two aren't mutually exclusive... I have tasted all the things you've mentioned(i think) + things you would never taste, and I don't really know how much i know about the food business but I have seen all those biased documentaries people watch.

no i don't. i'm just saying: the things i know about were enough for me to be a vegetarian. i love animals, i really do. and there was a point in my life where i wanted to change my eating habits. i'm not judging anyone who's eating meat, but i'd love to see some more "respect" for vegetarians. the documentaries aren't really biased. they're showing things most people don't want to see / want to deal with. meat is a product like soda for them. they just want to consume it and don't want to ask questions. the way we consume our food just isn't sustainable anymore. things need to change.

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mortal_sb

@SSully said:

I had a big slice of ham, turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casarol, and this awesome jello. Note: I am not a vegetarian.

had probably ate that too 3-4 years ago. at least some thick brown gravy? love me some gravy.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hitchenson

Not eating my body weight in pigs in blankets over the festive period would be the most insane thing ever.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Arbie

@Amukasa: vegweb.com (I think it's called) is one I use when bored and feel like looking at food I can't be bothered to cook!

I'm vegan and I had all the usual stuff apart from the Turkey! Oh and for dessert I don't think I had anything because I was stuffed! But I had made some delicious cherry buns which went down nicely the following day! Nom nom. =]

Amukasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Amukasa

Thanks! I feel like this is the start of a crazy adventure. After being a voracious carnivore all my life and thinging my vegan friends were nuts I realize I feel like shit and want to give this a shot. I'm trying to go vegan to raw vegan but we will see how it goes.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thegoldencat7

A load of Quorn nonsense.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By planetary

My wife and I have been vegetarians for 22 years, and our kids for all 7 of their years. This Christmas, we went to my mother-in-law's place for an Italian-themed Christmas. We had:

• minestrone
  • home-made focaccia
  • tortellini filled with smoked mozzarella
  • salad with apples, walnuts, cranberries
  • <one thing I can't quite remember>
  • cheese course, with gorgonzola and aged pecorino-romano
  • tiramisu, also home-made, with a touch of extra liquor, served with coffee

The omnivores in the house had an additional meat course, though I'm not sure what it was. All in all, pretty good!

sterbacblu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By sterbacblu

I had to work a double shift so all I had time for was a box of vegetarian chicken nuggets by Quorn. Also I got a free pack of animal crackers at work. At least I can say I get great benefits.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

I nibbled on the tree for a few hours.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dany

@planetary said:

My wife and I have been vegetarians for 22 years, and our kids for all 7 of their years. This Christmas, we went to my mother-in-law's place for an Italian-themed Christmas. We had:

• minestrone
  • home-made focaccia
  • tortellini filled with smoked mozzarella
  • salad with apples, walnuts, cranberries
  • <one thing I can't quite remember>
  • cheese course, with gorgonzola and aged pecorino-romano
  • tiramisu, also home-made, with a touch of extra liquor, served with coffee

The omnivores in the house had an additional meat course, though I'm not sure what it was. All in all, pretty good!

I want to be in your family. That all sounds soooo gooooood!

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

I had the same thing for Christmas that I had for Thanksgiving. Vegetarian Tacos.

Avatar image for mustachioeugene
mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By mustachioeugene

@Jimbo: did rotisserie tofurkey on the bbq, despite the incredibly cold weather at my parent's house.

@mortal_sb: Tofurkey can be great, when I do my rotisserie I make a sauce of orange juice, soy sauce, some paprika salt, pepper and garlic powder. As I cook them I apply the sauce which over time becomes a nice glaze, sweet, smokey and crispy. It's the best way to make tofurkey.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SSully

@mortal_sb said:

@SSully said:

had probably ate that too 3-4 years ago. at least some thick brown gravy? love me some gravy.

You bet! And I want to make it clear I am just messing around. I realize I could have easily come off as a dick there.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Milkman

@imsh_pl said:

I live in Poland and unless you count fish as meat I ate no meat during my christmas dinner.

Same here except I live in America, not Poland.

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

I ate meat, lots and lots of meat.

by which i mean ham...

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Dany

@Milkman said:

@imsh_pl said:

Same here except I live in America, not Poland.

No meat or poultry.

and no seafood (bad childhood memories.)

@Bam_D_Leprechaun: I don't miss eating meat...I mean, it is not like I gave up cigarettes.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GunnBjorn

@Amukasa:

Don't overdo it, my friend. Vegetarianism gives you plenty of dietary options (milk, eggs, etc.), whilst veganism is a bit extreme. If there's enough fresh fruit and raw vegetables (salads) in your food intake, going vegan isn't at all necessary.

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mortal_sb

@mustachioeugene said:

@mortal_sb: Tofurkey can be great, when I do my rotisserie I make a sauce of orange juice, soy sauce, some paprika salt, pepper and garlic powder. As I cook them I apply the sauce which over time becomes a nice glaze, sweet, smokey and crispy. It's the best way to make tofurkey.

sounds AMAZING. too bet you can't get tofurkey here in germany, otherwise i would've tried that too.

g6065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By g6065

A wonderful Cous Cous salad prepared by my wife.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#43  Edited By bibamatt

Been ill since boxing day and have barely eaten anything as I can't stomach it. But this thread is MAKING ME FUCKING HUNGRY!

Also, to the chap thinking of going Vegan, maybe just do the vegetarian thing for a bit first? Nothing stops you eating/drinking vegan stuff around your friends, but when you want a sandwich and can only find meat or cheese, you might start hating the whole thing. Baby steps!