First guitar question

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Hey Duders,

Im considering learning guitar and need some advice for a first guitar, being a huge Biffy Clyro fan im leaning towards this little beaut http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=09101010440319

Would this be ok for a first guitar?

Is it worth dropping another 100 to get a fender strat?

I came dangerously close to buying this over the weekend after having a few.... http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=13122413470032

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I would actually start with an acoustic guitar. Like a Spanish guitar with nylon strings. It's a bit easier to learn the chords on those then an electric guitar.
Also; a relative cheap electric guitar can be quite a bitch to get a good sound out of as a beginner.

But if you really want to start on electric, then get Rocksmith as well, a great learning tool! And it's currently the UbiSoft game with the highest fps ;)

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carryboy said:

Hey Duders,

Im considering learning guitar and need some advice for a first guitar, being a huge Biffy Clyro fan im leaning towards this little beaut http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=09101010440319

I came dangerously close to buying this over the weekend after having a few.... http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=13122413470032

For a first guitar I wouldn't pay that much. You might hate it. Honestly for a first guitar, buy a cheap second hand one or look at the starter kits. Buy it, play it for a year if you like it and then after a year if you still like playing treat yourself to a nice upgrade.

I wouldn't spend more than £120 on a start up guitar, which means a guitar and an amplifier. Get something like this but not that one because that's too much. You should be able to find a comparable new guitar starter pack for about £100-150. Or look in the buy and sell.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I got a nice Washburn X Series at a pawnshop for about 80 bucks to learn on (and it's not much more expensive new) about two years ago. It's not exactly a headliner guitar, but it's absolutely perfect for learning on. Good sound, looks and feels nice, keeps its tuning for awhile.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paying that much for just the electric guitar is a bit much. Consider that you will probably have to get an amp and since it's a squier... it's a major bitch to get good tones out of it without the help of pedals or a high quality amp (which you don't need yet if you're a beginner). Your best bet will probably be to look around any kind of stores that sell used guitars and combo it with an amp. For my first guitar I managed to get a Squier strat and a marshall 15 watt amp as a combo deal from a music store for about $200 all together.

One other thing to consider are the type of strings you're going to want to be learning on. All electric guitars are steel strings and will shred up your finger tips for the next month until you grow calluses. A cheaper alternative to an electric guitar and a less painful way of growing calluses is to get a nylon acoustic guitar. It may not sound as "cool" as an electric plugged in, but at least in my own experience, I found myself actually learning how to be a better player with an acoustic. Electric guitars aren't as picky about finger placement on the frets, especially when you are running distortion through so I picked up some bad habits from that. Luckily, I think I fixed that when I primarily started to play acoustics.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If you know you're serious about it, I wouldn't go for a dirt cheap option if you can afford not to. The Classic Vibe range are very highly regarded in terms of value for money, so I don't think you would regret the purchase. I learned on a Classic Vibe Telecaster and couldn't fault it, though I did end up putting a slightly wider neck on it in the end, which made it unrecognisably easier for me to play.

Acoustics are probably a little less forgiving than an electric (and therefore arguably better to learn on), but you can certainly learn fine on either. If you want to play electric then you should go for an electric by all means. If you're honest with yourself you will still be able to tell whether you're playing cleanly or not.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Learn on an acoustic, brother. You will benefit greatly in the future. Once you build up callouses on the acoustic you will be more than prepared for an electric. Plus, it's much easier to sound good on an electric and can prevent you from learning cords and progressions correctly. Cheap acoustic is way to go, nylon string if you want it to be less murder on your fingers.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still, while people often say that technically it's better to start on acoustic, people I trust have always said start with what you'll enjoy playing. If the kind of music you're into is AC/DC or Kiss, you're not going to enjoy practice nearly as much on an acoustic

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@belegorm said:

Still, while people often say that technically it's better to start on acoustic, people I trust have always said start with what you'll enjoy playing. If the kind of music you're into is AC/DC or Kiss, you're not going to enjoy practice nearly as much on an acoustic

This is super important but In my opinion it doesn't matter what kind of guitar you start on very much to begin with.

In which case, yes that would be a fantastic guitar to start on. No matter what guitar you decide to get, once gotten take it to someone who will set it up for you, getting the action how you want it and get some good strings on there and such. A music store should be able to help you out with that.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@carryboy said:

Hey Duders,

For a first guitar I wouldn't pay that much. You might hate it. Honestly for a first guitar, buy a cheap second hand one or look at the starter kits. Buy it, play it for a year if you like it and then after a year if you still like playing treat yourself to a nice upgrade.

I wouldn't spend more than £120 on a start up guitar, which means a guitar and an amplifier. Get something like this but not that one because that's too much. You should be able to find a comparable new guitar starter pack for about £100-150. Or look in the buy and sell.

As another aspiring guitarist, I'm also going with the idea of starting off with something on the lower end to practice on (specifically a Warlock One and a Rogue G10), and then get a more prestigious guitar and amp when I feel as though I'm good enough to get the most out of more expensive equipment.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TyCobb

You obviously have the money if you were considering $1,000 for a guitar (not including an amp) as your first one. Get a guitar for $300-$400 and a small amp for $150.

Unless things have changed with Squier over the past decade, they are nothing but trash. I would look at Ibanez or Schecter.

Take what I say with a grain of salt as I play bass, not guitar, but I have never heard anything positive about Squier guitars.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By CastroCasper

Some people have suggested getting a "starter" guitar or kit. However, those are usually pretty poorly made and uncomfortable to play. The guitar you chose is fine, but like other suggested, might be a little ~too~ pricey if you are not sure you will stick with it. A used Squier might be the best bet.

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I've been playing for about a year and some change. While I never got lessons and I'm not really dedicated enough to teach myself properly (therefor I kind of suck), I learned on an electric starter guitar. When that one broke, I bought another starter guitar. Yes, my fingers shredded up, but only for the first couple of weeks. If you can just endure it for that long -- and to be honest, it's not the most painful thing in the world -- then go for electric if that's what you want to play. But as people have been saying, paying that much when you're unsure if you'll stick with it is crazy. Starter guitars worked fine for me.

Also, Rocksmith is a fun way to practice.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of price point $300 isn't too bad of a margin like the first guitar you linked. My only issue with it starting out for you may be the lack in anything other than single coil pickups. I definitely don't reccomend going any cheaper though cause you'll just end up with a shit instrument with either faulty action or neck warping. As others have said also, follow your heart and Rocksmith is indeed fantastic.