Fox trying to buy Time Warner

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By huser

So apparently this might be a thing as reported on CNN.

Now the obvious thing is that the media mogul of Tomorrow Never Dies would no longer be a thinly disguised version of Murdoch. Dude would just about literally be that powerful if this goes through. And of course what to do with CNN in the hands of Fox. Those are much bigger, important things to worry about. But here's my question.

Anyone have any idea on how this would affect Fox's contract with Marvel? I would assume it wouldn't have any language in there specifically preventing it (because back in the 90's when it was made this whole scenario of Fox even making Xmen movies in 2014 likely was a longshot let alone this news) but it might involve rolling rights back to Marvel, maybe.

Bigger idea, layers of what ifs before it could even be a thing...would it be possible in a strange quirk of multimedia rights to crossover DC (which is owned by Time Warner) characters with the Xmen or Fantastic 4?

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Seems like something for the lawyers to iron out.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EXTomar

I don't believe you should be worried about the next X-Men movies. You should be worried about one of the largest news/media companies in the US is trying to own one of the largest content pipelines in the US.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@extomar said:

I don't believe you should be worried about the next X-Men movies. You should be worried about one of the largest news/media companies in the US is trying to own one of the largest content pipelines in the US.

Fox News' Monday Night Nitro

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@extomar said:

Y

e

s

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EXTomar

@corruptedevil said:
@extomar said:

The way news is going this way it is kind of like wrestling commentators. "How wrong is this guy? Man he is so wrong brother! HEY YOOOO!"

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

I definitely don't disagree. I picked that Bond flick for a reason. Obviously an overstatement of the risk in that, but it's not a trivial risk at all, certainly with the likely folding of CNN as a starting point and as you said the marshalling of Time Warner to push Murdoch's agendas. It's just my question was what popped into my head first.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@extomar said:

Meh, it's been done before.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

A lot of massive moves among billion dollar corporations recently. Time Warner is such a slut right now amiright?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

A lot of massive moves among billion dollar corporations recently. Time Warner is such a slut right now amiright?

Well, they did merge with AOL many years ago, only to drop them like a rock once they realized what they had bought into.

This deal isn't finalized, so there's not much to worry about (yet). But it does further cement my mental image of Murdoch as a power-mad old coot hellbent on controlling as much of the world as possible before his pact with the devil expires and he turns to dust.

graf1k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

According to the article they'd have to sell CNN before a merger could happen.

How does Murdoch have $80b?! I'm sure it's mostly stock and whatnot but still. News Corp itself is not even worth that last time I checked.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dalai said:

@extomar said:

Meh, it's been done before.

And look how well that went. It isn't so much something "nefarious" will happen (although wrestling style new coverage is an amusing thought) but that the merger to NBCUniversal seemed to leave us with the shell of its former self. It is basically an expensive change in business instead of a value add.