Games I can play with my dad?

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Feathered

I made a previous thread about games I could play with my mom, but now I'm living with my dad and once again am asking for some ideas.

Currently, he's into Battlefield 3 but he says he wants to play something else, since he "isn't good at it", as he tells me.

He also likes this game called Castle Siege, but he admits that it's a bad game? I don't know what he's doing. We used to play games like Age of Mythology and Age of Empires together, but he doesn't have as quick reflexes anymore so I don't want to try to get him into StarCraft II or anything, but he might give that a shot.

He wants a multiplayer game, something where we can work together I guess. He likes futuristic stuff and was also a fan of Anarchy Online, so I'm thinking about showing him Warframe, XCOM: Enemy Unknown etc.... maybe WildStar?

I just don't know. We're limited to the PC, otherwise I'd immediately buy a couple copies of Destiny, since I think that would be a pretty good fit, but who knows.

Are there any other games like this that might be what he's after? Feel free to suggest things that aren't purely in the MMO and/or MMO-FPS genre.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-COM might be a good one if he was into games before he might have played the original. I think your best bet would be to show him some stuff and see what he thinks.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Civ V and FarCry 4 might be fun for him?

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullpanda1: oo Civ 5 might be good, just not sure if he's into turn-based stuff or not. I'll at least show it to him.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mount Your Friends obv

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Serious answer: maybe he'd enjoy diablo 3/torchlight 2 or its ilk? Not sure how he'd feel about fantasy trappings but it's a good coop experience akin to an RTS.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish I could suggest more than what you thought... I keep thinking about it but my dad is about 55 now and his favorite game seems to be poker night at the inventory or poker night 2 which aren't multiplayer. Everything else he plays is commodore, amiga, and old PC stuff. Games are pretty subjective and I don't think liking one game immediately leads to liking a similar one especially for the older crowd.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't really know what to tell you. Show him gameplay of each one and see if he's interested.

Don't read the rest of this unless you're interested in my dad's gaming habits.

I honestly have trouble finding games my dad would like considering he's 52 and out of touch with videogames. For years we were really into shooters. We played the first 3 Halo games a ton. Every weekend me, my dad, my brother, and our friend Jeremy would play local multiplayer. Every few weeks we'd have a Halo LAN Party with tons of people. In 2008 we started playing other shooters as well, like Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, and Left 4 Dead. Literally every weekend we'd be playing local multiplayer in these games for like 10 hours in a row. It was ridiculous. Eventually Left 4 Dead 2 came out and we replaced 1 with that.

Then things changed. My brother decided to ask for Modern Warfare 2 for Christmas. It became the de facto game for us to play on weekends. Occasionally we'd play one of those other games, but it would only be for a couple matches then we'd hop back into MW2. I'm pretty sure all four of us reached the level cap. My brother and I played online quite a bit, but my dad wasn't into it. Fast forward to Christmas 2010, and we got Black Ops. We liked to just play against the bots instead of doing 2v2 or FFA. I didn't enjoy it as much as my dad seemed to, but I just liked spending time with him. After a couple weeks, he decided to try the online multiplayer. And he fell down the rabbit hole. He prestiged so many times and had everything unlocked. I was with him during the majority of his online play those days, even though I wasn't having that much fun. Later Modern Warfare 3 came out. I played less online multiplayer with him, while he played even more. He prestiged the max amount of times within 4 months. He reset his character to reset his KD ratio. He maxed everything again by the time Black Ops 2 came out . But we did start playing the horde mode quite a bit, and we'd switch up the teams every time since only 2 people could play on the same tv. Then Black Ops 2 came out, and I played even less online multiplayer with him. He of course prestiged a million times. However, me, my dad, and our friend got really into the DLC zombie maps. It was awesome learning all the tricks and features of each map. I was the leader because I was the best player and knew where everything was. My dad and friend would get lost easily so I had to guide them a lot. That was the last CoD game my dad really was into. Ghosts came out, and while he did play it for a couple months and unlocked everything, he eventually quit because the community was so annoying to talk to. He hasn't played CoD since March 2014, and honestly I'm happy that he kicked that addiction. Of course, he eventually found another game.

That game is State of Decay. He has probably played it for 1000+ hours. Most people play the game once and say that's a good game, then never touch it again. Meanwhile my dad plays like 5 hours every single day. I don't like the game, but I know I'm in the minority there. Still I don't understand how he can only play this one game that doesn't even have that much content. He got to Level 99 multiple times, and has completed hundreds of playthroughs. Now he's playing the Xbox One edition, which has some extra content. It also introduced some glitches like not being able to hurt zombies and one zombie that glitches and spawns so many zombies that the framerate drops to like 4fps. The only way he was able to solve the issue was to uninstall the game then reinstall. He's done this multiple times. I honestly hate that he is willing to put up with that kind of thing and wish he would play some other game. He watched some dude play Dying Light, so I'm considering buying that for him on Father's Day now that I have a job.

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Feathered

@maginnovision: Huh, I guess I never thought about that. I'll have to keep that in mind and just show him a bunch of things

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try the endless games, Endless legend, dungeon of the endless and endless space. Well three will require strategic movements and cab be played at your own pace. I've had single matches go from 4 -12 hours and usually shorter ones was us failing on floor 6 of dungeon. :p

Since the steam sale is coming I would advise waiting till then to save some money.

Also check out Risk of Rain it's an amazing game where you can have amazing fun.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nidhogg

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

One of the Borderlands games since you mentioned Destiny?