#1  Edited By endaround
nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By nukesniper

I liked Impulse, but it lost to Steam in the long run. I only have it for Sins of a Solar Empire, but now I have even more reason to avoid Impulse... Sad.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By blueduck

So every time I go to play something will it keep asking me to reserve a vaguely similar game?

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By DriveupLife

in b4 gamestop hate

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By scarace360

Well steam is still around 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jimbo

Wow, I'm sure their neat little Retail - Media - Digital circle isn't going to be abused at all.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Example1013
@DriveupLife said:
" in b4 gamestop hate "
Too late.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By crusader8463

Oh well. Maybe this means they will finally put Sins of a Solar Empire on Steam now. That was the only reason I have the stupid program installed.

mosdef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mosdef

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.  Actually that could be a great move.  Gamestop was forced to pretend steam didn't exist with their own weak ass download service.  I mean do you know anyone that ever used it?  This could give steam some competition.  Im in.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By zeforgotten
@blueduck said:
" So every time I go to play something will it keep asking me to reserve a vaguely similar game? "
Yup and before every cutscene there will be at least two ads for other games where it goes "If you liked this game you may also like: " and then show you two games that are not even close to the one you're currently playing. So it's just you sitting there and looking at the "cutscene will start in 0:45"-countdown
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iam3green
@mosdef said:
" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.  Actually that could be a great move.  Gamestop was forced to pretend steam didn't exist with their own weak ass download service.  I mean do you know anyone that ever used it?  This could give steam some competition.  Im in. "
nope, i never bought a digital game from them. i always thought that it linked to direct to drive when you bought something, because on gamestop site there are links to direct to drive. 

this seems kind of weird to do that. i guess gamestop wants to be more into digital stuff now. this won't be good, they will probably put in ads for gamestop or preordering stuff online.
mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By mzuckerm

I'm cautiously optimistic about this.  I have Impulse installed, but only for a handful of games that aren't available on Steam.  GameStop has the money to turn Impulse from a crappy version of Steam into a somewhat less crappy version of Steam.  And as long as Steam is still around, the worst possible outcome (GameStop completely ruins Impulse) isn't the worst thing in the world.

kmv_007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By kmv_007

I'm hopeful that this will turn out well for PC gamers.  I've had Impulse installed for awhile, and usually start it up a couple weekends a month to see what games are on sale.  I bought RF: Guerrilla and Demigod from them and wasn't upset with the service.  I prefer it to GFW's program, but that's not saying much.  If given a choice though I prefer Steam.

Best-case scenario: Gamestop can use it's clout with the publishers to secure more mainstream games, while continuing to offer indie games.  If they can offer discounts competitive to Steam, I'll keep checking them out.   They could rebrand it to Gamestop HyperAwesome DL Service, I wouldn't care, as long as it's good.  I love Steam, but I would love for it to have some competition to keep Valve on their A-game. 

Worst-case scenario: Gamestop lets Impulse rot, adds some draconian DRM scheme, limit downloads... Steam increases it's massive lead.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By ch13696

Just as long as I don't lose my games or they don't limit my downloads then I'm fine. I'm just glad that I bought the boxed copies of the Stardock games.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Animasta
@kmv_007 said:
" I'm hopeful that this will turn out well for PC gamers.  I've had Impulse installed for awhile, and usually start it up a couple weekends a month to see what games are on sale.  I bought RF: Guerrilla and Demigod from them and wasn't upset with the service.  I prefer it to GFW's program, but that's not saying much.  If given a choice though I prefer Steam.  Best-case scenario: Gamestop can use it's clout with the publishers to secure more mainstream games, while continuing to offer indie games.  If they can offer discounts competitive to Steam, I'll keep checking them out.   They could rebrand it to Gamestop HyperAwesome DL Service, I wouldn't care, as long as it's good.  I love Steam, but I would love for it to have some competition to keep Valve on their A-game.   Worst-case scenario: Gamestop lets Impulse rot, adds some draconian DRM scheme, limit downloads... Steam increases it's massive lead. "
I wouldn't say it increases that much. We still have gamersgate, doubt that's going anywhere anytime soon.
Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Great move for GameStop, kind of sad to lose an independent option for PC games.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By crusader8463
@kmv_007 said:

" I'm hopeful that this will turn out well for PC gamers.  I've had Impulse installed for awhile, and usually start it up a couple weekends a month to see what games are on sale.  I bought RF: Guerrilla and Demigod from them and wasn't upset with the service.  I prefer it to GFW's program, but that's not saying much.  If given a choice though I prefer Steam.  Best-case scenario: Gamestop can use it's clout with the publishers to secure more mainstream games, while continuing to offer indie games.  If they can offer discounts competitive to Steam, I'll keep checking them out.   They could rebrand it to Gamestop HyperAwesome DL Service, I wouldn't care, as long as it's good.  I love Steam, but I would love for it to have some competition to keep Valve on their A-game.   Worst-case scenario: Gamestop lets Impulse rot, adds some draconian DRM scheme, limit downloads... Steam increases it's massive lead. "

I foresee a much worse worst case scenario. One where EB Games uses it's clout with Publishers to demand they use impulse exclusively, or at the very least make them only release it on impulse for X weeks/months before they release it elsewhere. Then have them threaten to not advertise their games in store unless they do it, or to not buy a lot of stock of their games unless they play ball. 

Given their already established network of warehouses and shipping system, I could see them finally being the first Digital store to be able to offer to send you a boxed copy of any game you buy with their service. Obviously you would have to pay a bit more for shipping, but that's something big that they could do that Steam wouldn't. At least not without a lot of work and expense on Steams end. 

Time will tell. I know I will be keeping an eye out.
zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zameer

Are they gonna cut an exclusive deal with Brady Games and Prima Guides now? I can foresee them being a major player in the digital guide market and taking that from Steam.

mosdef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mosdef
@crusader8463 said:
" @kmv_007 said:

I foresee a much worse worst case scenario. One where EB Games uses it's clout with Publishers to demand they use impulse exclusively, or at the very least make them only release it on impulse for X weeks/months before they release it elsewhere. Then have them threaten to not advertise their games in store unless they do it, or to not buy a lot of stock of their games unless they play ball.  Given their already established network of warehouses and shipping system, I could see them finally being the first Digital store to be able to offer to send you a boxed copy of any game you buy with their service. Obviously you would have to pay a bit more for shipping, but that's something big that they could do that Steam wouldn't. At least not without a lot of work and expense on Steams end.  Time will tell. I know I will be keeping an eye out. "
I was just about to "Get HYPE" but now you've ruined it with your probable scenarios.
kmv_007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kmv_007
@crusader8463 said:
I foresee a much worse worst case scenario. One where EB Games uses it's clout with Publishers to demand they use impulse exclusively, or at the very least make them only release it on impulse for X weeks/months before they release it elsewhere. Then have them threaten to not advertise their games in store unless they do it, or to not buy a lot of stock of their games unless they play ball.  Given their already established network of warehouses and shipping system, I could see them finally being the first Digital store to be able to offer to send you a boxed copy of any game you buy with their service. Obviously you would have to pay a bit more for shipping, but that's something big that they could do that Steam wouldn't. At least not without a lot of work and expense on Steams end.  Time will tell. I know I will be keeping an eye out. "

I don't see that happening.  If Gamestop tried to make publishers use Impulse exclusively, they would be laughed out of the room.  Gamestop hardly stocks PC games anyway, so there's little lost there.  Gamestop could threaten to not stock new console games from publishers that don't play ball, but they like getting exclusive add-ons for new games, so they won't threaten publishers that way.  Gamestop doesn't sell as many new (console) games as Amazon, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. as well - their margins are in pre-owned games.   Basically, it would be bad for everyone if Gamestop tried to play hardball like that, but it would be worse for Gamestop. 

The boxed copy with a digital copy is interesting, but I think those are 2 different markets.  I like digital distribution because I DON'T have to have a box and disc laying around cluttering up my home.  Others like to have a physical copy as backup, or for the (very rare) booklets; there's also the market that doesn't have access to high-speed internet, and discs are there only option.  There is some overlap - those that like digital for its instant accessibility, but want a physical disc just in case - but that market is very small.  
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By crusader8463
@kmv_007: Time will tell, but I know that the company only cares about the bottom line, and they were one of the first to abandon the PC platform when the sales started to dip. So my faith in them sticking around is next to non-existent. That's something that is not good for a company that is asking me to buy a game that me being able to always have access to it depends on them always being around. If they abandoned PC before, what's to stop them from doing it in a few years time should this whole thing not do as well as they wanted it to, or if Steam does some crazy thing that makes all other services pointless? 

This can end really badly if it causes the PC market to split between two competing DRM services that require you to install their own proprietary programs to run too. So I hope they actually do do what the developers are asking and work together to agree on something, rather then splintering the market. That's the last thing PC needs. 

As for the bit about boxed copies not appealing to a lot of people, I disagree. Look at it this way: 

Some one who only buys boxed copies and doesn't trust Digital games.

• Instead of paying an extra $5-$15 for release day shipping, they pay an extra $5-$10 and they get a digital copy of their games as well as the boxed copy. This will allow them to pre-load their game so that the day it comes out it's ready to play in addition to receiving the boxed copy a few weeks later. It basically just makes the service a new online store to buy games from. 
  • They now get to play their game the day it comes out, and they still get their nice shiny box to keep on the shelf, and should something ever happen to it they get to still play the game. They never have to worry about a disc breaking or losing a CD key and not being able to play that game again.

This way basically takes the best parts of buying games in both formats and combines them to remove all the negatives each one has. You never have to worry about losing CD's/CD keys that is a worry for boxed copies, and you never have to worry about a service not being around any more and losing all of your games because you have the boxed copy too. Should you ever decide you don't want the clutter of boxed copies you could get rid of them all, and still have access to your games because they are linked to your online account.  

Plus, this could bring a used games market to PC gaming. If they work it properly, you could theoretically take your boxed copy into any EB Games and trade it in like a console game, and they would simply scan it into the computer and remove the game from your account since the bar code/CD key would be linked to your EB Games account you would have with them. They could then deposit the money directly into your Impusle account, and you could go home and use it to buy games and be playing them that after noon if they don't happen to have the game you want in stock at the store at that time. Then they could resell that used boxed copy in store, or cut the fee of buying a boxed copy online if you opt to buy a used copy.

This is just me thinking off the top of my head, and not the billion dollar company that must have rooms full of people thinking of things they can do with this stuff. If they approach this right and not just how to screw the customer out of the most money they can for as long as they can, then this could be a great new service.Or they could be greedy and make a shitty service that falls flat on it's ass in a few years time.  

As I said, only time will tell. I know I will be watching very closely.

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nemt

Note to self: cancel Sins of a Solar Empire purchasing plans.
Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Burzmali

Great. Gamestop ruined Kongregate and now they're going to ruin Impulse.