Getting a new phone, any recommendations ?

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I'v been planning on getting a new phone for awhile now and last night my old phone died so i figured this is as good a time as any.

I have been using an Android phone for about 3 years now so i was planning to get another one of those, the nexus 4 maybe, but i am not against apple products in any way. I don't really follow the smartphone business so i figured i'd get some opinions first from people who might have more experience with different kinds of phones.
You guys got any recommendations ?

plasticstars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't own one, but the HTC One looks phenomenal and was very enjoyable to use when I played around with a friend's a while back. Maybe take a look at that?

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The HTC One if an amazingly good phone and my only worries owning it is the current situation HTC in is at the moment. The HTC One was their Hail Mary of a phone to get business moving again and although it has been successful, HTC is still losing money quarter after quarter. I have no idea if this could possibly slow down the phone from getting updates or what happens if the phone needs to be sent in for repair but I guess that is a possibility.

The Galaxy S4 in my opinion is a nice phone but the features didn't really do much to make it better than the S3 and apparently if you like to root and tinker with your phone, Samsung hasn't been too helpful there.

I can't recommend going Apple if you have been in the Android ecosystem for 3 years. All the apps you purchased are gone, you have to find something similar and realistically, Apple has slowly been trying to catch up to Android's features with each OS update.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By tourgen

So this isn't a recommendation but you might be interested in checking out the phone coming from Jolla. They are the guts of what used to be Nokia. Elop (from Microsoft) came in and burned the place down. The talent left and formed a new company. They are releasing a new phone soon. It will run the Sailfish OS.

It's more of a portable Linux computer with a really awesome interface (Qt-based), a great screen, and an unlocked penta-band world phone radio - GSM and LTE. It's also super easy to write apps for with Qt, C++, and QML.

Only available for pre-order in Finland right now.

Oh, also full Android app compatibility if that matters to you.

I have a Nokia N9. I'm getting a Jolla as soon as it's available in my area!

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have the Nexus 4 and it's a great phone, but they've stopped selling them, the new one will be announced soon and some images have leaked, looks like LG will be making again. I'd hold out if you can, but it's tough being without a phone...

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By davidwitten22

iPhone has PvZ 2 homie so you have to get that.

Seriously though, I recommend the Samsung Galaxy.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

The Nexus 4 is $200-$250 in the U.S., isn't it? You can't really go wrong with that price.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I have the Nexus 4 and it's a great phone, but they've stopped selling them, the new one will be announced soon and some images have leaked, looks like LG will be making again. I'd hold out if you can, but it's tough being without a phone...

Had not heard of this, Do you know if there is going to be any substantial differences between them ?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By spraynardtatum

Don't get a phone maaaann, the government listens to everything! Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, Apple, Google, Microsoft! They're all in on it maaaaaannnnn. You're best bet is HAM.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@alexander said:

Had not heard of this, Do you know if there is going to be any substantial differences between them ?

Quad core 2ghz (or so) 1920*1080 5.something inch screen. 3gb of ram. An upgrade, for sure.

fatwonton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 just came out.