Giant Bomb staff, what is wrong with you?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Legion_

Okay, let me just start off by saying that I love these guys, and that's why I'm saying this.

Seriously, from what I hear about your diets, you should be dead already. I have some knowledge about training and nutrition, as I have a bachelor in athletics. And I'm pretty shocked to be honest.

Drive through, frozen food, TV dinners, sous vide, energy drinks and fast food seem to dominate your diets. Especially this holds true for Jeff and Dan. I'm not pointing fingers and saying you MUST do this and this, but my advice would be to rethink your diets.

I don't know if this is normal for the US, but I'm from Norway, and just the thought of that diet is shocking to me. Wouldn't you prefer to make your own nutritious meals? It really doesn't take that much time, and the time it does take is worth it. Are you really so busy that you can't treat yourself to a decent meal? If that's the case, you should think about clearing out parts of your schedule.

If you just get some good routines for making good, nutritious meals, I think you'd get a lot back. You'll feel less tired, sleep better, be less prone to disease, all which in turn will allow you to be more active.

A decent diet and some training is insanely important. It can't be stressed enough. A lot of you might scoff at what I'm saying, but it really is important to take care of your body. A healthy body is so clearly linked to a healthy mind, and it demands so little of you. Just a decent diet, and a minimum of physical activity.

What do you other guys think? Are you as worried as I am? I just want these guys to be healthy and happy, and keep it going for a long, long time.

Anyone who wants some advice on easy ways to keep a good diet and fit some training into your schedule, feel free to ask.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Aegon

It's kind of disconcerting when I look at people who eat mostly fast food and other junk that appear to be energetic / healthy, while I practically never eat fast food (some junk food though), and feel like I should be way healthier. I've been running / jogging the last few months, so maybe that'll help.

Not overweight or anything, but my endurance / strength feels like it needs to be increased and my heart (or at least that general area) hurts from time to time.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By wjb

Eh, I've come to accept that some of the guys are man-children when it comes to certain stuff. But like Jeff said, their schedule is slightly different from other people's jobs and don't get done until well after 6:00, so by the time they get home, it's late. (If I were in the same position, I would probably resort to low-calorie frozen entrees instead of fast food, but that's me.)

As far as the U.S., it depends. Not everyone lives this way, but it is America. We are known for our unhealthy diets.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Man I get where you coming from, but this topic has been made so many times over the years, and as much as you might want to help, just let them live their lives. If they want to eat drive through every day, fuck it, let them.

Not trying to be a dick, I care about the guys and would hate for anything to happen to any of them, it's just this has been mentioned soooooo many times.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think you can ascertain a complete view of the quality of the crew's diets based on the things they mention in videos and on the Podcast. What these guys eat are their personal choices regardless. Why expend mental energy worrying about something you have no hope of changing?

P.S. Sous vide is not inherently unhealthy. Perhaps if you were only using to cook red meat or something you could consider it unhealthy.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This post had me laughing my ass off for some reason. Not in a way which I'm making fun of you at all, I don't mean to offend.

It was just funny to see this topic title, open it up, and see it's a long post about the staff's diets. Heh, carry on.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By development

There was a thread like this for purely Ryan's sake a couple years back. Ryan saw the thread, and his reply was something very close to "no one is more cognizant of my weight than I am." I think the same applies for the other guys, in terms of their overall health. The question is how long they're going to wait to change, or if they realize how short their lives are going to be if they don't, and if they care.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@legion_ said:

Seriously, from what I hear about your diets, you should be dead already. I have some knowledge about training and nutrition, as I have a bachelor in athletics. And I'm pretty shocked to be honest.

I think this is your problem right here. Honestly, they don't eat much differently than most people in similar situations, but being someone who is invested in health it probably looks terrible.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

How the staff eats or doesn't eat is none of your business. It's great that you're concerned about them or whatever but they're not your friends.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jsnyder82

@aegon said:

Not overweight or anything, but my endurance / strength feels like it needs to be increased and my heart (or at least that general area) hurts from time to time.

Good lord, go see a doctor right away!

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@aegon said:

Good lord, go see a doctor right away!

For real, if your heart hurts then something might seriously be wrong.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#13  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

People's health and weight are their own business and no one else's. Locking this down.