Giant Phablet Android phones - you like yours?

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all,

Looking to replace my Nexus 4 with something new - I'll probably stick with Android. So, I gotta ask - Is there any real benefit to getting a giant phablet?

I don't really watch movies or play games on my phone, but it definitly seems like some the best new Android phone models coming out (like the new Nexus 6p), are all giant screened hulks.

What's the use for a screen thats 5.5 inches or larger? Seriously, before I lay down 500 or more dollars, I really want to know.

Thanks!

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have big hands so my phone feels pretty normal sized. its got a 5.6 inch screen. Its a Note Edge which is super gimmicky I wouldn't really reccomend it. I would just go for new google nexus if I were getting a phone now. Although the stylus is pretty neat for draw something but thats all I use it for.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You're right, pretty much all flagships these days are 5.5 or bigger. I don't think there's any benefits for the way I use my phone, having recently bought a new one. I actually do watch stuff on it when I'm in bed, choosing it over my 7 inch nexus tablet merely due to 450ppi being insane and honestly 5 inches is plenty big enough to even watch stuff like Dota on. 5 is also spot on for one handed use, anything bigger and I feel I would make too many errors or even drop it.

I kinda wish I was ok with 5.5 though cause it opens up so many more options. Also you totally don't need to spend 500 big ones on a phone, especially if you don't actually use it for anything powerful.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I have a One Plus One and just ordered the One Plus Two yesterday. I guess I was suckered into it because I like my One Plus One so much and the "Twos" are only available by invitation only. The ticket I signed up for at the "Two's" launch came through last night giving me 24 hours until the invitation expired to decide if I should buy one, or wait until whenever they become more widely available. They sell for $389 in the US and I think they are only available direct from the manufacturer. I just noticed though that there is a new "One Plus X" coming out - again on ticket allocation only that has not opened yet!

I too have big hands and my eyesight is starting to go so a big screen is really useful. The phone also does fit in my pockets ok. I play the occasional game, but can also type and do internet browsing stuff more easily than I could on my old 4" screened HTC. I guess the benefits and improvements of larger screens will only show themselves to you as and when you use such a phone.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5 Justin258  Online

I have a Note 4 and it's pretty great, I've had it for a year.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: It's what I'm getting next*. I have an S4 right now but have S-Pen envy and really wouldn't mind a bigger screen.

*waiting until I can find a used one at a decent price. I'm also one of the holdouts that still uses the SD card and has unlimited data...

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use an LG G3 and I like the big screen. It doesn't feel that big because the bezels are small and it fits my hand nicely. The big screen is nice if you browse a lot or watch youtube which when you're on the throne is nice.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By colourful_hippie

@believer258 said:

I have a Note 4 and it's pretty great, I've had it for a year.

Same here, although it's taking a backseat when I cracked the screen so now I use an iPhone 6 Plus which almost does the job but I do plan to send it in to get fixed soon. If I had to stick to Android again I would go Note 4...but I do like how the Nexus 6P turned out.

As for pro's on the big screen. Like others said having more screen real estate to enlarge text is nice and makes web browsing that much better. The Note series has the added benefit of coming with a stylus if you're into that sort of thing. Ever since having the HTC One M7 then M8, I've stuck to large screen phones like with the Note 4. When I switched back to iOS I had to make sure I had a Plus. It also helps that I have large hands

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: @alexw00d: @colourful_hippie:

Thanks all for the responses. I think my two main requirements for a new phone are:

Better camera

Better battery

But seriously, better camera. The Nexus 4 has been a great phone but, boy, is the shooter on this thing mediocre.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Devil240Z

The nexus I almost got was supposed to have a really good battery. I forget what it was called but it was on display at the verizon store.

The power saving mode in these note phones it's pretty neat.10+ days of standby time but it basically turns the phone into a dumb phone with chrome twitter and fb being the only apps you can use. But when I get off work after 10 hours on the battery I'll have 80%~ left on it.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a note 5 currently and I had a nexus 6 before. Sometimes I'll just take the lte iPad mini and use it instead.

I love large screens. I can't go back.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a OnePlus 2, which has a 5.5 inch screen. I went to it from a Nexus 5 so the increase in screen size wasn't too drastic but still noticeable. It felt pretty big at first, didn't help that I have fairly small hands, but I've quickly gotten used to it and really like having such a large screen to read comics on or read sites. I feel like I could go back to a 5 inch screen but anything smaller would feel too weird.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I have the LG G4, and I'm looking too get a LG V10. I might just wait until next year's V11.

Removable battery, micro sd, 5.7 inch.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bill_mcneal

I have the LG G4, and I'm looking too get a LG V10. I might just wait until next year's V11.

Removable battery, micro sd, 5.7 inch.

Yeah, those first two are becoming increasingly harder to find (and it bums me out). I may have abandon Samsung if they don't get their shit together. The Note 6 probably won't have the removable battery, but if they bring back the sd slot I'll just buy the damn phone.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@hoossy said:

@alexw00d:

Thanks all for the responses. I think my two main requirements for a new phone are:

Better camera

Better battery

But seriously, better camera. The Nexus 4 has been a great phone but, boy, is the shooter on this thing mediocre.

I think I'm lucky in that I found a phone that has a 2 day battery life unless I spend more than 2 hours a day watching stuff on it, which is like 3 times what I'd get our of my Nexus 5. But yeah the Nexus 5 had a pretty mediocre camera too. I'm sure the 6x will have a decent one though.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hoossy: bigger phones typically mean better battery and most of the new ones all have good cameras. The nexus 6P is great along with the Note 4 and up. HTC One M9 is only one with mediocre camera

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I had a Note 2 for 2 years and now I have had a Note 4 for a little over half a year and its the best, honestly holding other phones that have small screens feel like toys.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I've had a Nexus 4, that my wife is now using, a Nexus 5 (that broke) and a Galaxy S6. I would advice you to get a Nexus phone if you are used to having vanilla Android. My Nexus 5 felt faster despite being slower on paper than my S6. I would go for the new Nexus 5X maybe. 6 inches seem a bit bulky.

Avatar image for thelegendofmart
TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I have Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 5.5" and I wouldn't go back to a smaller phone.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagas: 6P is 5.7" I think. Nexus 6 was the only 6" phone in the Nexus line

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's not an android but I love my iP6plus, then again I can use it fairly comfortably 1 handed as I have weird hands.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I've a Nexus 5 (older model) and even it is slightly too big for my liking then again I think I prefer a smaller than larger phone.