#1 Posted by seanconnery13 (14 posts) -

So I was wondering if anyone is thinking about making a documentary about Giantbomb. If not then I am very interested in doing so. You could call it How to Build a Bomb ( yes I know about the original video series they did, just a working title). It could span the guys' childhoods and how they got into games, lead into the gamespot days and end with the hiring of Patrick and the future of the site and the guys. Just wanted to throw the idea out there. It might sound far-fetched to actually pull off, but I wanted to see what people thought.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (35849 posts) -

For some reason, these two conditions must be fulfilled:

• Soft guitar music
  • Wilford Brimley is narrating it.
#3 Posted by CornBREDX (4757 posts) -

I have envisioned such a thing but it would require unfettered access to the giant bomb dudes, their willingness to share more info then maybe we already (their feelings on stuff?) and require a lot of people giving a shit about the project. Maybe even funding. 

The better person to be in touch with would be the giant bomb guys and if they dont answer it's probably they don't want to do it.

#4 Posted by DeeGee (2113 posts) -

Giant Bomb is not Polygon. Let's keep it that way.

#5 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

What if they made fun of Polygon in the process? Like a mockumentary?

#6 Posted by gamefreak9 (2336 posts) -

Um are you qualified for it? how much do you know about the site and the dudes? Not to be discriminatory but you only have a few posts.

#7 Posted by gaminghooligan (1403 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

For some reason, these two conditions must be fulfilled:

• Soft guitar music
  • Wilford Brimley is narrating it.
#8 Posted by RazielCuts (2911 posts) -
#9 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3048 posts) -

I've had the idea, but I never gave it any serious consideration. As a film student and a frequenter of the site for a few years, I feel like I would probably be capable of doing it, but to make such a film would not only require full support by the whole crew but it would also take time (on both the filmmaker's part as well as the guys') and a decent amount of cash. You also have to think about what the documentary itself would be about. Just interviewing them, recording their lives, and giving backstory on them likely wouldn't make for a very interesting film to anyone outside the community or familiar with the guys. The best documentaries construct a narrative and an argument. I'm not convinced the guys has lives that are dramatic enough to warrant documentation, and they would probably agree (and they probably prefer it that way).

#10 Posted by theguy (796 posts) -

I hope you aren't serious.

#11 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -

I'm definitely interested in watching such. But making one? I doubt I'll do any good.

#12 Posted by SomethingClever (417 posts) -

Couldn't you use the hours and hours and hours of video and audio content that is already available to make one? Including using stuff from the Drive Home videos and such. Could be an interesting exercise anyway.

#13 Posted by NeVeRMoRe666 (268 posts) -

@RazielCuts: Ahaha I remember watching this when Giant Bomb was in its infancy stages. Brings back memories.

#14 Posted by joey (976 posts) -

Whoever makes it, make sure to put this video in:

#15 Posted by TyCobb (1944 posts) -

@gaminghooligan: Thanks... you made me open another damn tab in Chrome just so I could continue to browse GB and listen to that damn addictive tune. Also, acid flashbacks of the endurance runs. Jerk! =)

#16 Posted by pandorasbox (302 posts) -

Yes, we need another excuse for giantbomb to stop producing content.

#17 Posted by gaminghooligan (1403 posts) -

@TyCobb: just watched the Brad/Ryan ER. I have been whistling that damns song for the past three days. Hoping there's nothing in the Persona 4 ER that's as catchy or I might just slip into catchy tune mania.

#18 Posted by BonOrbitz (2138 posts) -

@joey said:

He may have been wrong about FF in Japan, but he got it right about Brutal Legend.

#19 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (527 posts) -

I think it could be interesting in the distant future. Has GB actually been around long enough to warrant a documentary? I don't really think so.

#20 Edited by kerse (2100 posts) -

Idk they've already put so much of that information out there. Doesn't seem all that necessary to me. If you can actually get access to them to make it well, it could be good though.

#21 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3770 posts) -

Hey dude if you could make it, I'd definitely watch it.

#22 Posted by 71Ranchero (2673 posts) -

I would watch it but Im not sure how it would differ from any other site content. Its not like they have hidden any of the behind the scenes stuff from us. The sites basically a reality show.

#23 Posted by EpicSteve (6470 posts) -

I can't imagine unless you get the greatest bullshitting editor in the world enough interesting events could be tied together to make a whole documentary.

#24 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5135 posts) -

Why? They have videos of almost all the big events that happened to the website.

#25 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

There is a lengthy and awesome documentary about Giant Bomb already. It's called www.giantbomb.com. Seriously though, the site documents itself in the most amazing way possible.

#26 Posted by ajamafalous (11823 posts) -
@RazielCuts said:
Goddamn I forgot how hilarious all of those fake Polygon videos were.
#27 Posted by EVO (3850 posts) -

I'd love to see a Giant Bomb/2 Player Productions doco a la the Double Fine Adventure making of.

#28 Posted by Pop (2595 posts) -

I don't think it's necessary cause we know how giant bomb was made we have video proof and podcasts.

#29 Posted by sirdesmond (1234 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

A fan-made documentary is entirely different than having your marketing company make one. Also, Polygon's whole thing was ridiculous because they weren't even a site yet, but Giant Bomb has a sizeable and established history. Almost all of the Giant Bomb guys are some of the most well respected members of the games "journalism" industry.

I'd watch it and love it if the makers were giving all the access they'd need to really make something great.

#30 Posted by h83r (468 posts) -

For the name of the documentary, how about "How They Built the Bomb". It's already been built, sooo....

#31 Posted by ChuckDeNomolos (69 posts) -

@joey said:

I don't care about the topic of this thread at all, but I now demand the man interviewing Jeff be brought onto the Giant Bomb crew. I'm not even joking, I need that man on the Bombcast.

#32 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

Your profile picture reminded me of this....   

The funniest thing ever
#33 Posted by HappyCheeze (89 posts) -

Kickstart it

#34 Edited by NegativeCero (2974 posts) -

I really don't know, but the guys don't seem like they would agree to sit down and share stories for a documentary. I don't see how it would turn out to be good if you didn't have them participate in it. Just my take.

#35 Posted by LandonRobinson (94 posts) -

I'm still actively thinking about it.