#1 Edited by Finstern (639 posts) -

Hello fellow duders! I attended a game jam last month and made a wind jammers clone in 8 hours! It is absolutely not perfect as I have never played the actual windjammers game, but I watched enough of the crew play it to get the basic idea.

The old windows build is available at http://shaneobrien.ie/gamejams/DGCDec13/WinterJammers.rar. It is two players only and requires two Xbox 360 controllers to play.

You can find the github project at https://github.com/ShaneOBrien/GiantBombers

The code is hastily written and far from my best work, I will be working on tidying everything up and adding more features as well as changing from 3D to proper Unity 2D. Feel free to fork the project and make any additions / changes and I'll try add them back into the project. All contributors will be made note of in the main directory on the project.

Let me know what you think =D

#2 Posted by endoworks (271 posts) -

Very nice, I will check this out when I get home from work!

#3 Posted by Thoseposers (779 posts) -

mind posting screenshots for those of us at work and unable to download?

#4 Edited by Finstern (639 posts) -

It's purely programmer art at the moment, partially because I made the game in its current state in 8 hours and mostly because I cannot art at all...

If someone wants to volunteer to make character sprites that'd be awesome =D

#6 Posted by TheMasterDS (2015 posts) -

I hope this appears on Unprofessional Friday at some point. I bet looking at a fan Windjammers clone that's super early could be fun.

I haven't played it and I won't be because I don't have folk to play it with but I'm curious, did you get in all the things with catching, throwing, special moves, charging, etc?

#7 Edited by Finstern (639 posts) -
@themasterds said:

I hope this appears on Unprofessional Friday at some point. I bet looking at a fan Windjammers clone that's super early could be fun.

I haven't played it and I won't be because I don't have folk to play it with but I'm curious, did you get in all the things with catching, throwing, special moves, charging, etc?

I have catching and throwing in, the speed of the disc is increased based on how fast you pressed the throw button, no special moves or charging yet. Throwing shouldn't be difficult at all, special moves will require some research but shouldn't be too hard.

Holy cow! That would be great to get full on sprites of the crew going!

#8 Posted by mrfluke (5088 posts) -

@finstern said:
@themasterds said:

I have catching and throwing in, the speed of the disc is increased based on how fast you pressed the throw button, no special moves or charging yet. Throwing shouldn't be difficult at all, special moves will require some research but shouldn't be too hard.

Holy cow! That would be great to get full on sprites of the crew going!

maybe @fobwashed can give you a hand with sprite work?

#9 Posted by Fobwashed (1895 posts) -

@mrfluke: As much as I'd love to, I've got way too much on my plate to invest the amount of time that'd be required to do this =[ This community is pretty damn talented. I'm sure someone else is available to step up to the challenge!

#10 Posted by rmanthorp (3872 posts) -
Moderator Online
#11 Edited by 2HeadedNinja (1539 posts) -

@mrfluke: As much as I'd love to, I've got way too much on my plate to invest the amount of time that'd be required to do this =[ This community is pretty damn talented. I'm sure someone else is available to step up to the challenge!

come on ... im sure you find a way to make your day like 5 hours longer! ;)

#12 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5205 posts) -

Are we finally on the cusp of a Giant Bomb themed game? That'd be my dream come true. I'd also like to say how much I love this community. So many talented and awesome people in one place. I really do hope things come together.

#13 Posted by ExiledAstronaut (111 posts) -

If you need some music for it i may be able to help out.

#14 Posted by Humanity (8800 posts) -

Are we finally on the cusp of a Giant Bomb themed game? That'd be my dream come true. I'd also like to say how much love this community. So many talented and awesome people in one place. I really do hope things come together.

To see the crew play a game of WindBombers, choosing themselves, even if it's a horribly broken mess - that would be magic.

#15 Edited by Finstern (639 posts) -
@humanity said:
@themanwithnoplan said:

Are we finally on the cusp of a Giant Bomb themed game? That'd be my dream come true. I'd also like to say how much love this community. So many talented and awesome people in one place. I really do hope things come together.

To see the crew play a game of WindBombers, choosing themselves, even if it's a horribly broken mess - that would be magic.

And we could finally get that dog to do something!

If you need some music for it i may be able to help out.

That would be great,

Would love to hear what you come up with, I'd imagine it would be the GB tune with a windjammers/ general neogeo remix.

#16 Posted by Rxanadu (503 posts) -

Holy crap! A "Let's Make a Game GB Project" that's actually working!? Sign me up!

I can code and make some simple 3D models in Blender if you need any.

#17 Edited by Finstern (639 posts) -

@rxanadu: Feel free to fork the project and see what you can/want to add! I'll probably be switching over to Unity 2D if we can get some 2D art, I only went with 3D initially because I knew what I was doing with it for the game jam.

#18 Posted by planetfunksquad (401 posts) -

@finstern said:

@rxanadu: Feel free to fork the project and see what you can/want to add! I'll probably be switching over to Unity 2D if we can get some 2D art, I only went with 3D initially because I knew what I was doing with it for the game jam.

Unity 2D as in 2D Toolkit, or some older version of Unity I'm not familiar with?

Also, you know Unity 4 has native 2d support now right?

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2013/08/28/unity-native-2d-tools/

#19 Edited by Finstern (639 posts) -

@planetfunksquad: Yeah, I'm talking about the new native 2D stuff, shouldn't take long at all, all the current scripts should work in theory as everything is already locked to a 2d plane. But I need to figure out colliders and physics which in Unity shouldn't be too difficult.

#20 Posted by Strife777 (1500 posts) -

Oh man, I really hope this turns into something good. A Giant Bomb themed Windjammers clone developed by the Giant Bomb community sounds really appealing.

#21 Edited by Finstern (639 posts) -

If anyone wants to try their hand at making 2D art, I managed to rip a scene and break it into layers in photoshop for reference, you can grab the scene here: http://www.shaneobrien.ie/prog/giantbombers/WindJammersArt.psd

I've blown it up to 1080p using the Nearest Neighbor resampling option so the art will look at least that good in engine at that resolution and should scale up/down pretty well.

#22 Edited by Rxanadu (503 posts) -

I've been going through the scripts and cleaning up the code, but I don't know what does what. I'm currently going through the PlayerController script, and I'm trying to make the code more portable. This includes placing repeated code in their own functions, reducing the size of other functions, placing comments where explanations are necessary, removing unused variables, and replacing hard-coded values with private variables.

For example in your diveClamp script, you have a lot of values for clamping where the player can dive(?). Speaking of which, I'm not quite sure what the sphere is used for in the game. I assumed it was the player's hand, but it didn't function that way when I was testing it out with my controller.

I also noticed the situation with the ball "disappearing" numerous times. This could be due to your constant use of collision detection rather than trigger detection. The "ball" is colliding with both the trigger on the player and the character controller when it's caught by the player. When that happens, Unity's built-in physics tend to go wonky, causing events such as the disappearing ball you commented on earlier.

#23 Posted by Fitzgerald (251 posts) -

I absolutely adore the sprite visuals. I'm a production artist by day but I've been wanting to get back into game-making... I could commit to 8 hours a week on UI art and sprites, if you need me. I would stick to the look and feel of the original game/the posted image above.

#24 Edited by ripelivejam (3524 posts) -

i want some real hideous poser-level models of the bombcrew STAT!

#26 Posted by Amafi (522 posts) -

i want some real hideous poser-level models of the bombcrew STAT!

Oh man, YES. Daz3D studio is free these days I believe.