• 127 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I thought it was great, it reminded me of Star Wars but instead of Luke heading the story, it was a Han Solo adventure. Although I came out of the theater feeling the movie was great and might be my personal favorite marvel film since Raimi spiderman 2(I need to rewatch Cap2, refresh my memory), I did feel it had some flaws.

For instance, how it throws the viewer into all this fictional worlds and makes it seem as if we should know what they are. It was very awkward at first, trying just to follow it's plot, not hard to do(obviously) but when thrown all these weird names for planets and races and just everything, it kinda just threw me off.

Finally the villain, he wasn't as great as the entirety of the film. He wasn't horrible, but his moments just feel rushed and never fully developed. I feel this is a common theme amongst comic villains, I can't recall a full comic bad guy that wasn't just half assed since the Joker in TDK.

Anyway, the movie was a blast and again it was, imo, a Star Wars Han Solo's adventure lol, it was just great fun.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By hatking

@thunderstorm101: I partially agree. My favorite parts of the film were when it wasn't taking itself too seriously, or was having fun being what it was. I guess my biggest problem with the villain was that it feels like such a holdover plot device from the other Disney/Marvel films. As a person who isn't familiar with these slightly lesser known comic characters, Ronan was interchangeable with the villain from Thor 2. The whole threat here just felt really samey because I feel like we've been seeing it in slightly different forms since The Avengers. I get that they're trying to build towards something with Thanos, but they're doing it in a kind of uninteresting way. Thankfully they're putting hooks in with his character (his daughters) that don't make him an entirely flat menace. It just concerns me that by the time we get to his arc - in Avengers 3? - that I'll be completely sick of the creepy smirk that says, "I'm gonna blow up your planet."

@thesoutherndandy: That's fair. And I'd be inclined to agree that the positives in this film outweigh the negatives, but I still think there's a lot of value in discussing all of it.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Yup, movie is pretty damn great. Really love how they went all out on what lost people would probably consider a risk. It had the Marvel logo but more resembles just a sci fi story rather than a superhero story like most would probably assume. Glad to see it's pretty much getting unanimous praise.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I talked a bunch of shit about this movie when it was announced, so I'm eating some crow when I say that I enjoyed it. It was like a less serious version of Star Wars, pretty cool. I don't feel like it added a whole lot to their cinematic universe, but personally I prefer it that way. I have to wonder if they'll have a place in the Avengers movie. It would be weird to see Rocket Raccoon fighting alongside Captain America.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It was good.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

They made the pretty black lady blue lady a green lady!

(She's the Avatar chick right?)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I really enjoyed it for all the jokes and light humor. Unlike everyone else Rocket was not my favorite character - a little too one note. I also completely forgot that Nebula was being played by Karen Gillan as she was unrecognizable under all that voice alteration and makeup.

Great action. Great effects and solid writing. The perfect summer movie. Iron Man could really learn something about pacing from this.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I talked a bunch of shit about this movie when it was announced, so I'm eating some crow when I say that I enjoyed it. It was like a less serious version of Star Wars, pretty cool. I don't feel like it added a whole lot to their cinematic universe, but personally I prefer it that way. I have to wonder if they'll have a place in the Avengers movie. It would be weird to see Rocket Raccoon fighting alongside Captain America.

This movie actually adds more to the cinematic universe then any of the other films combined. We are introduced to (among other things) the Kree, the Novas and the Celestials. We are also given more details about the infinity gems and Thanos (who is pretty much guaranteed to be the bad guy in Avengers 3).

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MarkWahlberg

It was good. Maybe not quite as hype-worthy as people are saying, but good. Kinda felt like Titan A.E. combined with Serenity.

I will grant that it has maaybe the best title splash page in quite a while. Gonna be a great gif.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#60  Edited By Kidavenger

I enjoyed it, silly action summer blockbuster that knew what it was and delivered without being stupid; Michael Bay should be strapped to a chair and forced to watch this movie 1000 times before he's allowed to make another movie.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Loved it! I didn't really have any expectations for it so it was a pleasant surprise.

@hatking said:

Like what even fucking happened to that blue, evil woman (Nebula, I think)? She was the closest thing they had to an interesting threat and I don't even remember her actually dying. She like jumped ship and hijacked that fighter, then took off? What? I assume they're keeping her for later on?

Technically speaking Thanos never witnessed her betraying him for Ronan so I assume she's gone back to Thanos where she'll appear by his side in Avengers 3.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw it again. Hasn't even been 24 hours since the first time. Still love it.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think Disney/Marvel have figured out the formula to create a movie that will always get 90% or higher on Rotten Tomatoes and make a billion dollars. We're going to have super hero movies from now until the end of time.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chiablo said:

I think Disney/Marvel have figured out the formula to create a movie that will always get 90% or higher on Rotten Tomatoes and make a billion dollars. We're going to have super hero movies from now until the end of time.

Hopefully all their Star Wars stuff will actually be good as well.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it, but it's no masterpiece. Hella fun though, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I love how they put Howard the Duck in the end credit scene.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024 said:

This movie actually adds more to the cinematic universe then any of the other films combined. We are introduced to (among other things) the Kree, the Novas and the Celestials. We are also given more details about the infinity gems and Thanos (who is pretty much guaranteed to be the bad guy in Avengers 3).

I suppose "added" was a bad word, what I meant was that it didn't "expand" on a whole lot. They introduced new stuff (like what you mentioned) but the stuff from the other movies was left pretty much alone (unless you count Thanos as a previously introduced element which I don't). There was no Nick Fury, no mention of other heroes, or anything like that. Whereas Iron Man 3 dealt with a lot of The Avengers fallout, and Winter Soldier had a lot to do with SHIELD. It was very much its own thing, which I liked.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@darthorange said:

@hunter5024 said:

I suppose "added" was a bad word, what I meant was that it didn't "expand" on a whole lot. They introduced new stuff (like what you mentioned) but the stuff from the other movies was left pretty much alone (unless you count Thanos as a previously introduced element which I don't). There was no Nick Fury, no mention of other heroes, or anything like that. Whereas Iron Man 3 dealt with a lot of The Avengers fallout, and Winter Soldier had a lot to do with SHIELD. It was very much its own thing, which I liked.

There was a lot of other stuff that made it clear they were in the same universe, like the Dark Elf from Thor 2 being in a cage, the Tesseract and the Ether. There wasn't mention of the Avengers, but then there wasn't any need to. Those dudes are small time. I liked how Ronan straight up murders The Other (before he even had the Infinity Gem) and if we remember back to The Avengers Loki was scarred of him. It was a great scene that helped sort out the hierarchy of the villains we have seen so far.

But yea, by and large it was self contained which allowed it to create it's own identity and it didn't lean on any of the previous films for support.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I also completely forgot that Nebula was being played by Karen Gillan as she was unrecognizable under all that voice alteration and makeup.

Holy cow, that was Amy Pond? Nice job by her.

Great movie, it really just flew by for me and I can't wait to see it again. Might check it out in 3D this time.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

I love how they put Howard the Duck in the end credit scene.

best part of the movie

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm hopefully going to see it early next week. Haven't looked forward to a movie so much in a while.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Fucking looooooooooved it. Only things that bothered me were I felt that some of Bautista and Saldona's delivery was a little meh. Not bad per se, but it just seemed to stand out in a negative way amongst all their other fellow actors. Lee Pace though...man. Maaaaaaaan. I wish he got more screen time because I think he easily just played the best villain in a Marvel movie so far. Chris Pratt and Bradley Cooper might have stolen the show when all is said and done, but he gave both of them a damn fine run for their money if you ask me.

All I want now is Nova to be in Guardians 2. I don't care how they do it, just get it done!

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed it, which is saying something because I've become so grossly cynical of these Marvel movies. It may be because I'm something of a sucker for sci-fi fantasy movies, but I found myself more able to look past the movie's many glaring issues.

It had an absolutely awful opening and possibly one of the cheesiest endings ever committed to film, but the pacing, visual design and action sequences were very well done. I didn't think any part of the movie was especially hilarious (and every now and again jokes failed miserably I'm looking at you dance-off and Footloose running gag) but I absolutely had a grin on my face when I wasn't rolling my eyes.

Still bums me out that these movies can't feature a cool female character almost entirely defined by their relationships to other men, but even more egregious than that is the never-ending trope of the unlikely heroes thrown together who initially don't get along and can't save the day until they realize they're a family and teamwork and YAY!

I'm just glad it wasn't another two and a half hour bore like the Avengers. More like this please Marvel, and maybe if possible move away from the assembly line story telling.

themattmercer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was the best Star Wars movie this year.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#75  Edited By sammo21

I've been reading GotG comics since I was a kid. Movie was amazing. So glad Marvel, once again, proved all the naysayers wrong. I can't count the number of people who were so sure it would flop and be a terrible movie.

Ronan was weak, but not that weak. He had his own motivations beyond just wanting to kill everyone or rule the world/galaxy/universe. There was even his turn later in the film. I really hope that he isn't dead however as there is great material there for a redemptive turn for Ronan in a future film, but its hard to tell. Wouldn't be hard to decide that he didn't.

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved it. it didn't hurt that I saw it in a theatre with less than 20 people in it and 5 of them we my friends lol.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@humanity said:

I really enjoyed it for all the jokes and light humor. Unlike everyone else Rocket was not my favorite character - a little too one note. I also completely forgot that Nebula was being played by Karen Gillan as she was unrecognizable under all that voice alteration and makeup.

Great action. Great effects and solid writing. The perfect summer movie. Iron Man could really learn something about pacing from this.

Groot> Every character in the movie :P

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we're overlooking one of the biggest heroes of the movie, Kevin Bacon.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

haha The Footloose synopsis in the middle of the movie killed me.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

I've been reading GotG comics since I was a kid. Movie was amazing. So glad Marvel, once again, proved all the naysayers wrong. I can't count the number of people who were so sure it would flop and be a terrible movie.

Ronan was weak, but not that weak. He had his own motivations beyond just wanting to kill everyone or rule the world/galaxy/universe. There was even his turn later in the film. I really hope that he isn't dead however as there is great material there for a redemptive turn for Ronan in a future film, but its hard to tell. Wouldn't be hard to decide that he didn't.

Can you remind me of his motivations? It's mentioned pretty quickly and only once and I can't for the life of me remember what he is seeking vengeance for.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@alkusanagi said:

haha The Footloose synopsis in the middle of the movie killed me.

In the middle of the battle when Gamora screams out "we're just like Kevin Bacon!" that was perfect comedic timing.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: It's so funny. I love it because it is so out of place in a scifi universe. Weird aliens fighting all over the galaxy and they're bonding around Footloose.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It was an enjoyable film, but had lot's of flaws.

Despite it's flaws, though, it was still pretty great. I loved seeing Rooker in a film again, too.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

Can you remind me of his motivations? It's mentioned pretty quickly and only once and I can't for the life of me remember what he is seeking vengeance for.

He was a zealot who lost both his father and his grandfather in the conflict before the peace treaty was signed. After seeing the movie again, I liked him a lot more. He's definitely the weakest part of the film, he could have used a little more filling out, but I enjoyed the character more the second time around.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#85  Edited By sammo21

@rockyraccoon37: He's a religious zealot and political fanatic. He believes in the old Kree ways which are not being represented by the current government and military. He is also further infuriated by the fact that the Kree have formed a treaty with the Xandarians opposed to overrunning them and killing or enslaving them all.

In the comics for the longest time Ronan was a bad guy but it was discovered he has basically went mad. Since his madness was cured he has become a hero to the Kree empire and helped save the universe many times, so I really hope he isn't dead and that he's given a redemptive arc in a future film of some time. Not to mention they kill Korath the Pursuer as well, so I really really hope Ronan isn't dead. Ronan doesn't like Thanos but considers him a means to an end for his own purposes.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Strife777

You motherfuckers (sorry) are making me angry! I want to see this movie so bad, but the usual theater I go to doesn't have it in english for some ungodly reason. I mean, of all movies, that one seems justifiable to have in both french and english.I speak french but I can't watch dubbed movies anymore, hate it. The next closest one would be 45 minutes away and I have a hard time justifying an hour and a half of driving just to see a movie.

Ughhh, screw you guys!

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#87  Edited By Entreri10

You motherfuckers (sorry) are making me angry! I want to see this movie so bad, but the usual theater I go to doesn't have it in english for some ungodly reason. I mean, of all movies, that one seems justifiable to have in both french and english.I speak french but I can't watch dubbed movies anymore, hate it. The next closest one would be 45 minutes away and I have a hard time justifying an hour and a half of driving just to see a movie.

Ughhh, screw you guys!

Just make a day trip out of it to justify the trip maybe if you have time off, see the movie, go to a nice diner, maybe shopping.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I'd give it about an 8. Enjoyed myself, but couldn't help but regret, in the movie's best parts, that it isn't possible to make a sci-fi space opera these days without tongue firmly lodged in cheek.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veektarius: I think that was strictly the tone this movie was going for (I assume the tone is based on the comics? I don't know, I never read these), but I don't think it's strictly any modern Sci Fi space opera. It was a small problem I had with this film too- it made some more serious moments feel forced. Only a minor complaint for me, though.

We'll see, though, when the new Star Wars hits if space opera still can work without gag setups all the time (I think it does).

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed it, which is saying something because I've become so grossly cynical of these Marvel movies. It may be because I'm something of a sucker for sci-fi fantasy movies, but I found myself more able to look past the movie's many glaring issues.

It had an absolutely awful opening and possibly one of the cheesiest endings ever committed to film, but the pacing, visual design and action sequences were very well done. I didn't think any part of the movie was especially hilarious (and every now and again jokes failed miserably I'm looking at you dance-off and Footloose running gag) but I absolutely had a grin on my face when I wasn't rolling my eyes.

Still bums me out that these movies can't feature a cool female character almost entirely defined by their relationships to other men, but even more egregious than that is the never-ending trope of the unlikely heroes thrown together who initially don't get along and can't save the day until they realize they're a family and teamwork and YAY!

I'm just glad it wasn't another two and a half hour bore like the Avengers. More like this please Marvel, and maybe if possible move away from the assembly line story telling.

So should I go see this? Cause I thought Avengers was boring and I'm kinda tired of the comic book movie formula, but I do love some good sci-fi.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@cornbredx: You're absolutely right that the tone was intentional, and yeah, I laughed plenty. If anything the comic (at least the few issues I read of it before giving up) took itself even less seriously than the movie, if you can imagine that. It's not really so much a problem I had with the movie itself. It's just that with there being so few real space operas out there, it was hard not to think during the serious parts (like the battle toward the end) that this is the closest we've gotten in years, and it would rather be a comedy.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By cornbredx

@veektarius: I agree, it sucks. For what it's worth this isn't a terrible one, though. We can hope they are (or will be) on the rise again.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#93  Edited By StarvingGamer

I'll come back later to gush about this movie but I just wanted to say: Yo, that fuckin title card!

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I thought it was the best Marvel movie by far, I really dug it.

Avatar image for synthesis_landale
synthesis_landale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've seen a few people squee about the title card, I must have missed it or paying attention enough to realize how great it was, but, um, what was so special about it?

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

A most excellent film, indeed. Exactly what I was hoping it would be, and James Gunn had his touch all over it. It has a perfect blend of comedy and action, and for the most part, it works very consistently. The sci-fi aspects of it made it more interesting for me than most other Marvel films, too. I'd say it's at least on par with Captain America 2. Just a hell of a ride from start to finish, and backed up by a great cast of characters that had true chemistry. Even Bautista played his part surprisingly well.

The post-credits scene was unexpected in the best way possible, too. I know it's wishful thinking but I hope it's an indicator of things to come.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By koolaid

@synthesis_landale said:

I've seen a few people squee about the title card, I must have missed it or paying attention enough to realize how great it was, but, um, what was so special about it?

I think it's just the way that it was timed to appear when Star Lord threw his hands in the air, like he was making it appear and it was just so big compared to him. It was cracking the fourth wall. That and the tone of the movie changed so suddenly that you could tell what it was all about.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds fan-fuckin-tastic.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#99  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

That movie was a Marvel movie but didn't feel like your typical marvel film and I can only sum it up as the magic of James Gunn. It had the comedic charm of the Avengers film and might be the best marvel film since the Avengers. I thought for the way Peter Quill was written in the film nobody could probably of pull it off better than Chris Pratt, Michael Rooker sighting was awesome, and I gotta say Batista was actually pretty good. The choice of music to set the scene was great and while I'm not a huge follower of Gunn's work I remember Lolipop Chainsaw also having a pretty decent selection of pop music of an era. I'm also going to bet in the future their will be a decent amount of raccoon attacks now since kids will probably think they are cool.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Great soundtrack