Guitar Decisions.

Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jerr

I would appreciate some advisement if anyone knows anything about ESP guitars or guitars in general. I am considering getting a good thrash/death metal guitar and I am torn between the JH 600 (Jeff Hanneman) or the KH 600 (Kirk Hammett). The only notable difference I can tell is KIrk's has 2 EMG 81 pickups, where as Jeff has 1 EMG 81 and 1 EMG 61. Which is the better config?
Thanks all knowlegdable internet!

Isaac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Isaac

I just starting to learn guitar so all that sounds like French to me.. Sorry I couldn't help.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Ben_H

If you're in that price range ($1000-$1300) why don't you just get get an LTD MH1000 or a Jackson SL3.  The thing with artist signatures is that you're really only paying for a specialty paint job and the name.  The only real difference from the MH1000 and the KH600 and the JH600 is it's lack of camo/special inlays(JH600) or cheesy skull and crossbones inlays(KH600).  It has an EMG 81's and85's as opposed to 81/81 and 81/61.  The Jackson has Semour Duncans which are different but you can get some pretty decent sounds out of them (I sure have).  What I recommend you do is check out the Ultimate Guitar forums and ask your question in the Electric Guitar forum(I personally don't go there anymore but you should be able to get some help).  I hope I helped you out a bit.  I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you do.  They're all good guitars.  Good Luck!

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Shawn

My friend recently bought an ESP, I played it and I just have to say. WOW, those babies are worth it. He got the Kirk Hammet one, I've never played the other one but I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed in either of them.

So my verdict is go with the Hammet, more pickups and just a general good feeling when you play. I guarantee you wont regret it.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ben_H

Yeah, from what I've heard, those KH's are solid guitars.  I still would recommend either an M1000, MH1000 or even an ESP M-II(if you're willing to pay about 200 bucks more).  M-II's are made in Japan (as opposed to Korea) and are much higher build quality than either the KH-600 or the JH-600. 
Here's some links to some guitars you can check out that are in that price range:
ESP M-II
LTD M-1000
LTD MH-1000
Jackson SL3
Jackson Phil Demmelition V
Jackson RR24
Jackson DKMG (Yes, I realize it's $400 cheaper, but it's a really solid guitar)
Ibanez RG 2550Z (You can just add EMG's with the money you save)

Well there's a list to start you off.  The key to purchasing a guitar is ALWAYS to try before you buy.  I've made that mistake and I will never do that again.  I also highly recommend you check out the Jackson Pro series bolt-ons.  I gave you a link to the one of the MG series.  The difference in the MG and Pro series is basically what pickups they have in them.  They are incredibly solid guitars.  I myself own one.  i actually prefer Semour Duncans (which are in the Pro series) to EMG's but it's all to do with taste.  Plus they're only like 700 bucks so you can mod the balls out of them with the money you save.  Good luck with your search!

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

I'm the wrong person to ask, because I think EMG's, Esp's and Ltd's sounds horrible. Just try until you find a guitar that you absolutely love.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ben_H
VilhelmNielsen said:
"I'm the wrong person to ask, because I think EMG's, Esp's and Ltd's sounds horrible. Just try until you find a guitar that you absolutely love."
I can't help but agree.  I don't mind ESP's guitars but I hate how they run things.  My main beef with ESP (and Dean, don't even get me started on Dean!) is that they sign all these artists to signature models so they have a bunch of what is essentially the same guitar with a special (usually ugly) paint job and they double the price.  Then all these kids think "Ooh, player from *fill in band here* plays *brand*, I should too so I can be just like them!" then they buy a cheap version of the sig model, be disappointed by the guitar, then quit playing or become frustrated because their cheap guitar constantly goes out of tune and feels like crap.  Like Vilhelm said, try stuff until you find something that you like, then buy.  Do research and DO NOT buy stuff because it looks nice(I can't emphasize this enough).  Look up reviews and find out things like build quality, reliability, tone, feel and things like that.  You'll end up much happier that way and it will make playing guitar an even better experience.  If you're into metal check out Jackson(they're the bomb!), Schecter, Ibanez, Peavey, B.C Rich(they're getting better apparently),  Washburn, Kramer(for that 80's stuff), Charvel(Their new USA Production model series is supposedly amazing), and ESP.  I refuse to recommend Dean because they're evil.  There you go.
Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jerr

haha popular post, thanks fellas, especially ben, Ill check those out, but keep in mind I am a huge fan of Hammett, so I'm going to be very biased lol.

Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jerr

btw, that esp m-II looks pretty good, similar to the kirk except with better construction, I would really still miss the skull and crossbones inlays, and the only difference i see is really the construction of it.

ILOVETHEENOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ILOVETHEENOT

Here's a guitar I recomend you check out because it's very good at doing everything, Scecther C-1 Hellraiser or C-1 Classic, I've played those guitars a few times and they played great, though they might not be for you because of the thick neck.

ILOVETHEENOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ILOVETHEENOT

Sweet! I'm trying to find the 7 string version of it but being a lefty makes it insanely tough to actually find the guitars I want >.<

Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jerr

Hmm, I'm kind of in the market for a Floyd Rose bridge, so those wouldnt really be relevant, thanks though

ILOVETHEENOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ILOVETHEENOT

um, the C-1s do have floyds on them :S

ILOVETHEENOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ILOVETHEENOT
Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jerr

not according to their website

BRIDGE:TonePros TOM w/ thru-body
Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ben_H

Haha, no problem.  Actually there is a C1 FR.  There is also a Hellraiser C1 FR which is set-neck instead of bolt-on.  I've played a few Schecters and they seem like nice guitars.  I do however find the necks to be thick (as compared to my superthin Jackson).  The thing with the M-II is that it's made in Japan (like all ESP's, including custom shop's) as opposed to Korea so it technically should have a much higher build quality and be made of higher quality materials.  As I said before, try stuff out until you find something you like.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Oni

I don't know about those specific guitars, but I generally advise against buying signature models because they cost more for what you can get for less without some dude's name on it or whatever.

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By calf_exercises

OK, i know almost nothing so my advice is get the one which looks cooler.

Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jerr

Yeah the M-II might be the favorite right now, some of those Jacksons look cool too. Ill go to the shop and see what they have.

Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jerr

That Jackson DKMG looks awesome too, and those pickups for that price is amazing. Fortunately my music store claims to own the full line of Jacksons and some esps so Ill get to check them out

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ben_H
Oni said:
"I don't know about those specific guitars, but I generally advise against buying signature models because they cost more for what you can get for less without some dude's name on it or whatever."
That's kinda the point I was trying to get across.  And yes, the DKMG is a great guitar.  Any of the MG and Pro series DK's are awesome.  I myself own a DK2 and I've yet to find a guitar with a more comfortable neck.
ILOVETHEENOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ILOVETHEENOT
Tallica9000 said:
"not according to their website
BRIDGE:TonePros TOM w/ thru-body
"

look at the link I posted above...
Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jerr

yeah sorry dude, didnt see your link. Thanks though

ILOVETHEENOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ILOVETHEENOT

not a problem! Check as many as possible out! I also highly recomend checking out the Epiphone Futura series too, it's basically an explorer w/ a slightly smaller body, EMG 81/85, floyd trem, grover tuners and high quality wood