Avatar image for propagandapanda
Propagandapanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Propagandapanda

I too saw @benpack fantastic gunpla making video! So i went and ordered my first HG Gunpla set.

I saw a lot of people in the chat doing the same thing. I thought it would be fun to make a thread to show off everyones first time gunpla makes!

Lets see those pics!!!!

Go luck to all of us on this new adventure!

Also want to point out the Gunpla Build club:

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic-31/giant-bombs-gunpla-build-club-1788969/

They have a beginner guide and everything!

Propagandapanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well here is the one i ordered:

Bandai Hobby HGUC 1/144 #210 RX-79[G] Ground Gundam Type "Gundam 08th MS Team"

by Amazon.com

Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079DM7P4G/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_r.-CEbJVJNY3B

thepullquotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thepullquotes

I ordered my first kit over Christmas and it was a Striker GN-X and it was revelatory that said I also enjoy Ikea builds. I never really had Lego kits with instructions and all my attempts at other model kits ended with my fingers stuck together and frustration

If you've a little one or a relative you think it might be a good fit for the Bearguy and the Haro kits (and the pokemon) are kid friendly, and somewhat cheap.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thepullquotes: The SD kits are good for kids too. They're "chibi deformed" versions of the bigger models.

MightyCarrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MightyCarrion

@propagandapanda: that was the first one I ordered too! Lots of fun to build with quite a few accessories too!

patbaer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By patbaer

Hi friends! Here's some thoughts!

Ben started with a 1/100 HG and I think that was the right call. 1/100s are bigger scale than 1/144s so you're working with bigger pieces. High Grade (HG) is a great starting place. There's also a line called Full Mechanics that's a bit more complicated that HG (the only FMs are from a show called Iron Blooded Orphans which is a great and sad Gundam series).

If you don't want to do stickers, skip em! Who cares!

If you're familiar with a show, buy a kit from that show! If not, just pick something you think is cool.

Snipper clips are the one tool you want, though you CAN get away with wire cutters if you need to. I also have an iFixIt kit because the spungers work great and having tweezers helps with sticker application.

I buy a lot kits from Amazon. Right now, look for amazon sellers near you, fulfilled by Amazon and expect it to take a while. Barnes and Noble is/was caring Gunpla. DBZ kits were in stock in GameStop as of the end of last year, not sure if they still are.

https://www.gundamplanet.com/ is a site I love, it also has a store in NJ. Lots of info on kits as well.

I'm not streaming Gunpla tonight (I'm finishing a Gogeta kit and then doing a LEGO set) but I often build Gunpla and will be starting one on Saturday and I'm always happy to answer questions in chat!

patbaer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

DeimosReign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...
No Caption Provided

Fellow lover of the Giantbomb and gunpla here. Here's a video from a really good kit reviewer/modeler for introductory Gunpla stuff including the different types of tools recommended and a second video which kinda gives you a quick look at reading the instructions and removing parts from runners. And here is a shot of my last build a MG Gundam Barbatos.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9 FinalDasa  Moderator

My biggest struggles with my first build from a year or so ago were the stickers and not knowing what kind of paints were best.

I attempting the stickers but couldn't quite place them very well.

Propagandapanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Propagandapanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Propagandapanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patbaer: I order the following for tools

Keadic 9Pcs Gundam Model Tools Kit Hobby Building Tools Craft Set for Basic Model Building, Repairing and Fixing

by ElecOnline

Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LB1T5D/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_KkcDEbS84VDBC

Is this a good start?

doombot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@propagandapanda: Ordered the same, hopefully that gives us everything we need.

And this kit to start with. It's 1/144 but I wanted to start with something small and cheap in case I suck hard at this.

Propagandapanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doombot13: That's a cool Gundam. I saw a samurai one that look cool too. There is alot of them.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@propagandapanda: that could be the astray red frame, or even more specifically the sengoku variety. https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/%E4%BE%8D%E3%83%8E%E5%BC%90_Sengoku_Astray_Gundam

Propagandapanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone got theirs yet? I had to change up the one i got.

richyhahn4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How are people getting there's? Amazon cant get one to me for over a month..

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richyhahn4: Do you have any comic shops around? That's how i've been getting my first couple of kits, though you might have a fairly limited window since a lot of them are closing down due to no more new comics being released.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had some on my wishlist for a while (Zaku 2, Char's Zaku 2, and RX 79 G) and finally ordered them. Spent a decent chunk of today (on and off) assembling the RX 79 G and it is now at the Kevin Nash stage: Fully built out upper body and no legs to speak of

No Caption Provided

Yes, I realize I am contributing nothing. But I thought that joke was funny