Has the ending to a film ever changed your opinion on that film?

• 155 results
sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

sgtsphynx  Moderator

Poll Has the ending to a film ever changed your opinion on that film? (219 votes)

Yes, in a negative way. 60%
Yes, in a positive way. 36%
No. 4%

Was reading one of my college texts for my film class and it mentioned Cloverfield. I was reminded that I enjoyed the vast majority of that film while watching it, but the last 10 or so minutes of it made me dislike the entire film. I have a friend who hates The Departed entirely because of the way it ends.

I actually can't think of a time when the opposite has happened for me, but I was wondering if this situation has happened for anyone else.

• 
Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There've been movies that have done both for me. There's something about The Terminator 3's ending that I really liked. Probably the fact that Connor couldn't stop the war no matter what. Also The Mist had a great ending. On the other hand, when a good movie flops at the very end can be really disappointing like the new X-men movie.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#152 fisk0  Moderator

@dimi3je said:

There've been movies that have done both for me. There's something about The Terminator 3's ending that I really liked. Probably the fact that Connor couldn't stop the war no matter what. Also The Mist had a great ending. On the other hand, when a good movie flops at the very end can be really disappointing like the new X-men movie.

Yup, the end of Terminator 3 makes it all worth it. Amazing end that reminds me of Dr Strangelove's likewise amazing ending.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched Edge of Tomorrow, it was better than I thought it would be until the end where it turned into 90% of all alien movies & then had a disney ending because American audiences? The ending of Dark Knight Rises seemed tacked on too in the same way (the happily ever after not the alien movie ending).

Looper had inconsistencies throughout the movie but I remember the end having some big ones.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#154  Edited By notnert427

@overnow said:

@notnert427: The rat thing just straight up doesn't matter to me. It's a rat in front of a golden church and there's symbolism there, but I don't really care about it one way or another. I loved the surprise elevator doors opening part and the [spoiler] abrupt 3 kills. It really looks like Leo is going to expose the corruption and get his life back then [/spoiler]

As for the Dignum part, throughout the whole movie he was a total dick to Costigan, never trusted him, and let his issues with Costigan keep him from showing up to the building where the elevator scene happened. I think it was a combination of that and Queenen being the only person he seemed to truly like that led him to [spoiler] killing Sullivan [/spoiler] Oh and also I think he was afraid that the feds [spoiler] would let Sullivan walk in exchange for info he had related to Costello's operations, Dignam expresses pretty intense mistrust of feds earlier in the film [/spoiler] but also it just wraps things up, it's this nice long movie that doesn't move particularly quickly, and then shit hits the fan and it goes batshit crazy right till the end and there's something about that that I love. That's the thing, not every ending has to be some big elaborat ending. This one just seemed like the perfect way to wrap up this clusterfuck of rats everywhere.

Thanks for that, truly. That's the best defense of the ending I've heard. However, we're still going to have to agree to disagree. I found the ending to be pure shock value, which to me is a complete cop-out. It felt like Scorcese didn't know how to end it with anything substantive, so he just said, "eh, let's just kill everybody". And Scorcese has since gone off the deep end with shock value crap like Wolf of Wall Street, but that's another topic.

I didn't need some happy ending or anything from The Departed, either. I thought the most befitting ending after the reveal that Costello was an FBI informant would have been for Costigan to shoot Sullivan just as he was about to kill Costello. Then Costigan tells Costello he's bringing him in because protection from the feds doesn't change what side of the law he's really on. Then have Costello kill Costigan and tell him something like "I'm on all sides, kid. Your mistake was picking one." Close with the rat scene, and roll credits.

I mean, Costello was pretty much the "king rat" who was painted in the whole film as an untouchable crime boss, so one could argue he should have survived. Or, hell, I would have even been okay with Costigan accepting the futility of trying to bring Costello down and putting a bullet in him. Just something with some sort of resolution, as opposed to the nonsensical headshots in rapid succession. I honestly wouldn't have been bothered so much if the vast majority of The Departed hadn't been excellent, but that ending was just so underwhelming to me.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

The Dark Knight Rises. I thought it was a great ending to the trilogy. Until the last 10 minutes. There was never a Robin named straight up Robin. And the Bruce Wayne/Selena Kyle resolution was (avoiding spoilers here) a huge cop out.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By EXTomar

To be honest, that happened with The Dark Knight and Batman Begins as well where they had an interesting movie that culminated into an ending that was "hmm?" Especially The Dark Knight the ending seems so arbitrary instead of designed or thought through.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

One that stands out in a positive way recently is Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones.

Negatively would definitely be No Country for Old Men.