Hey GBers, how do you keep valuables safe at college?

Avatar image for purple_proletarius
Purple_Proletarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm gonna be a freshman this semester and I plan on bringing some electronic valuables: laptop, DSLR, that kinda stuff. Nothing sentimental but a huge pain to replace. I have days off where I plan to go hiking and be away from my electronics for days at a time. I haven't met my roommates yet, and while I doubt they would steal from a person they're living with, there might be opportunities for others to nab my stuff. Just don't want to be paranoid that I can't roam around the state without my laptop and lenses, hope I find a solution.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SomeJerk

By not having them.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mnzy

Just tell me your room number. I'll keep an eye on it.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mesoian

Buy a safe.  Seriously. 

Also, cable ties. Most thieves in dorm rooms won't even bother if any sort of lock is involved because there will always be a ton more open dorm rooms that won't have them. 

Also, buy a secondary door bolt for your dorm door. If the building is old, the locks are easy to circumvent.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By vitor

@Purple_Proletarius: I have a large suitcase I use to take my clothes and stuff to college. It has a number lock on a key lock. Whenever I'm away for any amount of time, I just put my laptop and valuables in there, fill it with some sheets/covers for padding and extra weight and leave it where I put it initially.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RaikohBlade

Get security equipment for your laptop so that you can lock it down. That helps a lot. As for other things, try not to bring too many valuables. 

PaulRevere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By PaulRevere

Safe or a locked suitcase works. But it depends on how your room is set up... does it open straight into a hallway of other rooms or do you have a pod and/or suite situation? In a pod or suite, your stuff is (generally) safe depending on who's living with you. If you've just got a room that opens into a hallway, I would buy locks.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By crusader8463

Wish I could help, but I lived in my own place so I never had to deal with that. The only thing I would suggest is to not advertise that you have expensive stuff, and to not leave it laying around out in the open. Most thief's will just run into a room, take a quick look around and grab what they can see sitting out that looks expensive. So get a chest/clocker and keep a lock on it for the expensive stuff you don't use all the time, and when you leave the room hide your laptop under your bed sheets or something.

At the end of the day though, if someone wants to steal your stuff they are going to steal it. Nothing you can do about it. For the laptop at least, you can buy anti theft software so that if it gets stolen when they turn it on it can be tracked.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

Keep your dorm room locked. You'd be amazed how many people fail to follow that simple step.

MemphisSlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MemphisSlim

Depends on what kind of setup you have. If you've got an apartment with your own single room w/door lock (which you should always use, even if you just leave to use the restroom), I wouldn't worry unless your roommates seem really shady. Otherwise, bring only stuff you really think you'll need (or don't care about). Either use cable locks or bring your laptop with you. Buy a safe if you're paranoid. I'd advise against flaunting expensive goods as well.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zombie2011
@Purple_Proletarius: Buy a security cable for your laptop, most people use those freshman year, but i doubt your roommates will steal your shit. 
NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By NickL

Security cable for your laptop, become friends with your neighbors, if its anything like my dorm everyone will have their doors open while they are in their room so there isn't really much chance to steal and get away with it.

Edit: Someone will always see if doors are open. Hopefully you become friends with your roommates so that you don't have to worry about this kind of thing, I only took a couple of weeks before me and my roommate trusted eachother with our valuables

Avatar image for purple_proletarius
Purple_Proletarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Security cables sound like a good idea. I'm in a corridor with a door that locks automatically. I'm careful and don't anticipate forgetting to shut the door when I go out.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ChickenPants
@Hailinel said:

Keep your dorm room locked. You'd be amazed how many people fail to follow that simple step.

This. People still snigger at me for always locking the door to my room but I've heard far too many stories of people getting their stuff stolen during parties etc. to do otherwise.
m2thek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By m2thek

A physical lock for your laptop that you can tie around a desk or something is good. 

Keep your door locked when you're not in your room, and have an understanding with your roommates about that policy.  

In my 3 years I've never had anything stolen from me, but the opportunity definitely arises quite a lot. It only takes about 10 seconds for somebody to go in an empty room and grab something. Just be careful and you shouldn't have any problems. 

Good luck with school.
monstersnsoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By monstersnsoup

You will never use security cables if you take your laptop to class, its just too much of a pain. The best advice is to keep your door locked.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Vexxan

Set up fake security cameras everywhere!

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By korolev

Cable ties are a minimum - put cable ties on everything. Also, keep things in multiple containers, then tie down or lock those containers - most thieves are opportunistic and will only take what they can quickly grab. Also, lock all doors at all times. All windows too. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER tell friends that you've got something really valuable in your room - word spreads quickly and someone will try to take it if they can. Don't ever leave anything really expensive or flashy on your door - that's just painting a target sign on yourself.

You don't have to worry too much about your room-mates. It's rare for a room mate to steal something from a fellow room-mate, as they will immediately fall under suspicion.

I took the extra step of buying an engraver and engraving my name on absolutely everything, in a pretty prominent place. Most thieves steal to sell for cash, and just by putting your name on your stuff and your phone number, you will drastically cut the amount of buyers the thief can sell your stuff to.

And this might be hyper-paranoid - but if you have a separate room, consider putting a webcam connected to your laptop that streams the footage to Justin TV or some other streaming site. That way, if your room-mates try to steal anything, the camera will pick them up. Make sure to hide the camera carefully, and make sure the camera is in YOUR ROOM ONLY, since you don't want to invade other people's privacy.

Also, insure your stuff. So even if it does get stolen, it's no big loss. And back up your data to an off-site server or your home computer or to a USB you keep hidden. You can't insure your assignments.

If I come across as a little unhinged... it's because I am.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By artofwar420

Take ONLY the necessities. Also, back up your data often in case your laptop gets stolen. Data being one of the few things that can be irreplaceable, make sure you back up.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Dany

@Hailinel said:

This is really all you need. Talk to your roommate about what you both intend to bring and just remember to lock the doors if you aren't in the room.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iamjohn

Not living in a dorm helps.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Automated turret.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Renahzor

If you have a bike, make sure you get a *good* U lock or a manganese-steel chain and appropriate lock(Kryptonite locks are great), don't use a cable.  Spending a good bit on a lock for it is cheap insurance.  Also, don't forget to lock your quick release tires and seat, I had a bunch of friends get their bikes, wheels (or the wheel left and bike taken by locking it incorrectly), etc stolen by using the wrong type of locks or not being vigilant about locking them correctly.   This seems like a HUGE industry around college campuses, bike theft is very common.

Keep important data on a USB flash drive, or 3.  You don't want to lose a term paper to theft, it's bad enough when they take your shit but losing important data is insult to injury.  Offisite cloud storage is also a good option.   

Expensive electronics need to be well hidden, though if you're leaving them behind for days its probably a moderate risk no matter what you do.  Don't let on how much your shit is worth, don't brag about it etc.  Lock everything, and make sure your roomate does as well.  A simple cable lock for the laptop is a good idea too.