How do you deal with overprotective parents?

• 149 results
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By CL60

I'm pretty sure I'm not the bad guy in this situation, tell me if I am, and I will apologize to everybody involved! But I'm pretty sure I'm not.

Basically, I'm 20 years old. I bought my own car, I buy everything on my own, but I still live with my parents. I have a friend from Korea, and she's moving back to Seoul in about a month, and she wants to visit a place close to here(5 hour drive) it's an absolutely beautiful place to visit, but she doesn't have any way to get there. So I decided to take a couple of days off work and drive her down there for a couple of days. So I went and told my parents where why I'm not going to be home for the next couple of days, and instead of getting the reaction I expected, I was met with screams, and threats to take away my car that I paid for.

I don't even understand, they're usually incredibly nice and understanding parents.

Am I missing something here? Or is it just completely horrible to want to take my friend to a place she wants to visit before she leaves? How do I go about this? Do I just leave anyway or what? I have no idea how to go about this, they've never acted this way before.

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By rflx

Ask them why they're upset.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By probablytuna

From what you've described of your parents as being "usually incredibly nice and understanding" I don't see how they are overprotective.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CL60
@rflx
Ask them why they're upset.
They said "it's too far"
Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Akrid

Not really giving us too much to work with, but probably has something to do with the taking time off work part.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By sickVisionz

Well, are you a do boy for this chick? Are you regularly adjusting your life to meet her whims? If so, that could be a major reason why your parents are upset that you're taking off work to do what this girl wants you to.

Other than that, lol @ them taking a way a car that you own the title to. Do what you want to do, just understand that you live in their house and they can legally make life hell for you in ways that you could never do to them, at least legally. Personally though, 5 hours isn't "close to here". Are you at least boning this chick or something? Is she at least going to pay gas money and a meal for what will be a 10 hour trip both ways? A 10 hour drive at gas prices nearing $4 a gallon (at least where I live, which is probably cheaper than the rest of the country) with no payment or service in return seems a bit much. Just off of principle, my friends wouldn't take me up on an offer of a 10 hour trek if they couldn't throw in some gas money.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By EpicSteve

You're an adult and you payed for your car and you pay for your gas.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Hizang

@CL60: Just explain to them your a man now, your a phone call away and all of that crap.

In future tell them your staying at your friends for a few nights.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Icemo

I have no idea what your parents might be thinking. Your two day trip can't be the reason to your parents behavior, because if it is, there must be something wrong with your parents...

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CL60
@sickVisionz

Well, are you a do boy for this chick? Are you regularly adjusting your life to meet her whims? If so, that could be a major reason why your parents are upset that you're taking off work to do what this girl wants you to.

Other than that, lol @ them taking a way a car that you own the title to. Do what you want to do, just understand that you live in their house and they can legally make life hell for you in ways that you could never do to them, at least legally. Personally though, 5 hours isn't "close to here". Are you at least boning this chick or something? Is she at least going to pay gas money and a meal for what will be a 10 hour trip both ways? A 10 hour drive at gas prices nearing $4 a gallon (at least where I live, which is probably cheaper than the rest of the country) with no payment or service in return seems a bit much. Just off of principle, my friends wouldn't take me up on an offer of a 10 hour trek if they couldn't throw in some gas money.

No, this is the first thing I've ever done for her, usually Im working, but nobody will take her, 2 people have already cancelled on her, so I just offered.
irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By irrelevantjohn

I was in a similar situation but instead of just "it's too far" they said the main highway to get there was too dangerous to drive through for a 20yr old.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By musubi

Just go. You are an adult and have your own money and own your own car. I think it would be far worse to your friend to bail after she's already had others do the same.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Snail

Punch them to the face.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By imsh_pl

@CL60:

1. First of all, be calm when you're discussing it. If they start yelling at you tell them that there's no need for raising their voice and that you think you deserve the respect to talk about the matter in a calm manner, and that you don't need to be shouted at.
  2. Tell them why you think it's important to you.
  3. If all of their arguments boil down to 'we say so and that's it', ask them if they might be wrong. If they answer 'yes' then tell them that if they can't think of anything better than appealing to their authority then it's a strong indication that they don't have a real argument. If they say 'no' tell them how you feel with them straight up lying to you (they can be wrong, after all).
Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Alexandru

@CL60: m parents dont give a fuck,its my buisiness.

IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By IceColdGamer

Good luck taking away a car they don't own. That's called Theft.

phuzzybunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By phuzzybunny

I dealt with my overprotective mother by moving out.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CL60
@Demoskinos
Just go. You are an adult and have your own money and own your own car. I think it would be far worse to your friend to bail after she's already had others do the same.
Yeah, if my parents don't come around I'm just going to go probably, I'd rather them be fine with it though.

I don't know if she's joking or not, but she just texted me and said if I cancel like the other people she won't be able to trust canadians anymore, haha.
thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thebatmobile

Hey, you're an adult. Do whatever the hell you want.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hitchenson

Go anyway, you're an adult. Also, move out.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By foggel

You're going on this trip, and there's nothing they can do about it. When they start screaming it's because they raise the level of energy in the conversation. This is a technique used by many to get their way. The best way to retaliate to this is to not let the energy level of your voice raise to their level. That's their field, and they will win.

Keep calm, and explain why you want to go. By keeping calm they might get even more frustrated in an attempt to shake you up, but keep calm. Let them finish their sentences, and when they have nothing more to say... if it feels natural to reply, you do, if not, just say that you understand they are worried but you have made your choice.

Over time they will hopefully accept that you've grown up:)

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CL60
@Hitchenson

Go anyway, you're an adult. Also, move out.

I would love to move out, but I can't.
GreatMadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GreatMadness

My advice is put a stop to their crazy shenanigans now, or they'll think they can pull this shit for the rest of your life. You certainly don't want them behaving like children in front of your future wife or kids.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wjb

Do they know the girl? When I was younger, it wasn't so much the distance but the fact that they didn't feel comfortable with me going long distances with someone(s) they didn't know. They were uncomfortable, but they still let me do whatever.

Yeah, be calm and sell it in a way where you'll be okay. Even if you have to call every hour for updates or whatever, or show that you planned things out.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#25  Edited By pyromagnestir

@CL60 said:

@Demoskinos
Yeah, if my parents don't come around I'm just going to go probably, I'd rather them be fine with it though. I don't know if she's joking or not, but she just texted me and said if I cancel like the other people she won't be able to trust canadians anymore, haha.

She should never have trusted Canadians in the first place!

Tell your parents, in a non threatening way, that you are old enough to simply move out and not have to tell them about decisions such as this. Then after they kick you out, because no matter how non threatening you say it they will take it as a threat, do whatever the fuck you please. Do all the sex and and all the drugs and eat nothing but pizza and fruit roll ups! Because you're an adult, damnit!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#26  Edited By StarvingGamer

@CL60 said:

I don't know if she's joking or not, but she just texted me and said if I cancel like the other people she won't be able to trust canadians anymore, haha.

Ew, that sounds kinda guilt trippy manipulative. Then again I generally have the worst opinion about other people.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CL60
@StarvingGamer

@CL60 said:

Ew, that sounds kinda guilt trippy manipulative. Then again I generally have the worst opinion about other people.

Eh, I wanna go, she wouldn't really have to guilt trip me. I never told her about my parents at all, all she knows is that its 100% on. So I doubt it's a guilt trip.
Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

First I don't think they can take your car away (I hope it's registered under your name), but it really shouldn't come to that. You are 20 years old you are old enough to make those kind of decisions, just talk to your parents and try to work it our you don't want it to turn ugly.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By csl316

If nice parents go batshit for no reason, there's probably some other problem that's the root of it. Then they'll say nonsense and you can't fight it with logic.

I dunno, if you have vacation days to burn just go. Sounds like they just have to get over you not being a kid anymore. This will get them used to the idea.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Go anyway. Their threat to take your car is empty because it's your goddamn car.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AlexW00d

@sickVisionz: 4 dalla? Is that all? God damn.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Try convincing them you're mature enough to do this (reference your car, work, constant disappointment with MMO's (^^) ) and if that doesn't work...well just leave and prove them wrong. That's what I did.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#33  Edited By StarvingGamer

@CL60: Oh yeah, I'm not suggesting that you're being suckered in or anything. She's probably just hedging her bets since two other people already bailed on her.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#34  Edited By sjschmidt93

Disobey them and risk getting kicked out... or don't.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

Explain to them the girl is pregnant, it's your kid, and you're actually driving five hours to get married. See what happens.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By toowalrus
@IceColdGamer said:

Good luck taking away a car they don't own. That's called Theft.

Though if he's in the same situation that I am, and he's under his parents insurance (thanks, Obama), then they could threaten to have his name removed, then he'll be driving without insurance, which isn't just stupid, it's illegal. 

I feel for ya man, I know my parents wouldn't be cool with me leaving to 'live in sin' for a few days, but they're also aware that I'm a grown-ass man and can make my own decisions. I don't know what your parents are like- luckily, the traveling isn't an issue with my parents. A few months ago, I decided to drive to Detroit on my own to see a concert, left early to dick around in the city for a few hours, and crossed over into Canada to hang out at the Caesar's Palace in Windsor on a whim without a passport, and they were totally cool with it. Good luck. 
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BraveToaster

I would've left without informing them in the first place. Anyway, just save up your money and move out. Just wait til you get yo money right.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Tell them off. This is not a 'be understanding of their feelings' situation. Because they're not understanding of yours. Debating with them only gives them the sense that there is an argument to be had. You don't argue with children for the exact same reason. You're an adult and they don't have power of attorney over you. This is where they'll lean that.

I also agree with that other dude about not being a do boy for this girl. You might think that nice girls wouldn't use you; they will. They will use you for whatever you'll give. They'll take advantage of your interest and then make you the villain for it. If you want to drive 10 hours and see whatever, that's great. Do things because you would like to do them, not because someone else would like you to do them.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Scrawnto

When I told my parents I was moving to Wisconsin and I was going to drive the 2400 miles to get there, my parents were totally cool with that, even though the farthest I'd ever driven before was 200 miles, and I'd only had a driver's license for about eight months. I definitely don't have an overprotective-parent problem.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Subjugation

I dealt with overprotective parents by moving out.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#41  Edited By galiant

@CL60: You're an adult. Go anyway. They really have no say in the matter.

You should also move out, because then the "but you're living under OUR roof" argument will never work again (if they ever used that on you).

So why can't you move out?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Baillie

They're actually about to get divorced and were planning to tell you during the next couple of days.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CL60
@Brodehouse Don't worry, I'm not. I want to go as well. Ive never been to the place. Not to mention after the end of the month I probably won't see her again for years. So I don't want to just blow her off all the time. I'd like to spend some time with her.
Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sploder

lol I told my Mum that if I go to London University I'd be sure to let her know if I get stabbed by chavs

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CL60
@Galiant

@CL60: You're an adult. Go anyway. They really have no say in the matter.

You should also move out, because then the "but you're living under OUR roof" argument will never work again (if they ever used that on you).

So why can't you move out?

I can't move out because money. Decent apartments are expensive around here, and I would rather just live with my parents rather than live in some shitty cheap piece of shit.
DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DoctorWelch

Dude, do whatever the hell you want.

I would just leave anyway. They are adults, they should act like adults instead of screaming and acting like children. Do whatever you want and if they aren't going to be mature enough to talk to you about it calmly, then that's their problem.

@CL60 said:

she won't be able to trust canadians anymore, haha.

Also, never trust canadians.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#47  Edited By Phatmac

Don't just move out. Try to sort it out and be respective of their feelings. Don't be as rash as other people on here are telling you to be. Be considerate of their feelings and then move out if their is no other way to resolve this. Love your parents no matter what.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Funkydupe

Yeah, don't start a big fight over this. They are your parents, no matter how old you are. I say go on your trip, as that's what I would have done in similar situation. It'll be fine. They're programmed to worry about you.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By Justin258

If you own the car, then they can't legally take it *nudge*.

I would just leave anyway. Like, really, I'd hide anything you need to get there and back, and then leave anyway. Also, find some friends who also have jobs and are willing to share the rent of an apartment or something like that.

EDIT: Well, all right. I still say leave anyway, but do try to talk to them. If you continually try to talk to them and they continually freak out, then get the hell out of there.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DoctorWelch

@EvilNiGHTS said:

Explain to them the girl is pregnant, it's your kid, and you're actually driving five hours to get married. See what happens.

No, wait, actually do that.

Then, when they freak out even more, just say you're kidding. Then tell them they should be glad that's not what you're actually planning to do.