How do you like your 'everyday' coffee - not special occasions- your go to coffee

• 123 results
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Edited By monkeyking1969

Poll How do you like your 'everyday' coffee - not special occasions- your go to coffee (567 votes)

Drip methods 35%
Espresso methods 10%
French Press methods 14%
Moka Pot methods...nobody actually does this 3%
Percolator ...I'm so old I like it sludgy & burning hot 3%
....I like it served black 45%
....Some cream only 10%
..some sugar/sweetener only 5%
...cream & sugar like Flo the waitress gives ya (Dunkin Donuts/Tim Horton) 8%
...cream and a lot of sugar 1%
...I like artificial creamer 3%
...with some perk-me-up (i.e. booze - Bourbon, Whiskey, Rum, Bailey's, Sambuca, Kahlúa, Brandy, etc) 1%
...various aerated-foams for Cappuccinos and Latte 4%
Octane - Blond 1%
Octane - Light 3%
Octane - Medium 10%
Octane - Dark/Robust 10%
Octane - Turkish, Greek, etc 1%
Octane - Navy coffee...ist is good for stripping paint & removing rust from the hull 1%
I drink tea or hot chocolate....but that's another poll 13%
I want to see people's answers 11%

So, this is a big poll, please but choose from all the categories that apply to how you make/buy your cuppa joe.

• 
Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Drip coffee, black, quantity over quality.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My daily is cold brew brewed with a Toddy, usually 1:1 coffee concentrate/water and then a bit of milk.

if I want hot coffee I normally go for the Moka Pot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Drip coffee, a lot of sugar and instead of cream I have some milk in there.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Is Octane like Nitrous Oxide, or?.

Gevalia

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Free hotel samples. Literally the only coffee I consume.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pourover or French press, medium roast, black. I want it to taste good more than I want it to give me caffeine (though at this point I need the caffeine, too).

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Tiny bit of splenda and a 1/4 to a 1/3 of a cup of liquid creamer (French Vanilla or Hazlenut) I have a Keurig and end up using all types of flavors, strengths and blends.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Bold Drip coffee with a bit of Cream.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Tea and Hot Chocolate the only option that applies to me here. I'm not a daily Coffee drinker, but I will have a Tim Hortons Iced Capp every once in a while.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fear I am in a seemingly short group of people who doesn't drink coffee, and never will.

As a young child (maybe 3-5) I reached for what I thought was a cup of Coke-a-cola..and instead it was my grandfathers straight black no frills coffee. Before this I had had the experience if rinsing my mouth out with saltwater (for a valid non punishment reason but I forget what) and the coffee hit my taste receptors in the exact same way.

Now, as an adult. Coffee tastes to me like hot salt water. I reflexively spit it out, think its bad for me, think the smell is assoisated with something I am not suppose to consume and would only put in my mouth under dire need, and then expect to spit it out almost immediately. I can barely stand the smell, and the thought of drinking coffee black makes me slightly queasy to my stomach.

Totally psychosomatic on my part I have alway assumed, because if you people drinking your coffee black are actually drinking something that tastes like hot saltwater wtf is wrong with you..

Unrelated note, I've had a similar reaction to other foods over the years. I know I once ate/liked black-eyed peas, now the very smell of them is enough to induce near vomiting reactions in me. Not exaggerating for effect, that is legit the case. No idea when the switch occured but these days I avoid them like the plague.

So cheers to all you coffee drinkers. I'm stuck drinking soda (which is way worse for you) to get my fix.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

French pressed, with milk (or coffee whitener) and sugar.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladededge: I find with enough sugar and milk, the coffee actually tastes a bit like hot chocolate with a kick to it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#14  Edited By mike

The darkest, strongest coffee I can find. Black, no sugar. Sometimes I like coffee in the evening after dinner in which case I use heavy cream and a little sugar.

If you use half and half or milk or some other garbage like non-dairy creamer in your coffee, try living a little and using heavy whipping cream. It'll change your whole coffee world.

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I use a french press. Usually black. Sometimes with some cream, especially if I'm in a rush and need it to cool down a bit.

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

French roast in a french press, served black, and hot as i can stand.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I usually use an aero press, so I picked the french press method since its basically the same action, just don't ever be in a situation where you need to make two cups at once with that thing, oh boy.

I don't believe most people actually like "black coffee" more.

Like, i've found myself believing that at points, but I think it's just me trying to front as a stronger coffee fan than I am.

A drop of milk or cream makes the coffee so much more enjoyable. It cuts the acidity, cools it a touch and makes it less bitter so you can actually enjoy sipping it rather than feel like you're drinking straight grounds.

It's like people who say "Oh I only drink my vodka/rum/tequila straight." You might like people to think you do, but we all know that if you mixed it with something you'd have a much more enjoyable experience in the long term, it's just too harsh otherwise. Maybe I'm crazy.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By monetarydread

I like a good Ethiopian medium roast made through my aeropress and then served black. I really enjoy the flavour of this coffee because profile is like a combination of a tea and coffee.

If I am away from home I enjoy going to Tim Hortons and ordering an Extra Large Dark Roast Double Double with a Dome Lid.

lylebot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I take my coffee black, but I won't argue that it tastes better that way. At this point in my life, I drink it out of habit and to avoid withdrawal symptoms, not for the taste. And black = 0 calories.

On weekends I'll make a nice tall latte with my fancy new espresso machine. Weekend calories don't count. Someone told me that.

Eroq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually use a dark roast in an aeropress and drink it black.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn said:

I usually use an aero press, so I picked the french press method since its basically the same action, just don't ever be in a situation where you need to make two cups at once with that thing, oh boy.

I don't believe most people actually like "black coffee" more.

Like, i've found myself believing that at points, but I think it's just me trying to front as a stronger coffee fan than I am.

A drop of milk or cream makes the coffee so much more enjoyable. It cuts the acidity, cools it a touch and makes it less bitter so you can actually enjoy sipping it rather than feel like you're drinking straight grounds.

It's like people who say "Oh I only drink my vodka/rum/tequila straight." You might like people to think you do, but we all know that if you mixed it with something you'd have a much more enjoyable experience in the long term, it's just too harsh otherwise. Maybe I'm crazy.

You might be projecting your taste onto others just a little tiny itty bitty bit.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to do Splenda but now I can't stand it.

Drip, small bit of Stevia and a little half and half.

millionthlayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drip method with cream and sugar.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By triviaman09

instant

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

French Press, little cream, little sugar. If your 'everyday' coffee is putting some booze in it, you might have a problem.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

K-cup. Usually French Roast. Two Splendas and a very very small amount of whole milk.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I like my coffee straight black, just the quickest way to make it and get it inside of me. Dark roasts.

I used to do a ton of cream and sugar til I realized it was giving me a stomach ache every single day. Black was terrible at first but I grew to tolerate it. And then to enjoy it.

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black coffee, drip method, medium roast. From the looks of the polls, I'm actually surprised to be in the general majority. At least where I'm from (Midwest USA), people look at you weird when you order a black coffee and aren't at least 65.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aeropress during the week, pour-overs on the weekend. Almost always black, but I'll throw a dash of cream in if I want to fancy it up. Light to medium roast only, since anything darker destroys the flavor of the expensive coffee I buy, which I, like Tarantino's character in Pulp Fiction, buy because I like to taste it.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't usually drink coffee, but if I did I would probably put a lot of creamer and sugar in it.

Jovafy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love a good cup of coffee. I prefer drip/pour-over or a french press. Although, my smaller french press got busted some time ago and I haven't gotten around to getting a new one. So, it's been mostly pour-overs for me. I like drinking it black, and I think mixing something (milk, cream, sugar, whatever) just ruins the taste for me. As for the roast, I always buy light or medium because then you get more of the taste of the coffee and not the taste of the roast.

Lately I've been making a good amount of iced coffee and it's been great!

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By TopCat88

@bladededge: I have never enjoyed coffee of tea. I don't drink it, save for way too much nestea ice tea. But that's more soda than tea (barely any tea taste). I've recently cut that for health reasons too! I think my reason is hot drinks. I don't like hot chocolate, but love a cold one. I don't even like soup for the same reasons. My parents say I'll "grow up" one day, haha. I'm 29.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've actually been using a moka pot the last few weeks. It's coffee that's fairly similar to an espresso without needing an espresso machine. Add a bit of hot water to the result for something approximating an Americano, that's usually how I roll. Before that, I used an Aeropress consistently for about a year, and before that I made all my coffee in a Chemex. In the dark ages I had an actual coffee brewer.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Starbucks

Mage_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a boring person so I just add a little cream and sugar.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Folgers, made with my $20 drip coffee pot, black--sometimes cut with coconut oil, as I don't do dairy.

On the most recent Important If True podcast Nick Breckon recommended a coffee brand that will do monthly deliveries. It was like $20 or something for the amount I would consume. I might try that and see if I enjoy a better roast than just the cheap shit.

*Totally forgot 60% of my coffee drinking is at work which is Thomas Hammer K-cups. It's pretty good, better than Folgers, and I like to dip my Belvita breakfast cookies in them.

Avatar image for ultimategamer69
ultimategamer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I drink motel-quality bulk instant coffee and have an espresso machine for a nice cappuccino or flat white sometimes. Both are good in their own way

JordoST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a cafes old espresso machine and installed it in my kitchen specifically so I can make myself the best flat white I can every single morning.

pjgut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to go with a french press for a while but I've moved to a Moka Pot about two years ago and it's been pretty good. A friend of mine got a barista coffee machine this year and it's amazing but it just takes too much space (and money) for me to think about that kind of investment.

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Cagliostro88

While the espresso machines have gained some popularity in recent years, the Moka pot is present in literally every single household here in Italy. So i take great offense with your comment about it!! :D

(personally i don't drink it regularly, but when i do i usually just take an espresso black at a bar, it costs just around 1 euro everywhere here)

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

instant

Amen. Instant + a shitton of sugar.

BoringK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#44  Edited By BoringK

The way I make coffee at home is: I buy whole bean coffee, use a grinder to grind it up when I make some. I usually buy Private Selection (Kroger) or Eight O'Clock or Seattle's Best depending on what was on sale last. Not particular about flavor/blend, I like to mix it up and have something different every couple of weeks. According to the Mr. Coffee machine I use, I make 4-6 cups at a time although most of my mugs are large so it's more like 2-3 cups. I add 2% milk and one packet of cane sugar (large crystals, like Sugar in the Raw or something similar), although sometimes I'll leave out the sugar. I used to drink it black but that's hell on my stomach.

If you're in any way complicit with using K-Cups, you're going to hell, and not the fun, cool hell.

If you make instant coffee, you're already in hell.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Grind my beans every morning, smash that shit in a cafetiere (I think you Americans call them french presses) let it sit for a bit, then drink. Currently on a Ugandan arabica which I think I ordered as medium-dark.

Side point: holy shit do people really put cream in their coffee? Like, do you not like coffee but feel you need to drink it to be cool, or get caffeine or what? That's like this weird obsession of people to put cheese (usually disgusting non-cheese) to everything. "Got me some coffee, gotta add some fat to it".

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By btrdeadthanred

Cream isn't what you think it is. It's just like a heavy milk, not cream you cook with.

Americans don't put regular milk in coffee usually unless its frothed and heated, a la Starbucks.

I usually just use cream or half n half with some sugar and drip coffee, because I dont have time for cafe press BS anymore

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I use/buy a few methods: I buy drip from my local coffee roaster/cafe. I use Keurig at work, which is a drip variant. And, at home, I use a cheap French Press. I am solidly in the camp of cream and real sugar. I can drink it black, and the best coffee I ever had black was at a coffee shop in Jamaica. A real sketchy place, but they made a damn fine cup of coffee.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Americans don't put regular milk in coffee usually unless its frothed and heated, a la Starbucks.

That's a really weird thing to generalize, hah.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@btrdeadthanred said:

That's a really weird thing to generalize, hah.

hey, we're americans. what are we but a bunch of generalizations?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#50  Edited By TobbRobb

Drip, black and medium. I've inherited coffee taste by my parents go to, so I'm pretty much just addicted to one specific brand. But yeah, always black, I hate how milk tastes in it and sugar makes it taste a bit worse while also making that disgusting layer on your teeth. No thank you.

I don't know too much about blends or anything, but in general I prefer a little too strong rather than a little too weak, anything where you can taste the water is an immediate disappointment. I'm the same with most other drinks, so I gravitate generally to darker beer and stuff like that.