• 78 results
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Example1013
@dudeglove: It seems like everyone's repeating what I already said. And I'm not even a professional. Glad to know I'm so smart!
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#52  Edited By JJWeatherman
@badwhodo said:

" First off; never begin a sentence with 'and'. "

Starting a sentence with "And" is actually fine. 

Why did you use a semicolon there? Maybe you were being funny.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@JJWeatherman said:
" @badwhodo said:

" First off; never begin a sentence with 'and'. "

Starting a sentence with "And" is actually fine.  Why did you use a semicolon there? Maybe you were being funny. "
OH HERE WE GO. 

:-P
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Example1013
@JJWeatherman: I use semicolons where they don't belong sometimes in poetry. But that's a phrasing issue, and grammatical rules don't really apply to poetry. Then again, semicolons really kind of are used for phrasing in regular writing anyways, so...
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Example1013
@dudeglove: My mom actually told my friend this a couple of years ago when he said he was thinking of writing stories for comic books. So really she's the smart one (not that that's surprising, considering she has 3 degrees). 

The question is...what do you smoke?
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Still practicing my writing skill.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By sameeeeam

They're alright.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Poor.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Example1013
@dudeglove: I've heard pipes are messy to deal with, though. You'd think the older people with slower metabolisms would want less work. 

Then again, I guess old people do love their arcane, obsolete devices and practices, so...
Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By Omega

I think you mean "How well are your writing skills" ...wait. 

Also, ellipses are for pussies and anime. Real writers never pause. 

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Tru3_Blu3: One thing you have to note is the ability to see that something is over-written. If you can succinctly capture what you are trying to say, with fewer words, always aim for that. As it stands, your writing (at least on the grammer/punctuation front) seems pretty decent. 

Sometimes the mark of a decent writer is character, and often that comes down to breaking convention. 

E.g. @badwhodo: There are a multitude of places that beginning sentence with 'and' can add to the quality of the piece. Be careful, though, and err on the side of caution: over, and improper, use should be avoided.
swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#65  Edited By swamplord666

Although I don't think I'm especially good at writing, it astounds me how much better I am than a lot of people.  
My advice is to always write properly, even if you're not expected to (like when you're texting or writing on message boards). Also re-read everything you wrote. When something doesn't sound right or doesn't flow, there's probably a better way to write it. 

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#66  Edited By vager

I'm perfectly fine when writing a couple sentences, but I get really bad with grammar when it gets to be longer then a paragraph. 
Even if I reread my work 3+ times before I post it (which I always do), there's bound to be multiple grammatical errors in it. 

I'm a pretty bad speller too. Thank god spell check is the norm on browsers now.

Avatar image for michaelfossbakk
michaelfossbakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#67  Edited By michaelfossbakk

Nice thread here. :)

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68  Edited By dbz1995

their off da chain

niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By niall_sg1

Their are books written in 'text message' language. So as long as you can't write better than that, you're good. 

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#70  Edited By StarFoxA

I'm a fairly competent writer, due to reading a lot when I was younger (and a few other factors). Not only did this give me a healthy vocabulary, but I also learned a lot about sentence structure, grammar, spelling, etc. It helps that I have a fantastic memory, so I can remember writing rules fairly easily. Also, spending so much time on the internet, writing incessantly, has helped develop my writing somewhat.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#71  Edited By melcene
@Getz said:

" For make benefit glorious nation of Kazakhstan, I presume? "

I LOL'd. 

So here are the best tips I could give:  Read, a lot.  For personal enjoyment.  For some people, this can be a great help.  I attribute part of my own linguistic skills to this.  However, I have a friend who used to read a lot too, and his writing, including grammar and spelling, is unbelievably atrocious. 

School is a big thing.  It's about paying attention to the comment teachers give on your papers, or to the "rules" they teach in English classes.  For example, as someone pointed out right away - never begin a sentence with a conjunction (and, but, or) and never end a sentence with a preposition (with, for, from, which, in, of, etc). 

Finally, pick up a writer's reference guide like one of the ones below.   These help immensely when you have a question on grammar, sentence structure, or anything similar!  I own three.  Off the top of my head, the only one I could name is one by Diana Hacker.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#72  Edited By nintendoeats
Yo.

I kind of wish that we were having those types of problems today. Nonetheless, Orwell's essay is a classic take on how to write effectively. It is also quite short.

Beyond that, my advice is this: write often, and never think to yourself "I don't care if this sentence is any good or not." Forum posting is an excellent way to develop your writing abilities, but only if you take it seriously.
cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#73  Edited By cornbredx

I feel I am a pretty decent writer. Been writing since I was 7, so about 22 years now. Before you ask, no I have never been published.

Really the best way to get better at it requires you to keep doing it- in whatever form you want. The more you do it, the more you're inclined to fix you're mistakes. I often edit my own posts, for example, as I want to keep my grammar as good as possible.  I do the same when I write stories or whatever really.

I am not sure what  kind of writing you aspire to, but really the best writing comes from life experience (no matter what it is). No matter how good you write, if you have no passion for it, it will ultimately lose weight. I have often found my best work comes from things I know and have vast amounts of interest in. This helps with research and therefore helps with believability.

Next to that, your only concern should be with basic grammar. If people cannot understand what you're saying because you're not comfortable with writing understandably, then that is something to work on by reading other people's work to get a good grasp. It also helps to read over what you write several times to see if it makes sense to you when you read it. If you feel you're to involved and can't tell if you can trust your own mind, come back to it in a couple hours and read it again. If you can't understand what you are saying, no one else can either.

Once you get a good grasp on grammar  you can start playing with it, and developing your own rules. Stories are works of art in word and as such have the rules of the writer. If a scene calls for it you could write in a sort of grammar all your own. Some famous authors even made up their own words. It's really up to you as long as the tone remains consistent and you don't do such things out of the blue. If it remains within the rules of your story you really can write however you want.

Nowayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Nowayman

I'm pretty good... in french ! :P

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#75  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Well, I had to grade English papers in college once. And boy, let me tell you... some people don't know the first thing about writing. I'm practically Shakespeare, comparatively. 

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By GJSmitty

I consider myself okay when it comes to writing.  My advice, like many others, it to read a ton, and challenge yourself to read harder or more complicated books.  Also, practice tons.  Have people look over stuff you write for grammar mistakes, etc.  Eventually you'll start getting better and better.  Also if you want to fiction, work on describing absolutely everything in the scene, just to get used to describing well.

waitwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By waitwhat

your a fucking idiot.

badwhodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By badwhodo
@JJWeatherman: I thought he was trolling. I thought it would be funny.