How much do you like Firefly?

LittleBigJono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By LittleBigJono

Dunno if this is true or not, I might have even dreamed it but I swear I saw this somewhere. Maybe someone already posted something about this, if so my bad.
Anyways, apparently Nathan Fillion was like 'if I win the lottery I'll buy the rights to Firefly and get it running again' so a ton of fans are like trying to raise money or something to help him.
I believe there are like sites where you can donate and fund raising balls have been run.
I doubt this will work and hopes will probably be crushed because I'm sure a shitload of money is needed.
Despite this I thought I'd let you duders know about it anyway as I've seen a few fans of the show here and there on the site.
So... what would you do to resurrect Firefly? (Dunno if I used italics correctly here)

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ekajarmstro

I love Firefly so much, it's definitely in my top 5 TV shows of all time, at least. However, I thought the movie was pretty mediocre, so I don't know if resurrecting the series could ever make it live up to the original. Also, I don't care what anyone says, I think Nathan Fillion is awesome on Castle.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ryanwho

Dollhouse was pretty shitty and so were the Firefly comics. Also, the cast has moved onto other shit like Castle and Fillion's got "fat middle aged guy" face now. So maybe its better just being some posthumous thing that hipsters idolize. Bringing it back risks staining the legacy, like with Buffy. And Angel. And really, every Whedon show other than Firefly. Granted, a small small very small handful of Angel's last episodes were good but Spike is such a bitch character he ruins anything he touches.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HandsomeDead

Considering there's shows like The Wire, The Shield, Lights Out, Oz, The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, In Treatment, Rescue Me (Early seasons, anyway), Justified, Mad Men, Rubicon, Homicide: Life on the Street, Battlestar Galactica, Deadwood, John From Cincinnati, Sons of Anarchy, Damages, Treme and many, many more in the last decade alone, it makes me wonder how Firefly is in people's favourite shows of all time.

Fascism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fascism
@ryanwho said:
" Dollhouse was pretty shitty and so were the Firefly comics. Also, the cast has moved onto other shit like Castle and Fillion's got "fat middle aged guy" face now. So maybe its better just being some posthumous thing that hipsters idolize. Bringing it back risks staining the legacy, like with Buffy. And Angel. And really, every Whedon show other than Firefly. Granted, a small small very small handful of Angel's last episodes were good but Spike is such a bitch character he ruins anything he touches. "
Im sorry, I loved the last season of Angel.
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@ryanwho said:
" Dollhouse was pretty shitty and so were the Firefly comics. Also, the cast has moved onto other shit like Castle and Fillion's got "fat middle aged guy" face now. So maybe its better just being some posthumous thing that hipsters idolize. Bringing it back risks staining the legacy, like with Buffy. And Angel. And really, every Whedon show other than Firefly. Granted, a small small very small handful of Angel's last episodes were good but Spike is such a bitch character he ruins anything he touches. "
Finally someone else agrees.
Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nictel

I love Firefly, still I think it's been too long to resurrect it now. Because of how the movie went you would have to let it take place between the series and the movie or pretend the movie never happened. Still everyone has gotten older so that would be strange. Too bad that there were no billionaire fans of Firefly.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho
@Fascism said:
" @ryanwho said:
Im sorry, I loved the last season of Angel. "

You know what would have made that season work? If the blue demon god thing killed Spike as early in the season as possible.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Red

I don't think that Firefly is one of the best shows ever, but I do think that it is a great sci-fi series with some likable characters and a deep universe. I've accepted the loss, however.

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CountRockula

I like Firefly so much I've made a special pact with my best friend; if either one of us dies, the other will stage it to look like a suicide brought on by Firefly's cancellation.

LittleBigJono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LittleBigJono
@CountRockula: Damn, that's dedication
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead
@CountRockula said:
" I like Firefly so much I've made a special pact with my best friend; if either one of us dies, the other will stage it to look like a suicide brought on by Firefly's cancellation. "
Community fan, right?
Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By Chris2KLee

I enjoyed Serenity quite a bit, even though I have still have to finish watching the series.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By veektarius

I feel Firefly's quality is overestimated.  It had a lot of potential but the story never had the time to go anywhere.  I don't feel that, judging it only by what it actually was, it was that great a series. 

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@LittleBigJono said:
" Dunno if this is true or not, I might have even dreamed it but I swear I saw this somewhere. Maybe someone already posted something about this, if so my bad.
Anyways, apparently Nathan Fillion was like 'if I win the lottery I'll buy the rights to Firefly and get it running again' so a ton of fans are like trying to raise money or something to help him.
I believe there are like sites where you can donate and fund raising balls have been run.
I doubt this will work and hopes will probably be crushed because I'm sure a shitload of money is needed.
Despite this I thought I'd let you duders know about it anyway as I've seen a few fans of the show here and there on the site.
So... what would you do to resurrect Firefly? (Dunno if I used italics correctly here) "
He said that if he had some bullshit amount of money ($300 million) that he would drop everything to bring the show back but there is no official site that is dedicated too helping him buying it so if you see a site like that they are just taking peoples money for their love of the show.  Nathan Fillion only said it jokingly (although I think he would do it). 

I love Firefly but it ended nicely with Serenity.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EvilTwin

It's never going to happen, nor would I necessarily want it to.  Serenity resolved all the biggest things left open after the first (only) season ended.  Sure they could figure out a way to keep it going, but who knows how successful that would be.  I like the way it ended.  

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By csl316

I'm a big fan.  I'd like to see more.  But hoping for more seems like a useless exercise.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwho

Joss Whedon said he'd retcon the movie to "revive" characters and revise River's story if he could bring the show back. Kinda seems iffy to me. Honestly, why not just make movies? Futurama did like 5 DVD movies in a row or something, and that worked well for them. I think that would be a fun way to approach this IP.Skipping the movie theater isn't a stigma anymore. If they released movies like that, they'd be the number one watched stream on Netflix for weeks at a time.
HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HaltIamReptar
@Veektarius said:
" I feel Firefly's quality is overestimated.  It had a lot of potential but the story never had the time to go anywhere.  I don't feel that, judging it only by what it actually was, it was that great a series.  "
what

On topic:  I like Firefly from here to the Moon.  That's about it.

Also @ryanwho:  The comics were worse than shit.  There were like what would be created if shit could shit.
StealthRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By StealthRaptor

Whedon's great with characters and dialogue, but the man just can't handle a plot.

Why aren't you posting this on Screened?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not at all.  

I watched about half the episodes and just couldn't get into it. I really don't understand what's supposed to be so appealing about this show. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho
@Soapy86 said:
"Not at all.   I watched about half the episodes and just couldn't get into it. I really don't understand what's supposed to be so appealing about this show.  "

Every plant has been terraformed into the midwest so cowboy law could be evoked. Don't ask how a seemingly primitive future learned to terraform, just go with it. Joss Whedon wants to you ignore the exposition because the exposition only exists to set up the show, then he wants you to pay attention to every frame of the show.
 Its easier to digest when you're used to how Whedon rolls.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HaltIamReptar
@ryanwho said:
" @Soapy86 said:
"Not at all.   I watched about half the episodes and just couldn't get into it. I really don't understand what's supposed to be so appealing about this show.  "
Every plant has been terraformed into the midwest so cowboy law could be evoked. Don't ask how a seemingly primitive future learned to terraform, just go with it. Joss Whedon wants to you ignore the exposition because the exposition only exists to set up the show, then he wants you to pay attention to every frame of the show. Its easier to digest when you're used to how Whedon rolls. "
The planets were terraformed, but that's it.  The people who were sent to these planets to colonize it weren't given anything more than basic supplies.  They were just dropped off.  That's part of Nathan Fillion's beef; how shitty the Alliance treats people.
CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CountRockula
@HandsomeDead: Spot on!
Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah, I love Firefly and all, but keep it in the past.  Serenity and the various comics have tried to wrap up some of the bigger plot points, and there's just no need to ruin it by trying to bring it back.  It would have been great if they had made more episodes, but in retrospect it's good that they went out on a high note.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Andorski

Nathan Fillion's twitter:  
"It's beautiful to dream of more Firefly, but PLEASE DON'T SEND ANY MONEY. Just keep being great Browncoats, which you are!" 

Not sure how one would continue Firefly anyways.  **Spoilers** I'm not willing to see the continues adventures of Mal Reynolds with Wash and Shepard dead.

LightRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LightRain

10/10

The movie though...6/10

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Xeiphyer

He also said on twitter that he doesn't want anyone to send him money.

LightRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LightRain
@Andorski said:
" Nathan Fillion's twitter:  "It's beautiful to dream of more Firefly, but PLEASE DON'T SEND ANY MONEY. Just keep being great Browncoats, which you are!"  Not sure how one would continue Firefly anyways.  **Spoilers** I'm not willing to see the continues adventures of Mal Reynolds with Wash and Shepard dead. "
You know, there are spoiler tags, right?
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By McGhee

Patrick Rothfuss the writer of "The Name of the Wind", who also has his second book coming out in a couple weeks stated on his blog that if he made enough money from his next book he would contribute with Fillion to get Firefly back. Rothfuss is an enormous Joss Whedon and Firefly fan. It would be crazy to see a bunch of people come together and bring Firefly back.