How to Quit Smoking Pt. 22

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By singular

52 days have passed since my last cigarette. Since I'm writing this blog entry without much preparation and forethought it will be very brief. Gamingwise I'm trying to finish Starcraft: Insurrection which isn't really bad but doesn't come even close to the quality of the Blizzard campaigns. And if you decide to try them out be warned that the difficulty borders the land of frustration.  
The other Game i'm playing is Chrono Trigger. Although I'm playing this since about 5 month the game timer is at 28 hours. I reached the point where I have access to the flying time machine which I dubbed TRVLR and I'm planning to defeat the Queen inside the Dark Omen now. 
So there you have it. I have a feeling that this time I'll beat the hundred day mark of not smoking.
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By singular

52 days have passed since my last cigarette. Since I'm writing this blog entry without much preparation and forethought it will be very brief. Gamingwise I'm trying to finish Starcraft: Insurrection which isn't really bad but doesn't come even close to the quality of the Blizzard campaigns. And if you decide to try them out be warned that the difficulty borders the land of frustration.  
The other Game i'm playing is Chrono Trigger. Although I'm playing this since about 5 month the game timer is at 28 hours. I reached the point where I have access to the flying time machine which I dubbed TRVLR and I'm planning to defeat the Queen inside the Dark Omen now. 
So there you have it. I have a feeling that this time I'll beat the hundred day mark of not smoking.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Might as well say it now: if it takes this many parts to quit smoking, it's probably not working :P.

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By singular
@Video_Game_King:
Who knows. But I'm not giving up on trying. :D
TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By TerraDelu

I quit after 10 years of smoking 2 years ago, and very recently fell off the wagon for a few months. I have since quit again, but the desire to smoke will never disappear. Not a day goes by when I don't want to smoke. It sucks. The only thing that keeps me from starting up again (besides that it is terrible for you) is that here in Chicagoland, cigarettes are $10 a pack. Eff that shit. Anyhow, good luck and stick with it.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

I've been smoking for about half a year and don't really see myself stopping. It's not effecting my lungs terribly, and I can jog just fine. Of course, it'll get worse as the years pass by, but I'm pretty sure if it comes to that I can just give them up without any thought to it.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

I have heard nothing but tales of wonder and magic from vaporizers.

juanvaldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By juanvaldes

@SinGulaR - Dont listen to him. It took me 6 months to quit. Just keep pushing yourself day after day, if you slip up. Shurg it off and try to go longer next time. 

@JoyfullOFrockets - LOL. Quit while you still can.

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By singular
@TerraDelu: 
10$ a pack? That's effing expensive. Here they are 4 - 5 euro. You can go somewhat cheaper if you buy tobacco and roll them yourself. But who wants to do that? :D 

@juanvaldes:
That's exactly what I'm doing :) 
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By iam3green
@SinGulaR:  How does it feel knowing that you have money? in America it is ~$8-11 a pack of cigarettes. just think of the crazy people that smoke like 3 packs a day that's around $30. 

i don't smoke all that much. once in a while i'll have a cigar.
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DrPockets000
@JoyfullOFrockets said:

" I've been smoking for about half a year and don't really see myself stopping. It's not effecting my lungs terribly, and I can jog just fine. Of course, it'll get worse as the years pass by, but I'm pretty sure if it comes to that I can just give them up without any thought to it. "

That's what all smokers say.   

Here's a fun story: Nicotine, in its purely concentrated form, is a pesticide that is almost instantly lethal to anything with a central nervous system that inhales a concentrated dose (more than a few milligrams).  It's illegal in the U.S. as a pesticide.  That's what you're smoking.  Of course, it's not as bad in a cigarette, but think of the effects of inhaling that shit every day, possibly several times a day.  It accumulates and can eventually cause a shutdown. 

EDIT: I almost forgot, the guy who developed the patch figured out that nicotine could be absorbed through the skin when he was manipulating pure nicotine and spilled some on his arm.  It burned part of his skin right off (he had been working for a cigarette company).
ChristOnIce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ChristOnIce
@JoyfullOFrockets: 

You'll get a lot of shit for this comment, but it sounds reasonable.  Just keep jogging.  If you keep exercising, then the noticeable effect on your lungs stays relatively minor in most cases.  Granted, there's the whole cancer risk bit, but the immediate detriments aren't too hard to stave.  

The addiction is not as severe as people make it out to be.  It's actually really easy to get over.  What is more difficult is the habit and desire.  It's not that people need another fix so much as it is them just wanting a cigarette.  Combine this with the fact that one cigarette never matters, and it's easy to see that the difficulty has little to do with the chemical addiction.  It's a matter of choice. 
Scuzzy86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Scuzzy86

pack of cigs in Norway is normally about 15$, sometimes cheaper, minimum 12$. 
Pisses me off to hear Amercians cry about their prices, absolutely everything is more expensive here, a beer at the pub is 10$ for 0.4L. its insane. 
Wish i never started smoking, but i have planned a videoblog for when i quit, can see how that might help by telling others about it, makes you afraid of the shame for letting everyone down ;) 
Oh yeah and the prices in norway for cigs was doubled some years ago as a way to force people to quit, and they proudly showed stats that 14% less people smoked, but lots lots more people went broke because of it, hooray for freedom :-\

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Coombs
@JoyfullOFrockets said:
" I've been smoking for about half a year and don't really see myself stopping. It's not effecting my lungs terribly, and I can jog just fine. Of course, it'll get worse as the years pass by, but I'm pretty sure if it comes to that I can just give them up without any thought to it. "
lol 
Tell me that in 10 years 

Because 10 years ago I would have said that, 
But now I am struggling to quit (It's not working btw)
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By singular
@iam3green: What else can you buy for 30$? 
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iam3green
@SinGulaR said:
" @iam3green: What else can you buy for 30$?  "
there's a lot of things that you can buy for $30. i think a 24 pack of beer ( i only buy six pack), some liquor, a greatest hits video game, a couple of CD's. a lot of things you can buy for $30.
altbotdos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By altbotdos

One of the things that still keeps me from smoking, are the moments where I was strained for cash and I needed a weeks worth of smokes. 

I still painfully recall the countless times of frustrated bumming.

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By singular
@iam3green: 30$ for 24 beer? That sounds expensive. You can get a case of beer for about 10€ (that's twenty 0,5 liter bottles). 
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green
@SinGulaR said:
" @iam3green: 30$ for 24 beer? That sounds expensive. You can get a case of beer for about 10€ (that's twenty 0,5 liter bottles).  "
it's around there. i think it is more like ~$23ish also have to do deposits. 5 cents for every can  or bottle.
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By singular
@iam3green said:
" @SinGulaR said:
" @iam3green: 30$ for 24 beer? That sounds expensive. You can get a case of beer for about 10€ (that's twenty 0,5 liter bottles).  "
it's around there. i think it is more like ~$23ish also have to do deposits. 5 cents for every can  or bottle. "
That would be 8 eurocent for beer bottles. And 15 - 25 cents for other kinds of beverage bottles. I always thought foodstuffs were way cheaper in the states than in Germany. 
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By one_2nd
@SinGulaR said:
" @TerraDelu: 10$ a pack? That's effing expensive. Here they are 4 - 5 euro. You can go somewhat cheaper if you buy tobacco and roll them yourself. But who wants to do that? :D  @juanvaldes: That's exactly what I'm doing :)  "
In nyc it's even more expensive. I paid $3 for a white owl today. They're like $1.50-$2 everywhere else..
Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Teoball

I smoked for about 14 years. When I started to cough up phlem every morning I decided it was time to quit. I quit cold turkey over a year ago and for some reason I had no problem with that at all.

Sure, I still crave cigs once in a while but quitting was one of the most easy things I've ever done. No idea why.
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By singular
@one_2nd said:
" @SinGulaR said:
" @TerraDelu: 10$ a pack? That's effing expensive. Here they are 4 - 5 euro. You can go somewhat cheaper if you buy tobacco and roll them yourself. But who wants to do that? :D  @juanvaldes: That's exactly what I'm doing :)  "
In nyc it's even more expensive. I paid $3 for a white owl today. They're like $1.50-$2 everywhere else.. "
Sorry, but what is a White Owl? A cigar?
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By one_2nd
@SinGulaR: Yeah it's a flavored blunt. 
fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fattony12000

Just take a visit to flavour country and you'l forget all about your woes.