Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By Sergio

My dog, Saga, turned 10 on Saturday.

No Caption Provided

The Thursday before that, I found a lump on her shoulder that wasn't noticeable earlier in the week. She had been limping intermittently, and I had been checking her paws and legs to try to find the cause.

On Friday, her veterinarian scared me with the prognosis of possible bone cancer being 4 months. I breathed a sigh of relief when the x-rays showed that it wasn't the bone, but he was convinced she would need surgery, with the likelihood of amputation. We left with some pain meds and a referral to an emergency care vet.

On Monday, we saw a surgeon at the clinic he referred us to. The surgeon took more x-rays and a biopsy to determine what kind of cancer it was (if it was) to know how to proceed further. Any surgery would have to be put off until at least Thursday, if they got the results back early.

Tuesday morning, Saga passed away, and I'm left wishing I had those 4 months now.

Everything happened too fast.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OfficeGamer

fuck my morning is ruined now.. sorry to hear man don't beat yourself up over it it wasn't your fault you didn't notice the lump earlier...

When I used to raise cats I always got a new cat whenever mine died, it always eased the pain (even though I know cats aren't as sentimental as dogs), I dunno what to say maybe buy a new dog so you don't feel sad? Luckily I don't raise pets anymore, I'm one of the idiots who avoids sentimental attachments in order to avoid sadness. I just work and buy video games..

anyway good luck I'm sure you have great memories with Saga you'll always remember and smile!

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear that, dude. I had my own scare with my dog, Kirby, recently involving an infected uterus. Thankfully she's doing much better after being spayed (something we shouldn't have waited 12 years to do...). Saga was a beautiful dog, and it sounds like you did everything you could have done. At least she didn't suffer long. And it's better she died in the home of the people she loved unconditionally (and who loved her unconditionally) instead of in surgery inside a cold Veterinary clinic. Stay strong, duder.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

im crying and i didnt even read the post

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By badsmalltalker

Sorry for your loss duder.

I guess be thankful that Saga didn't have to suffer through anything else related to cancer or surgery recovery, but I feel bad that this all had to happen so fast.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By TruthTellah

If you insist, I will indeed try to hug my cat while it fights to not let my filthy human hands touch it, because that is certainly a sad story. My dog of 15 years died last year, and while it was sad, I knew she had been loved and lived a good life. In the end, we had to put her down to reduce the suffering, but I'm glad she's at peace now.

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I feel your pain friend, I had to put my dog down that I'd had since the 6th grade on Monday. It's still hard when the memory creeps up on me while at work and whatnot but I promised myself I won't forget one of my best friends. Feel better duder.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Marcsman

Sorry for your loss. Hug my best friend as soon as I get done work.. Plus my 16 year old daughter with her best friend.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
NinjaBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NinjaBerd

Sorry for your loss.

I wasn't allowed to have pets when I was a kid. Now that I am a GrownAssManEsquire I have put together a happy little family of two dogs and four cats. I know that eventually one of them will pass and that is going to be a very hard day. I will hug them as soon as possible.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My condolences man, at least she didn't have to suffer through the surgery. When I think about all of the dogs I've lost I like to watch a little episode of the twilight zone based on the rainbow bridge story. I hope it serves you well.

Loading Video...
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My cat is not amused I woke him from his sun beam nap.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am so sorry. She was beautiful.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I hug my dog every day. He's three years old, and I got pretty bad when my last one died at seven. Sory duder..

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Sorry to hear htat duder. Pets are some of the most important people(?) for many owners. As for hugging my cat, she took it but glared disapprovingly.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I'm very sorry about Saga. It really sucks when the pets you love die all the sudden when their projected lifespan is suppose to be longer. My first dog died at the age of 10 as well, but it was due to paralysis and we thought he could possibly get out of it with the treatments we gave him, but it got to a point where the paralysis couldn't be fixed and so we decided to let him go. This happened five years ago and it still makes me emotional thinking about it. I'll hug my current dog once I'm done with my junior year in college.

My prayers go out to you man. Hope you can recover from this loss.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I feel your pain, man. My dogs passed away a couple years ago...

And it sucks. I'm not gonna lie, I cried when we put them in the ground (they happened to die within a couple days of each other). If you don't have a pet, it's easy to overlook how much a pet can really mean to you, and how attached you get to them. I won't say it's the same level as having a sibling or something, but they can mean a lot to you.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OfficeGamer

I've never owned a dog so I gotta ask, is it not as easy for you as it was for me to get a new cat (when I used to like having a pet)?

I mean, your dog dies and it sucks and hurts, but then you buy a new one and before you know it, you've got yourself a new buddy! Why isn't it that easy? It shouldn't be as hard as losing a friend because dogs don't have a sense of humor and all the things that make a human being real special.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you all for the support.

I just talked to the surgeon, and it seems like there wasn't much that could have been done. Saga had a low platelet count caused by the tumor that was bleeding, which would have made surgery even more dangerous. While I wish she hadn't passed in so much pain, she at least knew I was there trying to comfort her. I just need to remember the good times and not that specific moment.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Very sorry to hear that, at least you did everything you could.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AiurFlux

I know that feel bro. I lost my dog last year, after having him for 13 years. A beautiful Husky. And when I watched him die it completely killed me inside. I had that dog for over half of my life and it was family. It wasn't a friend that you can throw away after a few years, it was family. And in a way it was better than having a person for a friend or family, because people to be quite frank fucking suck a majority of the time. A dog, a good dog, will listen to you when you can't go to anybody else and will die for you when it's the only thing standing next to you.

My wife got me a German Shepard for Christmas, and while I love her it just isn't the same. You can't really fill that void to be honest.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

damn, I hate cancer

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

@officegamer: The dogs I've known throughout my life have all had a level of personality that no cat I've known have ever come close to. Cats might as well come off a conveyor belt. :P

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

My dog has just been diagnosed with lymphoma, and there's no easy solutions at this point. I could try chemo, which can't afford, and maybe get one year, or give him pain killers to squeeze out two months at most.

I have no idea how I'm going to deal with this at all.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

@sergio: @zombiepie: I have a dog that's only 5 now and I'm already worrying about what's going to happen to her later on so I can only imagine how rough it must be for you both. There are no words so I guess just know that as a fellow dog owner who loves his dog, I feel your pain and wish you the best.

I've never owned a dog so I gotta ask, is it not as easy for you as it was for me to get a new cat (when I used to like having a pet)?

I mean, your dog dies and it sucks and hurts, but then you buy a new one and before you know it, you've got yourself a new buddy! Why isn't it that easy? It shouldn't be as hard as losing a friend because dogs don't have a sense of humor and all the things that make a human being real special.

You're a goddamn idiot. Full stop.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@zombiepie said:

My dog has just been diagnosed with lymphoma, and there's no easy solutions at this point. I could try chemo, which can't afford, and maybe get one year, or give him pain killers to squeeze out two months at most.

I have no idea how I'm going to deal with this at all.

Fuuuuck. I'm really sorry to hear that, dude. Just thinking about that is making me cry. Stay strong, man.

@officegamer: Dogs have far more personality and exhibit more love than cats generally do. For most dog owners, myself included, buying a new dog too early is really hard because the excrutiating emotional pain of losing your best friend on earth is still fresh in your mind. I nearly lost my dog a month or so ago and I've never more scared or stressed in my entire life. Dogs are just more sociable, playful and loving with their owners and that means a connection with a dog is usually stronger than one with a cat.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my condolences.

i would probably contest that dogs are much more loving than cats. they show their affection and loyalty for sure, sometimes in different or obscure ways but it comes out. and they do have a ton of personality. but i like them both and no reason for that here.

no cats atm but one i had should be returning soon and i'll hug her tight then (at my own risk :\ )

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: I'm very sorry to hear that. Have you looked into any charities that could help cover the cost of chemotherapy?