Posted by RenegadeSaint (1537 posts) -

One quick note about the film, Hugo...

I don't like to be a downer, but boy is this movie overrated. I'm talking Avatar level of overrated. To be blunt, this is a horribly cliched storybook romance with mediocre acting that crawls along at a snail's pace (this coming from someone who thinks Kubrick is the greatest director of all time), only to morph into a completely unrelated movie in the last act, requiring 10 minutes of exposition to make it remotely comprehensible. Whew. I need to catch my breath.

That was kind of a long-winded way of saying this Oscar-nominated, Martin Scorsese-directed, critical darling of a film is really, really boring and I would not recommend it to any one. Harsh? Maybe. True? Definitely.

-n

#1 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

I AGREE

#2 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

I enjoyed it. Maybe it's not the best story ever told in a film, but as an adaptation of a novel, I'm more inclined to blame the source material. Otherwise, I think the film is well made and is quite visually appealing. Plus, there's a good bit of references to film history for those like me who enjoy that stuff. In summary: an overrated film maybe, Scorsese's best film definitely not, but I still think it's a good film.

#3 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

I loved it. I haven't paid much attention to developing film-critiquing skills over the years so I won't try too hard to express what I liked about it, but I thought it was really great.

Basically the charming style the movies oozes, combined with the mysterious story and surprises, made me unable to pause it.

#4 Edited by Winternet (8012 posts) -

Was Avatar that overrated?

Anyway, it depends on what reviews you read/give importance to.