RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Edited By RenegadeSaint

One quick note about the film, Hugo...

I don't like to be a downer, but boy is this movie overrated. I'm talking Avatar level of overrated. To be blunt, this is a horribly cliched storybook romance with mediocre acting that crawls along at a snail's pace (this coming from someone who thinks Kubrick is the greatest director of all time), only to morph into a completely unrelated movie in the last act, requiring 10 minutes of exposition to make it remotely comprehensible. Whew. I need to catch my breath.

That was kind of a long-winded way of saying this Oscar-nominated, Martin Scorsese-directed, critical darling of a film is really, really boring and I would not recommend it to any one. Harsh? Maybe. True? Definitely.

-n

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I AGREE

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I enjoyed it. Maybe it's not the best story ever told in a film, but as an adaptation of a novel, I'm more inclined to blame the source material. Otherwise, I think the film is well made and is quite visually appealing. Plus, there's a good bit of references to film history for those like me who enjoy that stuff. In summary: an overrated film maybe, Scorsese's best film definitely not, but I still think it's a good film.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I loved it. I haven't paid much attention to developing film-critiquing skills over the years so I won't try too hard to express what I liked about it, but I thought it was really great.

Basically the charming style the movies oozes, combined with the mysterious story and surprises, made me unable to pause it.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Winternet

Was Avatar that overrated?

Anyway, it depends on what reviews you read/give importance to.