I made some songs which I really like, but nooobody else

mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By mattysen

So I've been really into my music lately, I think I spend 20 hours last week making stuff that I really like that mean something to me. I've posted them to all my friends and music contacts then I still have like 3 listens on soundcloud...Which are all mine haha. I made a crappy Rihanna remix in two hours going back to my usual club dance sounds and already a few people are raving about that one even though it was made with practically no heart compared to the other more personal ones.

They're obscure as fuck though, I was getting sick of producing shinny commerical music with soo many rules to it that I just went off that completely and made two songs I guess hipsters would now call "post-dub" or "future garage".

They mean a lot to me and took a lot of time and thought, if they found someone who enjoyed listening to them then I'd really appreciate it :-)

mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mattysen

So I've been really into my music lately, I think I spend 20 hours last week making stuff that I really like that mean something to me. I've posted them to all my friends and music contacts then I still have like 3 listens on soundcloud...Which are all mine haha. I made a crappy Rihanna remix in two hours going back to my usual club dance sounds and already a few people are raving about that one even though it was made with practically no heart compared to the other more personal ones.

They're obscure as fuck though, I was getting sick of producing shinny commerical music with soo many rules to it that I just went off that completely and made two songs I guess hipsters would now call "post-dub" or "future garage".

They mean a lot to me and took a lot of time and thought, if they found someone who enjoyed listening to them then I'd really appreciate it :-)

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

It sounds like something James Blake would make.

mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mattysen

@BraveToaster: I take that as a massive complement, big fan of his stuff

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By superpow

I'm really digging it!

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

@mattysen said:

@BraveToaster: I take that as a massive complement, big fan of his stuff

Stick with this and don't make anymore Rihanna mixes.

mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mattysen

@superpow: Cheers dude!

@BraveToaster: Haha, everyone I know music wise is a DJ who plays that crap. Gonna keep on making this weirder music too though definitely

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By IkariNoTekken

Hey, I had to use the forum search to find this thread again but I just wanted to say... great stuff!

Downloaded both and I've listened to Fly To NY quite a few times now.

Keep it up. :)

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Dixego

Oh, well, there's the secret. You can't like your own stuff when you're an artist. You must hate your work. Other people can praise it.

But it sounds good indeed, congratulations.

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dixego

@mattysen: Also, any chance you could tell us (me) what you used to make these pieces? It would be much apreciated.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By laserbolts

Got about a minute into the first song and I had to stop it because it was irritating me. Listen to the second song for a minute and got sick of waiting for it to start.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I just listened to them both. I really like the first song, second is good as well. Keep up making the music you like.

DefAde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DefAde

Sounds like the sort of American (maybe Detroit or Chicago) House music from about 1996 that was so pretentious it disappeared up it's own arse

proflate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By proflate

These songs are good dude. The beats definitely have that UK garage/Burial vibe.

And if you don't know who Burial is immediately get all of his shit because oh my god it's incredible.

And while you're at it give Ametsub a listen too, seems like something you'd be into.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsPL2QoElmw

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rollingzeppelin

This is really awesome, so chill. I feel so relaxed listening to the first song.

Good job, keep it up!

@DefAde said:

Sounds like the sort of American (maybe Detroit or Chicago) House music from about 1996 that was so pretentious it disappeared up it's own arse

I never understood people who describe lyric-less music as pretentious. Maybe if it had some crazy ass time signature and weird instruments, but if an artist is truly inspired to make the music they are making then I can't see how it could be pretentious. I love music that experiments with conventional sound and song structure, even if it's hit or miss, it's the only way to advance and make unique contributions to music.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thomasnash

reminds me of Mount Kimbie. Good stuff, although I was listening on laptop speakers so wasn't getting the full effect, I'm sure.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Random sounds without rhyme or reason put together to make music? Pretty awesome.

theANCIENTgray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By theANCIENTgray

I don't like it. I don't like the talking in the first song and the second one is just boring to me.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By xymox

Have no problems listening to it but it also seems... flat somehow? Can't put my finger on it.

First one, is pretty much any song in the ambient scene post Brian Eno, and perhaps some early industrial "let's use random stuff to make music" feel to it.

Second one has more of a post-black feel but also has a beat, and it's a bit too cheerful. :P

Kind of reminds me of Cabaret Voltaire's album "Mix Up" as well for some reason.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Not my style, sorry, but never stop believing in yourself!

Friends are dicks, they never read my writing either!

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Loafsmooch

Your friends are shallow when it comes to music, don't listen to them.

I really like the sort of dystopian chilly vibes, can imagine myself chilling out to these tracks. The first one reminds me of one of my old favourites http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22RArQ9A8_E

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ghost_cat

I think you are on the right track for chillwave and ambient music. Keep practicing and don't read into people's opinions much. Look out for good suggestions.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Scooper

Really liked Kalopsia. It sounds like the sort of stuff I'm trying to make myself. The mix of guitar was nice and I liked the backwards notes at the end, reminds me of some of the tracks from John Frusciante's mid-90s albums.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Canteu

Just sounds like a random mess to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you're on to something. I liked the second one more but It's probably because I can't stand high pitched voices in songs.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By csl316

Cool stuff. I've been a musician for 15 years and creating electronic music still confounds me. Probably why I enjoy it so much (instead of trying to analyze how it's made, I just experience it).

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By SSully

I think they could be good background music for a game or something, but personally it's not something I would ever just put on and listen to.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By mrfizzy

Not really my sort of music but certainly not bad. I know plenty of people who would listen to that stuff.

mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mattysen

@IkariNoTekken: Cheers man really appreciate it! Chuffed that someone has downloaded it and listens to it!

@Dixego: Cheers duder, used a combo of Ableton Live and NI's Maschine. Lot of bouncing out audio loops, reversing them, slowing them down and up, repitching that kinda thing

@laserbolts: It's not really something to listen intently to, more like sit back and chill vibe glad you gave them a go though

@ImmortalSaiyan: Thanks will do

@DefAde: Haha thanks dude

@Ezekeilpurger: Massive fan of Burial! And I'll deffs give it a listen

@RollingZeppelin: Thanks dude! Good argument too, to the pretentious remark. I love finding new ways to provoke emotions through music

@thomasnash: Yeah love Mount Kimbie definitely that kinda vibe. Thanks for the listen

@TheDudeOfGaming: Cheers duder, way to be

@theANCIENTgray: Thanks for the listen anyway pal

@Xymox: Yeh dude cheers. Wasn't going for any particular scene or genre, just hoy'ed some chords and beats together and see what felt right. It's really hard to get that stuff sounding crispy smooth from a sound engineering point of view lotta analog kit like guitars and I don't have money for preamps and channel strips and stuff sooo just tried my best with vst's and stuff

@TaliciaDragonsong: Cheers dude will do!

@Loafsmooch: Thanks bro I'll give it a listen

mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mattysen

@Ghost_Cat: Thanks bro will do

@Scooper: Thanks bro, big fan of guitar based music

@Canteu: I personally think trying to decode the mess in your own head is how this kinda music is good in my opinion. Cheers for the listen though

@CosmicBatman: Thanks dude, I'll keep at it!

@csl316: @csl316: Yeah thats what I went for with this experimental stuff, like I was getting sick of how strict the 16 bars of one thing then 16 bars of the next so I just sacked that off and went with how I was feeling

@SSully: Fair enough pal thanks for the listen anyway

@mrfizzy: Cheers bra appreciate the support

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Scooper

@mattysen said:

@Scooper: Thanks bro, big fan of guitar based music

@Canteu: I personally think trying to decode the mess in your own head is how this kinda music is good in my opinion. Cheers for the listen though

I know what you mean. I've just spent the last 3 hours trying to find this chord progression that's been stuck in my head today. It was so much fun.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#31  Edited By Little_Socrates

Once they get started, they're really awesome. But they're definitely the kind of thing I'd listen to in the winter on a cold night rather than the summer.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By GeekDown

I really liked the first song, the other one didn't really grab me though. I bookmarked your soundcloud page and I'll gladly listen to anything more that you put out.

mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mattysen

@Scooper: Sounds like good patter :P

@Little_Socrates: It's not particularly sunny this summer in England like so its like winter all year round

@GeekDown: Thanks duder! Happy about that

MrJorOwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MrJorOwe

@Canteu said:

Just sounds like a random mess to me.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By theguy

Hmm the start of the first one reminded me of Explosions in the Sky's "Day 1". Being completely honest I thought the first one could have been better. It felt kind of "scrambled" if you get my meaning? Like the newest Batman movie. It's not the noises you used because I listen to a lot of stuff similar to yours and I don't disregard anything that doesn't use conventional instruments as "noisy" but yours came across that way. Sometimes your samples kind of tripped up the beat and maybe you used too large a variety of different sounds? I know my comment seems negative but seriously underneath what I mentioned sounded like a great song like something from "Mogwai" or "Explosions in the Sky" . Keep at it I think you have potential! My opinion doesn't really count for much but I hope I could provide some constructive criticism.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SmilingPig

That type of "music" is not for me.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By IkariNoTekken

@mattysen: No problem, my man.

Here's a few inspiring pieces for ya mate...

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By Genkkaku

I dig it! The second song I really like, it's the kind of music I listen to while writing, I can see myself pulling something from that..