#1 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

I like history and space a lot, and so by extension I've also become a fan of fantasy and sci-fi, but only recently have I started getting into the books.

Now I find myself having constant ideas for awesome worlds that I myself believe would make interesting books, but I've never been much of a writer, at most I've only scribbled things down a bit before getting annoyed with it and throwing it away. So what would you guys say would be a good way to get myself writing? Does anyone with some writing history have any tips for a beginner?

#2 Posted by N7 (3573 posts) -

You are already doing it.

#3 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

I usually write the ideas of my world before the history. It's easier, at least for me.

#4 Posted by Hunkulese (2650 posts) -

Write

#5 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -

Write everyday. Most of what you write is gonna be shit but write everyday.

#6 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

I guess just start doing it is the best thing to do, it doesn't have to be on a professional level because that will only come with practice.

#7 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Start a blog or blog on here and write something at least once a day. You will get better and better or give up and move on with your life.

#8 Posted by crusader8463 (14414 posts) -

Write a short story a day. You can only improve your skills in something by practising; so practice, practice, practice.

#9 Posted by DeanoXD (608 posts) -

the advice i have always heard from writers, is to write, always be writing on any subject and have people who can correctly critique and correct your work read it. its like any skill i assume, the more you use the better it gets.

#10 Posted by L3atHaFaC3 (9 posts) -

With Cannabis.

#11 Edited by ViciousAnchovy (725 posts) -

The answer to the question you're actually asking is just to write, like N7 said you'r already doing. You seem to be interested in examples of good writing as well. I haven't read a great deal of books, but since you mention being interested in creating a world, I'd suggest reading The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. They both have distinctive worlds with very different tones. Look at how Tolkien and Rowling describe scenes.

As for sci-fi, the only books I've really read from that genre are Star Wars books. I don't really remember the settings so much from any of them as I do the dialogue, which is very helpful in making a world come to life. I suggest the first four books in the X-Wing series as examples of how to handle dialogue (e.g., not every quote ends with "said Wedge"). Those books are by Michael A. Stackpole.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you should try to determine what the parts you like about whatever you're reading are and incorporate them into your own writing. You may not like everything about how one author writes, so ask yourself why that is and why you like what you like.

#12 Posted by Masha2932 (1241 posts) -
@N7 said:

You are already doing it.

This.
#13 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -
#14 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
In addition to what the people above said, you don't have to write from start-to-finish. If you have an awesome scene in your head but haven't written up to it yet, go ahead and write that scene down, you can worry about working the rest of the story up to it later.

Many, many authors don't write in sequence. Forcing yourself to do so can retard your desire to write.
#15 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -

@Aronman789:

Take some classes, maybe. But if you just want to write a bunch of fiction, just write a bunch of fiction; you only get better at writing by, well, writing! Look up some basic grammar rules, too, etc.

#16 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Write whatever's on your mind in a super abridged format. Then expand on it till its a short story length. Then expand till its a novella. Setting out to write a novel from the onset is just begging for failure.

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (36047 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

Write everyday. Most of what you write is gonna be shit but write everyday.

Yea, pretty much that.

#18 Posted by Delta_Ass (3255 posts) -

I think a good way to start is by writing.

#19 Posted by Beforet (2912 posts) -

Keep reading. You will improve much more slowly if you stop exposing yourself to better writing. And, probably the most important, find someone who is honest to read over your work. Another writer, if you can.