I want to start writing more, what's a good way to start?

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aronman789

I like history and space a lot, and so by extension I've also become a fan of fantasy and sci-fi, but only recently have I started getting into the books.

Now I find myself having constant ideas for awesome worlds that I myself believe would make interesting books, but I've never been much of a writer, at most I've only scribbled things down a bit before getting annoyed with it and throwing it away. So what would you guys say would be a good way to get myself writing? Does anyone with some writing history have any tips for a beginner?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By N7

You are already doing it.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MikeGosot

I usually write the ideas of my world before the history. It's easier, at least for me.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hunkulese

Write

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Write everyday. Most of what you write is gonna be shit but write everyday.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I guess just start doing it is the best thing to do, it doesn't have to be on a professional level because that will only come with practice.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By billyhoush

Start a blog or blog on here and write something at least once a day. You will get better and better or give up and move on with your life.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By crusader8463

Write a short story a day. You can only improve your skills in something by practising; so practice, practice, practice.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By deanoxd

the advice i have always heard from writers, is to write, always be writing on any subject and have people who can correctly critique and correct your work read it. its like any skill i assume, the more you use the better it gets.

L3atHaFaC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By L3atHaFaC3

With Cannabis.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The answer to the question you're actually asking is just to write, like N7 said you'r already doing. You seem to be interested in examples of good writing as well. I haven't read a great deal of books, but since you mention being interested in creating a world, I'd suggest reading The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. They both have distinctive worlds with very different tones. Look at how Tolkien and Rowling describe scenes.

As for sci-fi, the only books I've really read from that genre are Star Wars books. I don't really remember the settings so much from any of them as I do the dialogue, which is very helpful in making a world come to life. I suggest the first four books in the X-Wing series as examples of how to handle dialogue (e.g., not every quote ends with "said Wedge"). Those books are by Michael A. Stackpole.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you should try to determine what the parts you like about whatever you're reading are and incorporate them into your own writing. You may not like everything about how one author writes, so ask yourself why that is and why you like what you like.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Masha2932
@N7 said:

You are already doing it.

This.
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fajita_Jim
In addition to what the people above said, you don't have to write from start-to-finish. If you have an awesome scene in your head but haven't written up to it yet, go ahead and write that scene down, you can worry about working the rest of the story up to it later.

Many, many authors don't write in sequence. Forcing yourself to do so can retard your desire to write.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Bruce

@Aronman789:

Take some classes, maybe. But if you just want to write a bunch of fiction, just write a bunch of fiction; you only get better at writing by, well, writing! Look up some basic grammar rules, too, etc.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ryanwho

Write whatever's on your mind in a super abridged format. Then expand on it till its a short story length. Then expand till its a novella. Setting out to write a novel from the onset is just begging for failure.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

@SethPhotopoulos said:

Write everyday. Most of what you write is gonna be shit but write everyday.

Yea, pretty much that.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By delta_ass

I think a good way to start is by writing.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By beforet

Keep reading. You will improve much more slowly if you stop exposing yourself to better writing. And, probably the most important, find someone who is honest to read over your work. Another writer, if you can.