I want to try being a DJ

DemonLeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DemonLeo

BUT I have no idea what I'm doing, what to buy, nothing. I'm completely in the dark here and own precisely zero equipment, so I was wondering,
1. Where can I go to learn?
2. What kind of equipment is good for a beginner? I'm looking to spend at most 100 dollars to start. (This might be a low price, but as I have no idea what I'm doing, I'd hate to break bank and find out I don't really enjoy it.)
So internet, what is a strapping young lad to do?

Brockly46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Brockly46

2 questions answered in 2 words, DJ Hero

DemonLeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DemonLeo

Hahaha, I actually considered buying it. Do you think it really equates to the real thing?

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Ryax
@DemonLeo said:
" Hahaha, I actually considered buying it. Do you think it really equates to the real thing? "
no not at all. being a dj is alot harder than you know. you need equipment, musical skills, technical know how and awesome beats. do you have any of that?
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead

In a club I was in the other week, I saw they were offering DJ lessons for £10 so there's got to be somewhere or something you can learn from. Google a bit and see.

RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RoujinX

Let's start at the beginning. What is some of the music that has inspired you to follow this road?
TrakMastaTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By TrakMastaTom

There is no way you can get even close to what you need for 100 dollars.  For something like 350 you can buy a DJ in a box from Numark I believe.  I'd look on Amazon or at a Guitar Center.  It comes with 2 turntables, a cheapo mixer and headphones. 

That's the cheapest you are going to start out.  Maybe find someone that does this kind of stuff and see if you can mess around with their stuff first.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@DemonLeo:  Hmm... well you could start off by purchasing or downloading cheap or free trial programs on your computer to see if they are for you. 

I bought a program called "Virtual DJ" which allows you to fool around with and mix songs using the digital DJ Turntable software and all the other awesome functions.

However if you mean actual physical DJ'ing using turntables unfortunately i don't know much about that. Maybe look in your local paper and see if there are lessons being given.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By BraveToaster

go to a club and talk to a DJ. i'm sure they don't mind helping other

DemonLeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DemonLeo

Hmmm... That Virtual DJ program sounds quite interesting. How much is it? Has anyone else tried out that piece of software?

Also DJ'ing lessons at a club? Does anyone know of any such programs in the Chicago-land area?

Another bit, I come from a musical background. I know alot about music and play several instruments, and every few years I try out a different instrument/musical skill. Now I've got my eyes on Dj'ing. There's some more info if it helps!

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

I use Virtural DJ for trance, and my buddies have real turntables, and whatnot...so at parties we DJ with a mix of Virtural DJ and the hardware.  We need the software for music, and the gear for mixing.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By dichemstys

Call up Pauly D from Jersey Shore.

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By applet0n

Go talk to Coonce.

mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By mikevanpwn

I recommend messing with Deckadance to start.  You can download the trial version of their program for free at their website.   

The trial program is the complete program except they silence the program for 4 seconds every few minutes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

The world needs more DJs.