• 67 results
#1 Edited by big_jon (5725 posts) -

About the Swarmlord, these are all Works in progress, the Swords are not done at all, and the rest of the model still needs touch up.

Being back into 40k as of late I have been working on my Armies, snapping pictures of some stuff as I go, what do you guys think? Share your own stuff if you have any.

#2 Posted by Omega (835 posts) -

That's cool, did you paint them or do they come pre-coloured? The only experience I have with 40K is the Dawn of War series.

#3 Posted by big_jon (5725 posts) -

@Omega: I painted them.

#4 Edited by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

Isn't Dakka Dakka, Warseer or Bolter & Chainsword a better place to show these minis?

You could at least write something.

The Black Legion dread looks pretty good.

Edit: Saw that you added some text.

#5 Edited by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I just like the Dawn of War games myself. Don't have the money to waste on the toys nor the friends to play them with. Paint job looks nice. Wish they would actualyl allow you to customize down to the nitty gritty detail in the Dawn of War games, but alas.

#6 Edited by big_jon (5725 posts) -

@Gargantuan: I did write something, I was asking for people to share, and asking peoples opinions, I am not a part of any of those forums either, and I thought that some giantbomb guys here might be interested.

Edit: I could not get the text to work after I posted all the Pictures, so I had to edit the post.

#7 Posted by yoshisaur (2716 posts) -

Nice work, however, I hate your window curtains ><.

#8 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

@big_jon said:

@Gargantuan: I did write something, I was asking for people to share, and asking peoples opinions, I am not a part of any of those forums either, and I thought that some giantbomb guys here might be interested.

I noticed that after I posted, sorry for sounding hostile.

Here's one of my Space Wolves terminators

#9 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

I'm not 'into' Warhammer. I don't collect any and I've not read the books or played many of the games. That said, I have always appreciated the fantastic design work in that universe.

You've got some great stuff there.

#10 Posted by big_jon (5725 posts) -

@Gargantuan: That looks amazing, really clean paint job.

#11 Posted by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

Pretty awesome stuff, havent read the books but I also appreciate the design of 40k characters. I am a pretty big fan of the DoW series, speaking of which is Relic still working on DoW 3? Or is THQs financial problems gonna bother that.

#12 Posted by Karkarov (3100 posts) -

Good stuff but you need more world eaters. Why use anything other than Khorne!?!?!?!! Nothing less will suffice. Also needs more bloodthirster.

Good work on the paint jobs though, not bad at all.

#13 Edited by big_jon (5725 posts) -

@maskedarcstrike: I'm not actually sure I really hope so.

I have a friend who works at Relic, I'll ask him.

#14 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

Here's another picture I found. I made this one a couple of years ago. Helmet and shoulderpads are sculpted with Greenstuff 

Half Life 2 inspired conversion 
#15 Posted by cloudnineboya (815 posts) -

some nice personal information in those pics!!

#16 Posted by blindisaac (141 posts) -

I got into Warhammer ealier this month and here is my first Hormagaunt before I put a wash over the whole model. So far i have done 3 of them and have 9 more hormagaunts and a zoanthrope to paint then its onto a hive tyrant and a box of genestealers.

#17 Edited by big_jon (5725 posts) -

@blindisaac: That's cool, pretty good for your first time.

I started when I was 13 and my models looked terrible.

@Gargantuan: That is pretty clever.

#18 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3865 posts) -

Nice work dude those look great! Although you will burn for your heresy. For the Emperor!

#19 Posted by big_jon (5725 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Nice work dude those look great! Although you will burn for your heresy. For the Emperor!

;)

#20 Posted by blindisaac (141 posts) -

@big_jon: Thanks man. I am going to build up a small tyranid army then get a warmachine army so I can be flexible when i go to a game store. A Games Workshop just opened up 20 mins away from me but 2 weeks ago I bought the 40k paint set to try painting and didnt think to thin the paints so the death angels look like crap. Everyone has got to start somewhere though.

#21 Posted by blindisaac (141 posts) -

@big_jon: Also, do you magnetize your minis?

#22 Posted by big_jon (5725 posts) -

@blindisaac: Some of them, Dreadnoughts, 3 out of 4 of my Hive Tyrants, and a Terminator.

#23 Posted by boj4ngles (287 posts) -

May the light of the Emperor burn you from the stars vile traitor!

Awesome stuff dude. How many points is that Chaos army? Looks like 2,000 or there abouts?

#24 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

@big_jon: Very sweet. Are those World Eaters with Iron Warriors or Black Legion?

#25 Posted by Driadon (2998 posts) -

This all look fantastic. I personally haven't touched my Tau army in ages, I just don't have to time or patience at the moment to paint each one. That said, I really do appreciate seeing these fantastic pain jobs :D

#26 Posted by big_jon (5725 posts) -

@Seedofpower said:

@big_jon: Very sweet. Are those World Eaters with Iron Warriors or Black Legion?

I play Black Legion with a small number of World Eaters allies.

#27 Posted by big_jon (5725 posts) -

@boj4ngles said:

May the light of the Emperor burn you from the stars vile traitor!

Awesome stuff dude. How many points is that Chaos army? Looks like 2,000 or there abouts?

That's just a 1750 list, there's a fair bit more than that (6000or7000points) not in the picture.

#28 Posted by Kaiserhawk (62 posts) -
#29 Posted by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

I really like Warhammer 40k and those units all look cool.

#30 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

@big_jon: I know this isn't Dakka Dakka or whatever but I just wanna say I appreciate this thread (and the other similar threads you made). Sure it makes me kinda jealous but maybe one day I will go and finally finish up my small orkz squad.

#31 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3865 posts) -
@Driadon Got my fingers crossed that they're the next dex update. Tau need some love.

@Kaiserhawk Dude those pics are awesome.
#32 Posted by big_jon (5725 posts) -

@supamon: Do it!

#33 Posted by Karkarov (3100 posts) -

Just to keep a cool thread going here is a pic of one of my little khornate buddies. Sad to pull some of these dudes out and see the years on them, this guy isn't too bad off but he has faded some since I originally painted him.

#34 Posted by big_jon (5725 posts) -

@Karkarov: That's awesome.

#35 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Would be a neat hobby to train the virtues of patience and creativity, as well as fine motor skills. Never had the urge myself to do something like this.

Hoping that THQ doesn't drop making kick-ass Warhammer games. Relic's awesome at that. Wonder how Vigil's game will turn out. Hopefully it's a Battlefield-style online multiplayer game - just in 3rd person with an emphasis on kick-ass melee.

#36 Posted by guiseppe (2840 posts) -

Hell yeah, Chaos! :D

#37 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I prefer the regular Warhammer armies. Back when I actually painted this stuff though all the dwarf models were in metal, which made them really boring to build and pretty annoying to paint as well. 

Nowadays I also don't have a good workspace and storage for this kind of thing either so I don't bother. 

But anyway, your paint jobs are much better than anything I ever produced.

#38 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

my older brother plays. he's also a professional artist, so like his stuff is painted crazy good. i wish i had pictures to share of it, cus its REALLY impressive. i dont even know how he gets tiny details like scorch marks on guns. tiny little dents he puts in himself on armor. its pretty nuts.

#39 Posted by Irvandus (2878 posts) -

Cool stuff duder.

#40 Posted by Karkarov (3100 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

my older brother plays. he's also a professional artist, so like his stuff is painted crazy good. i wish i had pictures to share of it, cus its REALLY impressive. i dont even know how he gets tiny details like scorch marks on guns. tiny little dents he puts in himself on armor. its pretty nuts.

It comes from practice. A metric ass ton of practice. That and a really small brush or other tool. I have been known to use tiny needles, shaved down toothpicks, and brushes I purposefully pulled all but like 3-5 hairs out of.

@big_jon: Thanks dude. I will post some more stuff when I get time to take decent pics with decent lighting.

#41 Posted by stinky (1548 posts) -

@big_jon:

chill out on shading with black, more specifically mixing any paint with black.

black is a good underpainting for shadowed areas but is not good for adding volume.

#42 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I'd love to show off my T'au, Tyranids and Dwarfs but I have no camera :(

I can't really comment on your painting abilities (while they are good) because I hate Space Marines so much.

#43 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Will put up some photos of my post-Badab War Executioners and my Alpha Legion soon as I can find my camera

#44 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-15208-2799_Nobz.html

I have some other great stuff (such as Stormboyz made using a kit of Gargoyles), and I think that all of those Nobz are painted now, but I haven't really touched my Warhammer in ages. I keep telling myself that I'll finish one day, but Orks require a great deal of painting.

Also, yes they are blue. I'm colourblind and did not fancy the challenge of working on green Orks.

#45 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3051 posts) -

Good work, but you should have revived the miniatures thread instead of making your own. I would link it if I weren't on a phone.

#46 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

Pretty awesome. Would you mind telling me how much those models cost? I've always been interested in doing these, but it seems pricey. Am I wrong?

#47 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

it seems pricey. Am I wrong?

No. No you aren't. You can easily spend 500 dollars on a moderately sized army, and that's not including books or paint.

#48 Posted by MegaLombax (390 posts) -

The models look great! Looking at the size of the models, must've taken quite a bit to paint them.

#49 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4736 posts) -

Oh God, this thread's giving me the itch to start painting again.

#50 Edited by big_jon (5725 posts) -

@stinky said:

@big_jon:

chill out on shading with black, more specifically mixing any paint with black.

black is a good underpainting for shadowed areas but is not good for adding volume.

That's the colour scheme and no offence I wasn't asking for a critique on whether my Black legion should be black.